It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:38 pm

Post subject: Not Making That Mistake Again [D1 EE]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:02 pm 

The Piranha magistrate was wandering the halls of the Shiro, becoming acquainted with the layout. He had not done so at Morikage Toshi and so ended up lost and displaced in the initial fighting. He didn't want a repeat if the slaughter spirits forced their way in, so he was familiarizing himself as best he could. He offered greetings and words of thanks to those Lion that guarded the place as they came in contact but did not wish to impede there duty any more than asking directions might.

Equipment: Daisho, light armor, naga scimitar, personal seal, notebook, parchment & charcoal, ink brush kit

Post subject: Re: Not Making That Mistake Again [D1 EE]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:06 pm 

A somewhat familiar face appears at the other end of the corridor...

Sukekage bows, then looks over the Piranha carefully and quietly, before finally nodding.

"Kinjaku-san," he says with some confidence. "I thought that was you I spotted earlier."

"It is not in my nature to be a villain, and one must remain true to one's nature."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:13 pm 

It did not take him long to place the face of a Scorpion that would be familiar with that name. "Bayushi Sukekage-sama?" he replies with a small smile.

Approaching closer and offering a bow. "It has been some years. A bit of a shock, but a pleasant surprise, to see you here. As you might guess from the mons, I am no longer a wave man. Allow me to reintroduce myself, I am Ryuuta Kin, magistrate of the Piranha. How have you been?"

Equipment: Daisho, light armor, naga scimitar, personal seal, notebook, parchment & charcoal, ink brush kit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:18 pm 

"Ryuuta-sama, then," notes Sukekage. "Well, well, well, you have done well for yourself. Hard to believe, but very good to see. I've been well...well enough, I suppose. The years have not been as successful as they've been for you, but I have my health and modest respectability, and that's all I can ask for. Ah, but how about you? Your brother, Kintoki-san, as well - I trust you both have prospered since our last meeting?"

"It is not in my nature to be a villain, and one must remain true to one's nature."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:25 pm 

"Kin is fine. What is position compared to shared experiences, especially with a mentor and friend." He smiled gently at memories that temporarily washed away the brutality of slaughter spirits, replaced with honorable killing of criminals.

"The last letter I got from Kintoki was good. He has sworn fealty with the Usagi, which I think suits him well. He always wanted to be the more heroic between us, so following in the footsteps of Reichin-no-shiryo seems appropriate. He is a nikutai among their forces."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:29 pm 

"Among the Hare, really?" asks Sukekage with a slight smile. "My first assignment was with them, and Shiro Usagi was where I met..."

He pauses, the smile fading slightly.

"It doesn't matter. I'm just glad to know the promise I saw in the two of you had the chance to be realized. I do wish that our reunion had been under better circumstances, though..."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:37 pm 

Kin politely ignores what was likely a very personal matter. If Sukekage ever wished to speak with him about it he would have a willing ear, but he was not one to press into personal matters that he had no jurisdiction over.

"That would have been ideal," Kin agrees. "This is a terrible mess, and yet again the people of the empire will suffer needlessly. I've seen what the creatures that born of our ancestors are capable of. It is terrible. There is no hesitation, so if you come in contact do not hesitate."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:44 pm 

"I don't plan on it," Sukekage replies. "I may be trained for the courts, but I know my way around a blade, and I'm quite prepared to oppose those who have Returned in violation of the natural order."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:54 pm 

Kin nodded, happy that he had offered forewarning to Sukekage, then moves on to something unrelated to that terror. "Well, you've got some of the over view of what happened with my brother and I. What have you been up to since we last saw each other?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:12 pm 

Sukekage sighs.

"I've been shipped from one court to the next, trying to find a place where I fit," the Scorpion replies. "It's difficult for those of us who follow the path I find myself on, you understand. Those of us who hold true to integrity and virtue are never fully trusted by our kin... So, I've been up and down the coast, from the rough courts of the Hiruma through the glamorous Crane palaces to the simple homes of the Shiba. Even to some place called Naishou, which I didn't even know existed until I was sent there."

He shakes his head.

"I find myself largely left to my own devices - my station intact, but not suited to the clan's work. That's how I came to be here, in fact. An informant sent a missive telling of the...the recent tragedies, and I hurried here hoping that I might be of some service to the survivors."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:30 pm 

"Well, I would have imagined that with the strengthening relations between the Scorpion and Lion over the years, those on your path would find them in Lion courts more and more," Kin replies, curious. "But I do hope that you have at least enjoyed the travel and at least some of your assignments."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:37 pm 

"Dealings with the Lion have been good - for both sides - but it is that very reason that kept me away from their courts," Sukekage replies. "Such relationships require careful work; too much to trust with a near-outsider like myself. Still, I do think I enjoyed the travel I did, and I met some of the most interesting people along the way... Again, I suppose I can't ask for more."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:48 pm 

"Well, despite the perceptions of your Clansmen, I have no doubt you've acquitted yourself in the best manner you are capable of in their service. And I'm glad you've had ample opportunity to perform your duty in a way that you find pleasing."

After a short pause, he asks, "Would you be willing to continue walking with me? I am trying to familiarize with the castle."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:03 pm 

"A quite good idea," says Sukekage as he falls into step beside Kin. "While I certainly hope we won't be called upon to defend it, it's best to be prepared."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:09 pm 

"Yes. When I was at Morikage Toshi I was thrown from the second floor into a snow bank. Tweaked my ankle but I was fortunate enough that a priest was nearby and attended to it," he says with a nod. "I'd prefer not to have a repeat of not knowing my footing."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:04 pm 

The Scorpion shakes his head.

"I still can't believe it - that the Imperial Winter Court degenerated into...into that. Such events are meant to be sanctified periods of peace granting us momentary relief from the shadow of violence."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:17 pm 

"Nobody expected it that I'm aware of, except for the instigator," Kin says with a bit of heat in his voice. "But now we know and we have to be prepared."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:16 am 

"Well...the keep here seems fairly defensible, although I'm not sure it's ever been truly tested. Still, with the Lion entrenched here, it has a good chance of holding. The only ways in and out are two major roads. One was the route south taken by the refugees from Morikage Toshi, which continues on toward the capital, and another to the west passing through Nikesake. A third, smaller road leads to the port, but that will be prove difficult to use as an entrance or exit until the thaw."

The corridor leads past a window that overlooks the city, and Sukekage pauses a moment to look out over it.

"I plan to begin a survey of the city and its environs tomorrow," he continues, "to determine what might be useful in the mounting of a defense, as well as the securing of a way out for noncombatants..."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:31 am 

"It would probably be ideal to evacuate non-combatants sooner rather than later," Kin states looking over the city alongside Sukekage.

"I don't know how far behind the threat is though, and scouting would be necessary before moving anyone out of the city in mass. If they abandoned the pursuit so that they could move the flank the city, then evacuation may be an impossibility. I doubt that those creatures would be interested in a prolonged siege though. Far too murderous for that."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:35 am 

"That could be terribly bad news," says the courtier, shivering, "as they'd be more likely to simply fire the city if taking it proves too difficult. A keep of stone might survive that, but anything else..."