It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:40 pm

Post subject: Contingencies, contingencies [D10, LM, Closed]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:59 am 

While not the earliest of birds in the world, Degarashi typically found himself awake far earlier than he did today, and generally enjoyed waking up in his own time. That made it especially irritating that one of the few times he stayed up late drinking with a friend, his later schedule was rudely interrupted by running feet and the occasional shouted order.

Most of that irritation vanished when he'd flagged down a servant and asked for an explanation, and now his frustration was replaced by a nervous trepidation. Once again the city was about to be attacked, and once again the possibility of having to abandon the walls cropped up inside his mind.

Which was why he now stood where he was, as presentable as he could manage on short notice, standing outside Yogo Sukima's room. Taking a deep breath to steady himself, he gently scratched at the door to announce himself.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

Post subject: Re: Contingencies, contingencies [D10, LM, Closed]
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:04 am 

"One moment, please."

There was some quick shuffling behind the door and a couple of what might have been quiet cursing on the other side of the door. Soon, a rather tired-looking Sukima opened the door, dressed more simply than usual, her hair still in its long braid for sleeping and not makeup applied yet in preparation for court.

Seeing Degarashi, she stepped aside to let him in. "Bayushi-san, please come in. What's going on?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:14 am 

Degarashi bowed, deeply but quickly, and moved past Sukima into the room. He remained standing as he spoke.

"The forces of the Steel Chrysanthemum have been spotted barely a few hours out from the city walls. It's likely they'll be here by the afternoon."

Having been in Toshi no Omoidosu for the previous assault, the raw nerves in Degarashi's voice were audible just beneath his heavily controlled On.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:48 am 

She let out a breath through her nose and nodded sharply.

Sorry, Onii-sama... just one more day.

"I see. What do you propose?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:57 am 

Now Degarashi chose to sit, bracing his hands against his knees to keep them from shaking.

"I was there for the last siege. We held, but it was a near thing, and even with victory we were marshaled here to Nikesake. I can only assume similar results here, especially given the lack of preparation."

He was silent a moment, letting the weight of that assessment sink in. "I've been in contact with a member of the Tortoise. If I'm to understand him correctly, he has a reliable method of vacating the city. If true, a small number of individuals could make their way out under the Steel Chrysanthemum's notice and make their way forward to prepare his next target before his arrival. I'm growing quite weary of living within walls so carelessly tended..."

Degarashi shook his head. "It's not a certain thing, but if my arrangements hold, I do not think you should risk remaining here during the siege."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:50 pm 

"Mm... Politically, I could be considered a high value target... If they know I'm here," she said with a slight nod. "Ordinarily I would balk at running away, but I'm not going to be any good here and potentially a liability for the mentioned reason. Moving ahead, the next place may have some time to prepare for the refugees a little bit. I think I understand. You said a few people. Who else do you intend?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:58 pm 

"Gather forces to travel with us and assist. Those good with weapons in case of trouble, scouts to lead the way and speed us along. One or two familiar with siege engineering and logistics. Wherever the Chrysanthemum ends up next, I intend to make him pay greatly for it, if possible." Degarashi inclined his head towards Sukima. "Your word would do a lot further than mine in pushing such action forward, as an added bonus. And we'd certainly want my Tortoise friend with us when we arrive. He's proven most resourceful in securing passage where there might otherwise be none."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:13 pm 

"I understand. It's a good idea, Bayushi-san. I'm all for it." She replied, pacing a little. "Too much of a force will draw attention. You'll have to exercise careful judgment on how many to take."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:17 pm 

"I'm well aware, Sukima-denka. I've already begun considering what might and might not be necessary. I've got at least one contact I can assuredly press into service, but the others would be volunteers." Degarashi scrubbed a hand over his face nervously. "Are there any you might suggest? Anything else I might need to consider before gathering my resources?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:30 pm 

"No one who wouldn't be defending the city," she replied. "Do you have a runner in mind to let the group know should the city be held after all?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:35 pm 

"Nobody specific, no. I'll take care to search for one alongside everything else."

He inhaled deeply, the breath shuddering through his chest both as it entered and as it left. Then he hunkered down slightly, as if seeking warmth within the confines of his clothing. "This whole situation is raking itself across what's left of my nerves."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:01 pm 

She stepped over and put a hand on his shoulder, not unlike he had when she was being a sad drunk the other day. "I know. Mine, too."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:05 pm 

Degarashi looked up at Sukima gratefully, placing one of his hands over hers in thanks. After a few stabilizing breaths, he regained something of his usual outward demeanor, and gave Sukima's hand a playful squeeze. "You know, now's probably a great time to indulge that vice of yours, whatever it is. Might not be a good opening for a while."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:12 pm 

A smirk broke out across her formerly serious face. "Hmm. Have you figured out what it is yet?" She asked, a playful tone creeping into her voice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:17 pm 

"I'll admit I haven't had time to... devote much attention...to it..." Degarashi gradually trailed off as the atmosphere in the room abruptly changed. His eyes followed the line from where his hand still gently grasped Sukima's, up to her face, which had also changed significantly.

Still without releasing her hand, the tomato that used to be Degarashi struggled to come up with something clever to say.

"Eh?!?"

Nailed it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:27 pm 

She lowered herself into a sitting position - more comfortable since he wasn't letting go just yet - trying to restrain a grin. "Hmm? Is something amiss, Bayushi-san? I see some kind of lantern has been lit on the subject."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:39 pm 

The more Degarashi tried to bring his thoughts under control, the more control he lost, and they were well into a failing spiral by this point in time. The part of him that hated being caught with his hakama down kept twisting the idea until the analogy had well and truly fallen apart. He needed to breathe.

Problem with that was that every breath was filled to the brim with Sukima.

He started shaking again, for an entirely different reason this time, and forced himself to look the stunningly beautiful woman in the eyes. "I don't suppose you have a way to... quench that fire?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:48 pm 

She slipped her hand from under his to slide down to the center of his chest, pushing him backward gently. It wasn't forceful, more suggestive. "Since you asked so nicely, I have a few ideas..."

/ftb