It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:53 pm

Post subject: Apology Tour, I Still Suck At This [D9, LE]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:55 am 

Degarashi was practicing the kata he'd learned, somewhat, a couple of days prior, using it as a means to settle the thoughts in his head. Events were piling up and moving quickly, and he desperately hated to fall behind cataloging what knowledge he'd acquired. Training seemed to help with the dilemma, allowing his body to adopt one set of rules as his mind adopted others. He'd need to remember this for the future.

He was, however, hoping against hope that he wasn't butchering the set of motions he'd been taught by Chihaya.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

Post subject: Re: Apology Tour, I Still Suck At This [D9, LE]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:00 am 

After a time, a voice came from behind him, as he transitioned between guards.

"I would not abbreviate that motion, Bayushi-san. That is, unless you wish to lose that ear."

Profile :: Theme

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:03 am 

Degarashi jumped, slightly, his body tensing and relaxing at the sudden intrusion and familiar voice. But, rather than turn around, he reset himself and attempted to make the motion again.

"More like this, Suzume-shoi? I didn't expect it to be perfect after such a short time but it seems to help me think." And think he did, especially to certain antics he'd gotten up to that made it hard to look the Sparrow in the eye right away.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:26 am 

"Better, but unlock your shoulder - you're too stiff still - you need to full deflect the attack."

She smiled faintly, padding across the tatami with quiet steps.

"I find it helps clear the mind, personally. You can spend a lifetime learning even so simple a kata."

With a shallow bow, she greeted him. "Good evening, Bayushi-san. I pray the day has treated you... well."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:50 am 

Degarashi nodded, making the necessary adjustments and completing the form once more before turning to greet the Sparrow.

His bow was extended and deep, only partially to hide the red coloring on his cheeks. "The uh... morning treated me especially well today, Suzume-shoi..." He cleared his throat. "Hangover notwithstanding."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:56 am 

She smiled faintly. "I'm glad you are well. I began to worry that we would run out of sake to serve you, but the stocks of the city held, if only barely."

Her tone was light, gently teasing.

"I understand you had a pressing blow - I wish that I could claim it will be the last, but I suspect coming days would make a liar of me."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:11 am 

Something visibly hitched in Degarashi, but it was there and gone faster than the blink of an eye, and he nodded gravely. "Yes, the loss of my younger brother, and Aya of her partner. It was an especially vicious blow to us." Us could mean the Scorpion as readily as the pair of samurai acting the fools the evening prior.

"I do apologize for some of the rowdier behavior. I gathered that you were having some...pressing matters of your own, judging by your words."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:04 pm 

"I can think of nothing as substantial as what you endured."

She kept her expression bland, trying to remember what she may or may not have said.

Had she been more drunk than she realized?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:14 pm 

An angry looking Seppun arrives into the dojo late in the evening. She provides a bow to the kamiza before entering, and follows up with the protocol. Her voice, though, is unheard, as she mutters the greetings rather inwardly.

She crosses the path of anyone inside, takes a bokken and starts beating the Jigoku out of the wooden target.

No kiai. Only loud, claking wooden sounds.

Gear: daisho, another classy fan, another extravagant furisode (or plain kimono and hakama), silk umbrella, jade obi dome (pendant), golden kushi kanzashi (head comb).
Duty/Outside: Armor Up!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:17 pm 

Not far behind was a woman who came following the sound of loud steps on a parallel path...

She walked into the dojo and glanced around for a moment. She quickly realized where the echos where originating from.

Approaching from behind she said in a kind voice, "I thought I'd find you here."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:29 pm 

Horonigai lowers the broken bokken, and turns her head to Ren. Her eyes nearly trembling with rage. She adjusts a loose lock of hair back on behind her ears and nods.

Her hands show anxiety as the grip tightens.

Gear: daisho, another classy fan, another extravagant furisode (or plain kimono and hakama), silk umbrella, jade obi dome (pendant), golden kushi kanzashi (head comb).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:30 pm 

Suzume Chihaya wrote:
"I can think of nothing as substantial as what you endured."

She kept her expression bland, trying to remember what she may or may not have said.

Had she been more drunk than she realized?

Degarashi kept his face carefully neutral. "Perhaps more substantial, but availed of a great deal more closure. I..."

Degarashi heard the loud clacking of the princess and lowered his voice, for the sake of Chihaya's privacy.

"I cannot merely walk away and seek answers from my brother. There is some strange solace in that. What you endure, what you do not know but wish you did... your answers aren't as easy as mine, and there may be little of what I could say to ease your burdens, though the foolish mask I wear would still make the effort."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:39 pm 

Ren smiles softly and with understanding. She closes her eyes for a few seconds and then opens them with purpose.

She takes a defensive martial pose. Without a word she flips her fingers inwardly as if to say, 'Come on then.'

---

Init: 41
ATN: 35+13=48
Stance: Full Defense

OOC: I'm gonna fluff activate my ring boosts. If I'm first in init I'll delay behind your action.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:48 pm 

Chihaya, seeing the distressed Seppun and accompanying Ren, gave both a bow of greeting but otherwise gave them their space.

As Degarashi went on, she felt a faint lancing pain in her heart - was she so open in her concerns?

"I appreciate your concern, Bayushi-san, but as you say - my concerns, those that are not marching directly upon this city at least, are far from here. I cannot do anything to resolve them save be patient."

A soft sigh. "That is another sparrow trait we attempt to instill. Patience. No amount of wishing can make a crop grow faster, nor will haste force your opponent to grant you an opening any sooner."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:55 pm 

Horonigai throws the broken wooden blade on the ground. Takes a mochi out of her kimono and bites it. While chewing on the sweet, she nearly snarls and darts forward with a tackle.

As Ren moves defensively to the side, Horonigai slides her knees on the ground, and takes some time to get back into another stance.

--
Initiative vs. Ren - Spar: 5d10o10k3 24
Jujutsu/Agility TN 48: 7d10o10k4 42
ATN: 20-10 = 10
Stance: Full Attack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:06 pm 

Suzume Chihaya wrote:
Chihaya, seeing the distressed Seppun and accompanying Ren, gave both a bow of greeting but otherwise gave them their space.

As Degarashi went on, she felt a faint lancing pain in her heart - was she so open in her concerns?

"I appreciate your concern, Bayushi-san, but as you say - my concerns, those that are not marching directly upon this city at least, are far from here. I cannot do anything to resolve them save be patient."

A soft sigh. "That is another sparrow trait we attempt to instill. Patience. No amount of wishing can make a crop grow faster, nor will haste force your opponent to grant you an opening any sooner."

"All too true, Suzume-shoi, all too true. As a matter of course, in regards to forcing an opening in one's defenses, we Scorpion often fake openings in our own defenses to entice our targets into extending themselves too far."

Degarashi took up the practice sword again, facing away from Chihaya as he resumed the kata. "I'd like to apologize for using such tactics against you last night. I was marginally drunk, but that stamds as no excuse for behaving so disrespectfully to someone I might like to consider a friend."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:31 pm 

The dojo was far too lively for the hour.

Kitamaru considered coming back later, but had already been lazy with practice. Nikesake lacked the same routine of the capital.

The Shosuro bowed, honoring the dojo and those in it, left their sandals and blades at the entrance and moved past late night drilling Lion to collect a bokken.

The Scorpion...the one from before, the schemer, was there. As well as the cruel Sparrow, the delightful Seppun maiden and...who? A Lion perhaps...?

Kitamaru took to training for then, there was diligence to observe.

When Allowed: Armor, Yumi/Arrows

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:32 pm 

That brought a faint chuckle, and she picked up a bokken from the rack of her own.

Taking up stance beside, him, she began to mirror his movements.

"Is this another tactic, friendship to slip under my guard?"

The swish of her bokken accentuated the words, coinciding with an upward cut that would strike the chin of the unwary foe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:47 pm 

Ren steps gently aside. She turns to face the Seppun now on the other side of her.

Looking down she says, "Surely you aren't done?"

She flicks her fingers again.

---

ATN: 42
Stance: Defense

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:57 pm 

Suzume Chihaya wrote:
That brought a faint chuckle, and she picked up a bokken from the rack of her own.

Taking up stance beside, him, she began to mirror his movements.

"Is this another tactic, friendship to slip under my guard?"

The swish of her bokken accentuated the words, coinciding with an upward cut that would strike the chin of the unwary foe.

"It is." No preamble, no flashy excuse, just the blunt honesty. "But what friend doesn't slip past your guard? You wouldn't approach someone with a wound and expect them to treat it without first removing your armor, would you?"

Degarashi fell into step beside Chihaya, imitating her movements as closely as possible. "And I'm a far cry from some other clumsy Scorpion trying to penetrate you in a more... intimate sense." He still had to shake his head over that.