It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:38 pm

Post subject: Re: D7 EE: Another Bird in the Hand... (Inn, Open!)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:07 pm 

Something about the Kasuga's words seemed to deeply touch the Shosuro, not that anything in particular was said, but the Scorpion dropped their head and seemed to slap his palm on the wood floor.

They sat back again in a proper seiza after then, seeming to to have mastered themselves again.

When Allowed: Armor, Yumi/Arrows

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:33 am 

He tried not to jump at the sudden slap on the floor, but it was sudden and he certainly wasn't expecting it. So maybe a small flinch.

Quote:
I've never heard of guard peafowl. Geese, yes, but not peafowl. Is it common?

He moved himself and his tea accoutrements so that both the Kasuga and Shosuro could see at the same time. Carefully though, he didn't want to startle the bird.

Status 1.0 * Glory 2.0 * Honour: As Expected
Carries: Wakizashi, fan, scroll satchel, wax tablet & stylus, paper, often kites.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:11 am 

The Tortoise raised an eyebrow at the Scorpion's reaction but said nothing, observing and taking another sip of tea. The peafowl, however, paused from its meal and quickly lifted its head up to look at the commotion - it did not move from its place but did cock its head to one side as it stared at the Scorpion. Confusion? Curiosity? Either way, all it did was stare back for now.

When it looked like the man had risen from the floor and all was well once again (or so Asakuro assumed...), he looked over to the Phoenix. "Mmm... geese I have also heard, Asako-san, as even without proper training they are quite aggressive creatures, very protective of their mate and their nest, a protective nature that makes them quite good for the task. Peafowl trained as such? Very rarely, and only in... distant places, shall we say," he noted while he rubbed his chin with his fingers. Very distant places like those out in the far reaches of the Burning Sands, for one, but that was neither here nor there - certainly not here...

"You know, this peafowl still answers to no name. If I am to train it properly, then it will need to be properly addressed. I was partial to 'Motoko' but am open to suggestions."

Carries: Fan, personal seal, wakizashi, chopsticks, water bottle, kiseru, small knife, sake cup
Sometimes featuring now: Mamoru the Frazzled Peafowl!
Language Colors: MerenaeThrane
Profile!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:36 am 

Matoko?

Kitamaru didn't know many male Matoko.

Looking at the bird, he cocked his bead, mirroring the expression. The Scorpion and peafowl seemed to be having a contest. Or perhaps only Kitamaru thought so.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:04 pm 

Ayano glanced at the Scorpion again. He certainly seemed fascinated in the bird.

Quote:
Maybe 'Mamoru'? If he is to guard things.

He blinked giving Asakura a questioning look.

Carries: Wakizashi, fan, scroll satchel, wax tablet & stylus, paper, often kites.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:49 pm 

"Mamoru, Mamoru... does have a nice cadence to it. I will take it into consideration, Asako-san!" Asakuro responded warmly with a nod to the Phoenix.

The peafowl, meanwhile, seemed to be not so interested in its food anymore and in fact appeared quite fascinated by Kitamaru staring at it. It blinked a couple of times before tilting its head in the opposite direction.

"At least something with an 'Mmm' sound to it, I think, if it is to be housed in the same spot as the royal Mojaku after all," the Tortoise added, tapping his chin a couple more times before picking up his teacup again to partake of more bitter drink.

Carries: Fan, personal seal, wakizashi, chopsticks, water bottle, kiseru, small knife, sake cup
Profile!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:19 am 

So there would be more than one peafowl together. This caused Ayanojo to think further on the matter.

Quote:
Are they territorial? They won't fight?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:52 am 

"They can be, Asako-san, but I believe more so in particular if there are peahens about for which to mate. There are no peahens as it currently stands at the Menagerie for which they would fight about, so perhaps that mitigates things somewhat. Still, this bird's temperament is yet unknown. Mojaku will behave - his previous trainer, Seppun Akira-sama, spent many years handling him to ensure of such - but I cannot say the same for this one. So long as this one gets some rudimentary training before the two of us travel to the Menagerie, I think the arrangement might do temporarily until a separate enclosure can be finished for this one - Mojaku still needs the spot of prominence, after all," he considered aloud based on the Phoenix's question.

The peafowl, meanwhile, tilted its head back to the other side, still watching the Scorpion watching him watching back.

Profile!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:50 pm 

He hadn't considered they might only fight over potential mates and sat back to think about that while watching the peafowl and Shosuro staring match continue.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:05 pm 

Tilt one way.

Tilt the other.

The Shosuro and Peafowl seemed to indeed be playing a game.

"Mamoru-chan, eh?"

A nod.

Kitamaru looked to the others.

"Perfect. Well conjured, Asako-san."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:47 am 

A happy grin was his first reply. The second took a moment longer to write out.

Quote:
I'm glad you like it Shosuro-san.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:02 am 

"Ha... so Shosuro-san agrees, and so it shall be! A fine choice indeed, Asako-san," he said with a smile, lifting his teacup gently to each of them in appreciation before taking another sip. "Nameless no more, oh feathered one - arise now as Mamoru-chan!" he proclaimed and toasted to the peafowl as well.

Mamoru, as the bird would now forever be known as, did not in fact arise but instead did quite the opposite, setting its head as low as it could to the ground without actually touching it, eyeing the Scorpion across from it the entire way.

"... well. That trick might take a little work yet," Asakuro stated with a chuckle and a slight shake of his head. "Hopefully the rain will let up in the next day or so such that this one will not have to trudge through too much to take this one walking. It seems like there has been some sort of rain or snow this entire week - first at Toshi no Omoidoso and still falling upon arrival here. You both have been at winter here for some time and I am not familiar with this city as much, at least not having spent any significant time: does it normally rain in this area for so long?" he wondered.

Profile!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:06 pm 

Ayanojo shook his head immediately.

Quote:
No Kasuga-sama. Something has agitated the water kami to this level.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:19 pm 

Agitated.

Kitamaru looked across the way. A servant was near the entrance, holding a cloth bundle.

Kitamaru stood.

"Unfortunate." What the Shosuro meant might be difficult to tell. He bowed to the others, even Mamoru (perhaps especially?).

"I've not been here long myself, portends are poor however. And now, i must go. Might I find you here another night, should i come calling?"

Maybe he was asking them both.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:39 pm 

Quote:
I come here some nights. For the tea.

There had been quite a pause as he thought while writing 'tea'. It had almost been 'least worst tea in town'.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:23 pm 

"If not in the evenings, most certainly the night: this place is quiet enough that I think Mamoru-chan will be less distracted and noise-prone as compared to some of the busier inns on this street. If you send word, I will ensure food is prepared... maybe even a nice, warm sake instead of tea to wind down the evening next time," Asakuro responded with a slight grin, setting down his teacup so that he could fully stand.

"Safe steps on the stones in this heavy rain, Shosuro-san," the Tortoise said, offering a bow as he wished the man safe travels. Mamoru, either in mimicry or otherwise, also lifted his neck before lowering it back down.

Profile!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:02 pm 

Kitamaru bowed again, then picked up the package from the servant and took his leave.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:19 am 

The Asako returned Kitamaru's bow and watched him leave. Scorpion were always strange but that one even more so.

Quote:
Does Kasuga-sama have any other birds? Or just peafowl?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:39 am 

"Other birds? Well, while Mojaku the peafowl has the most prominent display, the Menagerie does have at least one pond with some crane in them and some herons too, and then there is a section of cages of various sizes containing such birds as the crow, oriole, sparrow, nightingales, wrens, canaries, mockingbirds, a couple other songbirds, an owl of the night... I think that might account for them all?" he trailed off for a moment, finger returning to scratching at his chin lightly as he thought and considered.

"I do not keep them caged, but there is a pair of gulls that like to visit a particular part of the grounds now and again. And I do not have an eagle, though that is another majestic bird of prey that would make for a wonderful complement. For all that are not birds of prey that I might trust could live together in some amount of harmony, my dear wife Yukari hopes that we might one day host them together in some fashion. How one would put together a space large enough for them to roam and fly between trees yet contained enough so that they might not escape, yet transparent in some fashion so that all across the land might come still see them flutter about and sing their beautiful songs... a vision, perhaps, but one I have not yet figured out how to bring to the Menagerie, at least not anytime soon."

A sigh released as he poured himself another cup of tea. With the Scorpion departed, Mamoru seemed much less interested in the two talking and not playing with him, and so he waddled back over top of his bowl and went back to picking at the remaining greens contained within.

"Does Asako-san have a favorite bird? Besides the mighty and majestic phoenix, I am sure," he added with a grin.

Profile!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:27 pm 

Ayanojo grinned at the question.

Quote:
You already mentioned it. The noble eagle that soars like a kite.