It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:48 pm

Post subject: (D10, LM, Open) No Court For You
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:06 am 

It seemed that today there would be no court. That didn't mean no one was in the courtroom. There were servants going all over, delivering messages to and fro as word of the oncoming army was being sent to those waking late.

Poemu had come to the court to relax. She had not yet attended court in the castle, only at the Crane Embassy, and had sat out the one yesterday on moral grounds. The court room was as stark as she had heard, but there were still a few very simple works of art to look at. She could tell this was a military castle, and a military court.

She gave a soft sigh as she looked at a picture of a battle. Probably wasn't a Phoenix work she had to guess.

Post subject: Re: (D10, LM, Open) No Court For You
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:29 am 

"What battle is that, do you suppose?" asked a young Unicorn man, who came up to look at what Poemu was looking at. "I'm guessing these guys in yellow are Lions, but these guys in red... are they Phoenix or Scorpion? Or ... uh ... Hare?" He squinted to try and make out the tiny heraldic mon, which kind of all looked the same to him at the best of times.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:34 am 

Poemu softly started. She had been so focused on the painting that she had not heard the.. man approaching. He looked quite young still, though clearly a warrior. She gave a faint smile and a bow. "Ohaiyo... Moto-sama. This one is Agasha Poemu."

Looking back to the painting, she gave a slight frown of thoughtfulness. "It looks like a Lion battle, but beyond that, I cannot say. I am not really a historian, and what little I do know is definitely not battle history. I cannot make out who they are fighting."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:40 am 

"Yeah, me neither," the Unicorn replied. "And look, none of them have horses except the big boss over here with the war fan." He tapped at the Lion command post. "You'd never catch the Unicorn launching an infantry charge over a river like these guys are doing. The painter sure made them look happy about doing it, though." He grinned.

"Oh, I'm Moto Baatar," he added. "I think I've seen you around in court? You're one of the Important Dragons, aren't you?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:44 am 

"I think all the Dragon are important, but I suppose my duty of Ambassador comes with some greater responsibility, hai." Poemu gave a faint smirk. "As for the tactics of the painting... I am not certain I could name even one clan famous for having even one army dedicated to fighting from horseback before your clan returned to Rokugan Moto-san. Not that I imagine there can't be a unit or two out there I do not know of that has learned to fight that way, but over all, it just isn't something most samurai train to do."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:08 am 

"That seems so strange to me," the Unicorn replied. "My family taught me that learning to fight from horseback is something every warrior should know. I know that isn't something most easterners train to do ... but it seems so limiting, you know? Having to walk around and fight on foot, I mean."

"Is it different for Dragon?" he asked.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:10 am 

The Agasha shook her head softly. "If anything, it is even less common for the Dragon than it is for other clans. We live in the mountains, and there are no horses really well suited to the terrain. The only reason I know how to ride a horse myself is that I was trained outside my clan."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:43 am 

"Oh really?" Baatar asked curiously. "Isn't training with another clan kind of unusual? Or maybe it just seems that way to me... until we got here, us Unicorn didn't know any other clans. How did that happen?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:23 am 

"I suppose you could call it uncommon, hai. It happens for different reasons for different people. On my case, I showed no ability to speak with the kami, and little aptitude for martial matters. Those in the Dragon that wish to take a more courtly route for training are quite rare, so much so we have no courtly school to call our own."

"Normally, one would just train with the Mirumoto and take special training. In my case, my aunt is a Seppun, on my father's side, and used a favor to get me admitted to the Miya Herald's."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:34 am 

"Oh--!" Baatar said, eyes widening in recognition. "I just met another Miya herald yesterday - Miya Yakitori. He had just arrived from Toshi Ranbo and had stuff to say about the Emperor's brother. You're like him, then? Do you ride around delivering news?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:55 pm 

Poemu looked surprised. She hadn't known that there was a Miya in town. "While I suppose I could, I work as an ambassador instead Moto-san. My clan needs my skills more in the court than on the road."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:44 pm 

"I know the feeling," Baatar said with a sympathetic nod. "I'd rather be out riding with my kin, too, but my clan needed me to attend court in East Lionstan all winter. It's...it's a little new to me, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I was nervous about speaking in court at first, but now I think people are starting to listen to me. Have you felt like that? Or maybe with Miya training you're already very good at it."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:57 pm 

"I am not certain how good I am at speaking, though I am trained in it and do try my best." Poemu paused, then smiled. "I like to believe others listen to me and take my words into consideration all the same."

"Were you trained for the courts Moto-san? I suppose I do not know how training works for the Unicorn, but I assume there must be those trained as diplomats, hai?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:20 pm 

"Trained for the courts? Not at all, I'm afraid," Baatar admitted. "We didn't have many formal courts while riding east. Oh, we have a few who are trained diplomats who can talk with caliphs and pharaohs and such, but me, I'm a warrior by training."

"My clan asked me to come to court way out here, though, so I've needed to learn-by-doing. I do think I've been getting better; I haven't had any big problems ever since the spiked tea incident."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:47 pm 

Poemu raised an eyebrow, but propriety overcame curiosity. "I am surprised that the Unicorn did not have you join their expedition for Shinjo-Kami. I am certainly glad for your presence here and now Moto-san, but I had thought they would need every blade they could muster."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:21 pm 

"I would've liked to have gone," Baatar admitted. "But as one of the few samurai who had any experience talking with people in Rokugan, my duty was here."

"Maybe it's for the best, though," he rationalized. "It looks like Big Things are afoot in Rokugan, so this way, us Unicorn will get a say in court. Maybe on the battlefield too, if it comes to that." He grinned.

"What about you, Agasha-sama?" he asked. "What do the Dragon think of all this business with the Steel Flower and the spirits?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:25 pm 

"That is a heavy and hard question Moto-san, but I think the basic views of my clan seem to be summed up that the less violence the better, the more lives saved." Poemu looked thoughtful. "...Though it seems anymore than we do not all agree on the path toward that goal. That is hardly a surprise from us though. We have many free thinkers, or at least deep ones."

Pausing, the Dragon looked to Baatar again. "I do not believe I've seen any other Unicorn besides yourself Moto-san. Are you alone in representing the Unicorn in this time? A heady responsibility indeed."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:33 pm 

Agasha Poemu wrote:
"That is a heavy and hard question Moto-san, but I think the basic views of my clan seem to be summed up that the less violence the better, the more lives saved."

"Well, um, violence might be unavoidable at this point," Baatar hedged, having shot arrows at a diplomatic delegation recently. "Sometimes bad people need to be killed before things can be worked out. I'm pretty sure Akodo said that? Or...if not, he should have."

Agasha Poemu wrote:
"I do not believe I've seen any other Unicorn besides yourself Moto-san. Are you alone in representing the Unicorn in this time? A heady responsibility indeed."

"I was the only one til recently," Baatar affirmed. "Yesterday, my cousin's wife Akemi arrived in Nikesake, and an Otaku battle maiden as well. I wrote back to the Unicorn early on, and I'm hoping my clan will send more reinforcements once they realize how serious the situation is here."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:39 pm 

"As you say, of course." She smiled faintly, somewhat sadly. "Perhaps it would be better said that we wish as little violence as possible. It is not as if the Dragon are pacifists Moto-san, merely that we wish blood shed with reason as an end."

At the note that two other Unicorn had arrived, Poemu nodded. Perhaps if she had been in court yesterday... "I imagine any letter to Unicorn lands would take some time. I pray that you are right, and that there is some help on the way. That assumes that the Unicorn remaining are all more decisive in what to do than others."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:43 am 

"Oh, my big bosses are decisive enough," Baatar replied. "Though, my voice isn't very loud among their councils, and this war is far from the Unicorn provinces, so I don't know if they'll listen to me. But I hope so."