It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:08 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: [D9 - EE] Wolfing Down Dinner (Closed)
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:45 am 

"I can only imagine you will have the chance to visit again in time. Perhaps during the spring. That is the best time to be south of the passes if you ask me," she said with a soft sigh. Kyuden Miya wasn't a pleasant memory for any of her former kin. It was hardly the fault of the city, but the trek north to those lands had to happen through somewhere.

"You do seem to have a lot on your plate. What do you do when you have time to relax, -sama?"

Description, Character Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:14 am 

Poemu knew an ambassador's duties rarely allowed for travel, but it was a nice thought all the same. "Well, I spend much of my time alone riding, if I can. I quite enjoy time on horseback out in nature. I like reading as well, and if I can, I'll read out by a stream or tree."

"What of you Mari-san? A pilgrimage must have some free time as well."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:22 am 

"I do not often have the chance to read any longer, though when the chance is there it is nice to study from time to time. I suppose, though, if there were things I most enjoyed, it was sharing a story with good company, or being out in the midst of nature, among the quiet of the wild creatures." As strange as it might sound to have two so disparate pastimes, she appreciated them both.

"And I suppose that I have ample free time when a task is not before me. Plenty of time to spin a tale or two wouldn't you agree? I am no omoidasu, but I like to think that I do a decent job of that. I suppose you don't get much of a chance to read outside in this rain, though."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:30 am 

Poemu nodded and smiled. "Oh, I do enjoy a good story as well. I'm not at all good at telling them, but I could listen all day. Perhaps one day I should try reading up on how to do so well. Or how to write."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:36 am 

She leaned back on her cushion as she smiled. "We'll be waiting a moment on the food, so perhaps you would allow me to tell you a tale in the meantime? Something to pass the time? Is there a particular sort of story that might interest you?" It was, as much as anything, a bit of a curious gauge of what this woman might find entertaining. She certainly had a few options in her repertoire to try and get her attention.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:59 am 

That polite excitement returned to Poemu's face. "Allow? Fortune's Mari-san, it would more be that you allowed me to listen! Any tale would be wonderful. Ano... perhaps whichever one you believe your favorite."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:31 am 

"I have quite a few favorites... but perhaps a sad one? Yes... I love the stories of old whimsy, of spirits and of the hengeyokai. They are always ones that make me feel at home in their way." She settled back and smiled to herself, considering the options. No, nothing too dark. It carried far too much risk.

"There was a man in a village not far from where I was born... this would be a few generations now gone. Old Taka, the children used to call him. They thought him queer, for he did not marry though many had come to call upon him in his youth, and he always lived not far from the shrines of the family in town. The people would go once in a while, but most only ever went to the main shrine, and it was said that Old Taka never did save on the festivals. He was no priest, so the people always why he lived off in the distance."

She took a sip of her tea, quietly remembering the story as it had been told to her. "Old Taka was no youngster, long past when any proper man would have retired, when he grew ill. Age and infirmity were claiming him when his younger sister and her children came to attend to him. As they looked in on him on his death bed, they found there a small, white butterfly resting on the pillow next to his head."

"His niece shooed it away, and yet it returned again only to be shooed a second time. On the third, she chased after the pest in the hopes of ensuring that he was not pestered by the little bug. As she chased it, she saw it go into the family shrine. She lost track of it only as she turned a corner deeper within, finding a small, clean corner with a tiny shrine. The name 'Akiko' as on the shrine's plaque. Flowers adorned it, nearly covering it. It was cleaned, and there was an incense holder before it that still smelled of yesterday's scent. She stared in awe at the little shrine because it had been tucked away so far and yet been loved so long."

A sad smile reached her face. "When she returned and told her mother, Old Taka's sister smiled and said 'Akiko? I have not heard of darling Akiko for fifty years. She died of a famine a long time ago. I think Taka was pledged to marry her, and when she passed he'd promised to visit her shrine. I suppose he must have all this time. What do you tink? Was that Akiko's spirit, welcoming him to Meido with her?"

( Storytelling 34 as I shamelessly rip off old japanese folk tales.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:13 pm 

It was a tragic tale indeed, but at the end, Poemu was softly smiling. "Perhaps. Or perhaps it was a messenger from Tengoku. Surely such a pious man would be so blessed."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:40 pm 

She mused to herself, tapping her lips as a gentle rap at the door heralded the food. The advantage of a little tale like that was that it took up the time needed for the rest of the food to arrive. She smiled a bit off-handedly. "You aren't wrong. It could be seen as a story of pious devotion, rewarded by the heavens for the care of the woman's memory. I have always heard the story told as a tale of love and romance, and like all such tales there is a hint of tragedy to it, of loss. The samurai are not permitted such dalliances normally, are they?"

She knew it all too well herself, though as a ronin she was both free, and as one under certain other burdens, it wasn't necessarily wise in all cases. "Yet still so many of the stories I hear are of love. I wonder why." Oh, she had ideas, but she was curious about Poemu's thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:28 pm 

Poemu watched the food be brought in, but paid attention to the question instead as things were laid out. "Ah, well, I was not certain the man was a samurai, but I believe both are answered the same. Love is something everyone wants, even if they would follow their lord rather than seek it out. A story is a way to live love through the story of another without breaking their own loyalty."

She gave a shy smile, looking down into her cup. "I am lucky in that the man I was arranged to marry is one that I love as well, but not all end up that way."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:34 pm 

"Is that so? A fortunate outcome. It does not happen often, since it is usually more of a duty, and families grow to have affection over time," she said, tilting her food was set down and the two were once again left in privacy. She bowed her head in thankfulness. "Would you tell me of him, perhaps? I must imagine that it is lonely to be apart from someone you care for in that way."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:53 pm 

"It is not so uncommon among the Dragon, since we do not do much with politics and favors. Still, I agree, I am quite pleased that we get along." After looking up with a smile, she looked down into her cup again shyly.

"I am not certain what to say about Abe-kun. He was a Miya before he married into my family. He is also trained as a Herald, and he is a few years older than I am. Very handsome, though I suppose I am a bit biased in the matter." She paused, finger running over the rim of her cup. "I suppose I DO miss him quite terribly, but I know that we will see each other soon enough. We all do our duty, and this is no different."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:10 pm 

She smiled over at her. "Some clans are less inclined to a political match I hear. The minor ones, and families with a bit less standing aren't always asked to make advantageous marriages." She knew in her own life that the family of a gokenin of a forgotten village was not one that usually demanded anything of advantage beyond the eldest, which she certainly wasn't. "It is a gift to be able to match for feelings, rather than duty. An heir is duty, but the rest is pleasant."

She took a bite and chewed between thoughts while speaking to the woman. Honestly, these samurai didn't now what they missed out on. Pork was perhaps the only thing she forgave the Unicorn for. The only. A quick swallow and she looked back over. "What is it that attracted you to him, if I am not being too personal?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:44 pm 

"Attracted..." She flushed just a bit, but looked thoughtful rather than embarrassed. "Well, like I said, he's handsome, and very kind. He's an honorable and compassionate man, and he's actually quite good at singing as well."

That comment brought a slight sheepish smile to Poemu's face, which she hid by eating some rice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:07 pm 

She smiled over at her and winked once. "Nothing wrong with being won over by a fine singing voice. A warm voice can make even the coldest ice melt." She seemed amused by that, picking up the thing that had caught Poemu's attention. 'He's an honorable man' was the sort of thing she imagined you were supposed to say, but that sounded like one of the first things that had caught the young woman's eye.

"When did you first hear him sing?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:10 am 

Poemu softly scratched at a cheek in embarrassed shyness. "Before we were arranged actually. Abe-kun served in Kyuden Miya itself, and he sang at one of the local festivals. I was only ten at the time, but he sang well enough that I remembered when we met."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:23 am 

Heh, you really are a little on the endearing side, once past the formalities of court, aren't you? I wonder how strong the resolve of that affection is. Would you wait by his grave marker all those years, yearning for the butterfly?

She smiled as she mused to herself plucking at her tonkatsu at an easy pace. It was a tiny bit cold, but she didn't mind. The breaded cutlet was just with sauce lukewarm. And she was used to gamier meats from her days in the Kitsune Mori.

"Love at first sight, even when just children? How much older than you is he, or are you about the same age? I apologize for being a little nosey. I just don't often find someone willing to speak of such things."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:51 am 

That brought an embarrassed flush and a look of surprise to Poemu's face. "Ah! N-no no, it wasn't love at first sight! Ano... h-he was just an impressive singer is all, and at such a young age. He was... let me think... he'd have been thirteen at the time, just a little before his gempukku. I might have passed him a few other times, but I didn't meet him formally until my aunt's nakodo introduced us."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:09 am 

She smiled and rested her chin on her hand. Normally she couldn't ever speak this way with a clan samurai, but Poemu was so understanding. It was kind of fun to be able to get away with this, considering that she really couldn't have done it as a clan samurai, but ronin were expected to sometimes just be blunt and not care about niceties or being prim and proper. It was... a little liberating.

"Agasha-sama, you have a nice blush when you speak about him," she said, her tone light. "It's still a nice story for how the two of you first saw each other, if you ask me. A pity that he isn't here, but you do sound happy, and that alone is a rarity. You should be sure to thank Hotei. Contentment like that is truly rare."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:42 pm 

"Well, I DO pray for him every day, but in truth, I'm quite thankful that he's still in Dragon lands at the moment. It must be quite safer there than it is here after all, and I would rather he was safe than anything else." Poemu gave a sad smile.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next