It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:47 pm

Post subject: Re: [D8 - LM] Compassion (Wide Open)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:09 pm 

"To be a little clearer, Naga-sama... I believe that they technically are our ancestors, though honored is a matter for hte interpretation of the family line. They've been judged by Emma-O and sent to a realm of infinite slaughter as punishment for their wrath in life. They are not corrupt, but they are wrath incarnate." A shake of her head. "Some would still honor them as their ancestors. Others would strike their name from the records in shame I imagine."

She did not say which she was.

Description, Character Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:21 pm 

"Ano, so they were samurai and others that were always full of wrath?" Maiya asked, trying to summarise what Mari had said and likely missing some of the nuance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:48 pm 

The Hilsilage extends the fan and covers his face while speaking the next part.

"Hmm. It would appear that some are unwilling to accept that this might be the fate of their ancestor's spirit? And are willing to practice...how do you say...the lie that is to the self? Would it hurt if such a deception were allowed to continue?"

Carries: A red and black fan and hat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:16 pm 

"Most would never say lie. We choose usually to honor those worthy of being honored... and you are more or less correct, Kaiu-sama. If you want details on them, Asako Tamaki is something of an expert in the field." She had to be careful on the first part. It was absolutely a self deception as he said. Many however had no interest in hearing that.

"I doubt that most would change their views, but hopefully they learn from past generations' errors."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:48 pm 

The Hilsilage lowers his fan.

"We of the vedic are new to the topic of human souls. It is very interesting."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:27 pm 

"Study what happens when a human soul is tainted. You will soon go off the topic." Maiya interjected with a scowl. She didn't like the thought of the naga being here and only contributing by merrily analysing anxious people waiting for death.

With a huff she forced herself to speak slower and with less hostility. However, it didn't help her choice of words. "Do you not have anything better you could be doing as the city readies for battle? If you are here just to watch then you ought to leave the city now while it is not surrounded by these bloodthirsty spirits."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:59 pm 

"I am helping these people sheltering here, Kaiu-sama. If there is somewhere I can drive a spear to assist you but name it and I will come to your aid, but for now medicine and food are the most pressing matters."

The Hilsilage continues to smile, but it has gone a bit stiff.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:17 pm 

This gave her pause. She sat up straighter, but another question came to mind.

"... Why? Didn't the Empire only just wage war on your... your kind? Samurai uphold compassion, but you would be hard pressed to find a samurai of one Clan tending to the wounded of another after both sides had fought."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:11 am 

"Oh, no Kaiu-sama. While there was some misunderstanding when we initially awoke, your people liberated us from a regime whose lies had nearly doomed us. We are staunch allies now against the Foul in whatever form it comes in. I have endeavored long to show the potential savings in lives and jade in the constant struggle your people valiantly fight on your wall, and though progress has been slow I treasure it."

The Hilsilage's eyes are once again shining with his countenance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:20 am 

Wait. What? "HUH?" Maiya blurts out in disbelief. "My sensei or gunso has never mentioned anything like this. What are you talking about?"

She sits up straight, almost on guard, like she can't trust what she is hearing. As far as she knew the naga that survived had formed a loose alliance with the Empire after betraying their commanders, and they mostly stayed distant from the Clans. She'd heard of some moving to Shiro Kuni, but she had no idea why. All she really knew for sure was that sometimes there were naga and that they were to be considered 'likely a friendly'.

A little like nezumi.

Especially a friendly if actually interacting with humans inside a human settlement.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:38 am 

"Oh. My apologies. I have not sufficiently spread the word then. This is a failing that often befalls my people. We Naga share a bond that lets us spread information. It is hard to remember that your people must be informed individually. Perhaps I can commission a work of art, or a play..."

The Hilsilage thinks before realizing that he has not actually answered any questions.

"The leadership that lead us to sleep was deceiving us, somehow keeping information back. Your invasion gave us the tools we needed to enact new, better leadership. We Naga abhor the great enemy to the south, and have been deeply blessed to resist the horrid touch of the Realm of Evil. I do not want to boast, but I have dedicated some effort to bringing our strengths to add to your considerable bulwark. I met one of your Clan in Ryoko Owari, and after that point spent some time convincing the Cobra who would not throw stones at me to seek out your Kuni family."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:41 am 

Mari had considered saying something a moment before, that the touch of Toshigoku was not 'the taint' and should never be construed as such, but the conversation had moved quickly and she had been handing out couple rice balls. She paused and looked at the two of them before making a warning gesture to the heimin, motioning them back for a moment. They yielded nervously and stepped back while she shifted in her seat.

Not a stance of attack, just wariness to make sure that this was... remedied without violence. "Kaiu-sama. What is wrong?" From what she could tell, if the Naga was to be believed, what he'd said was good, though it was hard to say anything for certain in these times. She assumed he would not be allowed so close to some of the figures among the refugees, however, if he were tainted.

She watched the Vedic's explanation, her mind filling with a thousand upon thousand questions, some concerns, a few fears, and more hopes, but nothing further for the moment. For now, she waited, hoping this was settled amicably. she didn't want to get involved in trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:55 am 

To her credit the Crab bushi listened. Halfway into the Hilsilage's explanation she even sat more calmly and listened without being quite so on guard. While the naga sounded sincere it wasn't like Maiya had a lot to go on to verify his story. She shifted a little left and right in agitation as his account came to an end, her arms crossed. She didn't know what to think.

"Perhaps a play or... art... something. Definitely something should be done to actually communicate your existence and intentions to samurai across the Empire. Most only know the naga that attacked without warning. From the coast. From the forests. From the shadowlands. It's difficult for us to see you as separate, while it's difficult for you to see us as individuals it seems. A similar problem, ne?"

She sighed, still feeling defensive. However, his words held hope and hope was powerful.

"You said something about the Kuni and resisting the touch of the Realm of Evil. You ought to know they do tests. They'd test your claims before believing them, likely in ways you wouldn't find pleasant. The Kuni Family are invaluable, but not even other Crab find them friendly. You'd be better off seeking out my own family, the Kaiu, or maybe the Hiruma, should you want to be more direct. Perhaps even the Hida Family, who lead our Clan." Maiya stated, trying to be useful without possibly giving a potential enemy too much information. She looked down and huffed, having been placed in a position she was incredibly uncomfortable. "I can't be more helpful than that. If you want to help the Crab and fight the South then send more messengers, especially any human allies you have. My Clan are very mistrusting of armed humanoids that aren't human. In our experience they tend to be hostile."

Easing her arms back onto the table she looks over to the naga carefully. "I apologise for my rudeness before. I need some time to think." She added a quick seated bow, which was about all she could manage as her head was reeling. If what he'd said was true then they weren't just allies of convenience for the Empire, seeking to survive by betraying their own in the face of Rokugan's armies, but a much truer ally than her Clan could hope for. If.

She glanced to Mari and dipped her head a little lower, feeling quite bad for her outburst. "Sorry to ruin your meal. Please excuse my rudeness. It seems it was a misunderstanding... ano, Mari-san, ne? Please let me know how I can make it right." It had taken her a moment to remember the woman's name. Even the lowliest of Crab bushi were different to ronin, especially those that hadn't proved themselves. Maiya was finding that a little challenging to overcome too; albeit nothing like her wariness of the naga.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:06 am 

Mari visibly relaxed, and as she did, she smiled at the two of them and then made a reassuring motion and smile over at the peasants as well. She nodded once apologies and explanations were done. "I have never been so far south as the lands of the Crab. My homeland was elsewhere," she admitted. "But everything I have heard speaks to Kaiu-sama's truth. The Crab are a hard people, because they must be. The Kuni are hard among the hard in a different way than a humble priest of Earth. They are Earth's fury, the blade against the darkness of hell."

A shake of her head and she sighed. "Think nothing of it, Kaiu-sama. I... confess it isn't easy for me either, but I am glad to have the both of you. Perhaps you would be willing to help me share some of Inari's bounty? I am not needed as a healer today, but they won't say no to rice."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:19 am 

"If that would make up for my blunder then hai, by all means Mari-san." Maiya replied, accepting her 'sentence' without complaint.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:26 am 

"Perhaps approaching the Kuni first was my mistake. I had presumed there would be testing and then rejoicing. Sadly recent events have kept me occupied."

The Hilsilage casts off through the Akasha, searching.

"I do not sense anything amiss. The same cares of new settlement, worries of new harmonies not yet settled. I am happy to report that the Cobra are well."

The Hilsilage looks thoughtful for a moment.

"I spoke with a person on a wall in the town we were forced to flee. I told him that I I would rather know if he found our ways strange than him conceal it. I do not think that telling me honestly how you have taken our less than stellar attempts to introduce ourselves could in any way be offensive. How else could we improve as allies?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:31 am 

"For my part," Mari said as she offered some of the rice for the Kaiu to give before settling herself in to do the same, her spell scroll out and her hand up for a moment. It took her a little bit of time to whisper her prayers twice more, but the rice that was left behind was considerable in quantity. Enough to feed plenty of peasants.

it wouldn't really address all of their problems, being little more than a drop in the bucket, but it was important that she do something feel useful in some fashion. that done, she turned properly to the Vedic. "I would wish to know what it is that you are in your people, what you do. Are you a priest, as are the shugenja? I have heard your kind do have magic."

Terrifying magic. But all she knew was superstitions.

( Casting 3, Casting 4, more or less fluff castings at this point, but she has the slots available, so she puts them to work.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:05 am 

"They do, those are the Cobra. A vedic is...complicated. Your kind separate the components into two very different professions. A vedic brings harmony, improving their spiritual awareness to find the correct fit for all things. Vedics of the Bright Eye as myself are trained in the healing arts, but we also perform civic functions similar to magistrates and courtiers in your Empire."

The Hilsilage looks to see if any of this makes any sense. He lends his hands to help with the distribution of food as he recalls more details to impart.

"The Vedics of the Pale Eye bring justice to those who do evil. We each seek to improve our society, and as we grow in harmony we join with the Akasha to greater and greater degrees, bringing forth skills and wonders from the naga who have gone before."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:25 am 

"... I don't know, ano, Hil... Hisilage? Hilsilage-san." That would take some practice to become spoken naturally. "I am just an unimportant bushi, a warrior, in my Clan. Asking me about improving alliances is... I don't have anything useful to add."

Receiving some of the impressive amount of rice, even giving Mari a double take, she would begin offering it to peasants and giving each a fair portion. Her armour made her a little imposing to approach for many peasants however. At least she wasn't wearing her menpo.

"And I need time to think, sorry." She was also now busy. The naga's talking didn't interest her at this time. It probably would after she had time to process things. To discuss them with her cousin and other Crab. Until then she had, like a Crab, put up a wall.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:52 pm 

"Of course, Kaiu-sama. Take all the time you wish and need. Inari's generous when he wants to be, so I would like to take advantage of this," she said, grinning a bit to herself before turning to the Hilsilage.

"I have to admit... so little of what you say makes sense to me. It does not even sound like the sort of thing that the spirits talk of. What... is this Akasha?" Was it akin to enlightenment?