It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Post subject: Re: Lion-Phoenix-Walls (Day 7, Early Evening)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:13 am 

"Can't ever have too much luck." He smiled to Maiya, before returning his attention to the defenses. "I don't know how quickly orders will be given here, or if the Lion will share their defensive plans with us. It may need more of us on the ground to adapt than stick to a plan."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:19 am 

"There aren't many Crab here. We won't do well without guidance. If we don't coordinate with the Lion we'll merely be a quickly overrun nuisance against any large force." Maiya was no tactical expert, but she knew not to fight a large number of enemies as isolated individuals. Some Crab did that. They did not reach old age.

She followed the Yasuki in looking at the defences. "My cousin is also checking the walls. What is your assessment Daisuke-sama?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:36 am 

Heavy steps approach the group of Crab. They go straight past everyone, until coming to stop right next to Maiya.

A heavy suit of armour with too many Kaiu mons to make the newcomer anything else but a Kaiu-clad Kaiu-born. Little else can be seen, other than gray eyes beneath a heavy helmet and above the unadorned faceplate, both bearing many traces of repaired scratches and dents.

"I am done." The voice of a young female comes from behind the menpo. Soft and quiet, even with the air of a soldier reporting back from their mission.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:46 am 

"Ano, hai." Maiya indicates the two Yasuki for her cousin. "Please greet our kin Ama-chan."

She turned her head to face them. Her expression was a little apologetic. "Mina-sama, this is my younger cousin, Kaiu Amaya-san. She also likes fighting. We were both stationed together and we have fought side by side. She is better with engineering and calligraphy than me. She is also a very good listener." Maiya says by way of introduction.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:51 am 

"Ah, greetings, Amaya-san. Nice of you to join us on such a pleasant day."

Yukarin didn't seem too sarcastic about that, at least in appearances.

"I'm Yasuki Yukarin; I think your cousin can fill you in if you want to know my hobbies some time, but I'm normally a trader of sorts. Not that there's much of that to be had here, but... here I am regardless!"

Honor: Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:03 am 

The gray eyes inside the armour blink and the head turns towards the two Yasuki.

"Okay."

Giving a quickly glance at her cousin, Amaya raises one gauntlet covered hand and takes hold of her menpo. A tug. A much firmer tug. A pause. Then, with a rough yank, it finally comes loses and the Kaiu lets it fall to hang around her neck.

She immediately bows to them with a softly spoken. "Greetings."

Behind the dented plate is the face of a young woman, observing the other Crab with calm curiosity.

When Yukarin mentions the weather, Amaya looks up and lets the rain wash over her face for a moment. "It is raining." She follows it with a little shrug and turns her attention back towards the self proclaimed trader.

"What do you trade?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:29 am 

"Whatever the Crab need, of course. I specialize in sake, since my husband's family owns the third largest brewery in Crab lands... but my winter in Lion lands certainly hasn't just been all sake; I got some trade partners for metal, paper, and fish... amongst other things."

carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:12 am 

There was one very important question to ask. Maiya made sure not to miss her opportunity.

"... Do you have sake with you Yukarin-sama?"

The angry raging returned spirits and everything else could push off. There was sake at stake!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:17 am 

Amaya's only response to her cousin's instant question is a faint smile. A flicker of exasperated fondness over close family being silly again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:22 am 

Kaiu Maiya wrote:
There was one very important question to ask. Maiya made sure not to miss her opportunity.

"... Do you have sake with you Yukarin-sama?"

The angry raging returned spirits and everything else could push off. There was sake at stake!

"I actually have forty-seven bottles left, believe it or not. And let me tell you, carrying them from Toshi no Omoidoso to Nikesake here was a chore. Not that I had to do it the entire way; That's what hiring people is for, after all."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:30 am 

"That is a lot of bottles." The smaller Crab is surprised. "Did you not carry them on a cart?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:52 am 

"Iie, in a framed pack. They're quite good at distributing weight if you know how to pack them. Plus, they're not very large bottles; Only about as tall as a chopstick. It's pretty strong stuff, after all."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:54 am 

"That is definitely a lot of bottles." Maiya states, somewhat repeating Amaya, her tone equal parts awe and delight. Even her eyes had lit up for a moment.

"You are so lucky to be married to the husband you are. Lord Hotei must look upon you favourably."

Was she jealous? Yes. Was she keen on sake? Yes. Was she going to do her best to get in Yukarin's good books to perhaps get some of her sake?

Maaaaaybe.

"And you were here over winter to make trade deals with the Lion? That's very prestigious. You must be a rising star in the Clan Yukarin-sama."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:18 am 

That actually gor a small chuckle, "If that were true, it's news to me. I was sent to a small Lion court because I'm new to the Clan, and an unknown asset. I may not have even been sent there if said husband hadn't vouched for my haggling skills. But who knows? Maybe if we all make it out of this, they'll upgrade my court assignments."

She seemed more amused than anything, so it was pretty clear Yukarin wasn't complaining. To her, being assigned to an unimportant Lion court with very little politics going on was no more trouble than being out in the cold rain like this; It was a temporary step to take with a smile and a step towards better things.

Last edited by Yasuki Yukarin on Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:04 pm 

"I hope they do Yukarin-sama. Please do let Amaya-san and I know if you need any help or protection. I don't think the Lion will have any bushi to spare."

Her gaze flickered to Daisuke. "Ano, you too Daisuke-sama." She adds with a nod.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:43 pm 

"Hm... well... as long as the walls hold, we should be fine I imagine, neh? If this was back in Toshi no Omoidoso and winter court there, I might ask for a yojimbo, since I don't carry my katana with me. But even then... if there's any one skill learning with the Ide taught me. I think it would be calming people down, smoothing things over. So even when I made a Ikebana arrangement that supposedly blatantly implied I love women, which I don't see how something as simple as two lilies touching petals does that, I was able to explain things away in a proper fashion. My pride is not so much that I won't admit mistakes or misunderstandings."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:03 pm 

Amaya blinks at the never ending deluge of words coming out of the Yasuki's mouth. The sudden jumps in topic are particularly impressive.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:19 am 

Maiya struggled to follow all of it too. On the other hand she did pick out a few key bits.

"You trained with the Ide, Yukarin-sama? That's a Unicorn family, ne? My sensei briefed us on the basics of the Unicorn Clan. You must know them well. That's very impressive." The unworldly bushi hadn't yet picked up on the fact the courtier had not only married a Yasuki, but married into the Crab.

She didn't address the yojimbo bit or the ikebana, as she didn't have much to say about either. Some of the chatter was a bit strange, but then again Yukarin was explaining a misunderstanding. They tended to be strange.

"Explaining misunderstanding and admitting mistakes is important. Samurai die on the wall when there are mistakes, but even more die when nobody admits them and they continue." Maiya states grimly. Her tone lightens as she continues. "I hope you will guide us in different things. We haven't left Crab lands before and we don't wish to upset our hosts. In return, please call on Amaya-san and I if you need anything or if you feel unsafe. May I ask where you are both staying?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:28 am 

She glanced at Daisuke, "I put my stuff in a provided room at the Crab embassy here. Certainly there aren't so many of us that they won't have room, even if the others arrive later from Toshi no Omoidoso. And if it comes down to it, I can share a room."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:45 pm 

"Likewise with the embassy. If there isn't room, I could offer half of mine, as well." The Carp nodded to the Warrior, offering a small smile. "It's a pretty humble room, but that is for the best, especially while being on the move."

Daisuke looked up at the walls, again, tapping his finger to his chin.

"I believe, though, that you wouldn't be upsetting our hosts if you helped oversee some of their defenders, Kaiu-san." He beamed, looking to the armored Maiya.