It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:05 pm

Post subject: Re: [D7 - LA] While the Courtiers Court... (Open)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:49 pm 

She wasn't an actual lip reader, but the fact that he was trying this hard made it not impossible. It took her a little squinting and she had to think about it for a second before two and two were added together. Ah, yes. The natural question.

"I am not currently employed, -sama, no. There have been offers, but I would not wish to offend any party when competing offers have been made. I am taking the next day or so to observe the situation." It also seemed wise to get a feel for the internal politics among these refugees and the governess...

Description, Character Image

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:47 am 

He leaned back to think about that, hands on top of his head keeping his hair out of his eyes while he considered matters.

Mari was probably very aware that the Phoenix kinda didn't like ronin shugenja running around loose. Well the Isawa didn't to be more exact. Not that she knew he wasn't an Isawa anyway. Most people would assume a Phoenix priest to be of that family. Still he didn't have the authority to offer any work, never mind anything stronger.

All the while as he thought, his eyes got a further and further away cast. Lost in thought.

Status 1.0 * Glory 2.0 * Honour: As Expected
Carries: Wakizashi, fan, scroll satchel, wax tablet & stylus, paper, often kites.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:59 am 

Ronin shugenja were two things where most of the Great Clans were concerned. On the one hand, they were rarer than a hen's teeth, especially healers like her. As such, they were extraordinarily valuable resources because they could be called upon to perform magical feats that might not be otherwise possible, because no proper samurai would stoop to such work, or the real ones were already actively busy dealing with clan business.

On the other? They had far more power than the average ronin sellsword. They could be unpredictable, and were walking magnets of power that just wandered around, looking for coin. Nobody liked unpredicted outsiders with that kind of power. The Isawa simply added family pride to the mix. All things she was aware of.

For her part, this was simply the reality of her existence. She relaxed into the bath and sighed luxuriously, watching him out of the corner of her eye, knowing that if he was this quiet she would have to pay attention, should he need her for any reason. If he wanted to be lost in thought for a moment? She was not going to interfere.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:47 am 

Working through the issue in his head, Ayanojo eventually came to the decision that it really wasn't his place to do anything right now. There were other Phoenix here now. More important and most definitely more famous Phoenix.

Yes, The Kashiwagi could deal with this. If he even noticed.

Carries: Wakizashi, fan, scroll satchel, wax tablet & stylus, paper, often kites.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:37 am 

God, if she caught even a sight of the Black Phoenix, she might freak out a little bit. That man was famous enough that even a dumb hick with no training would recognize him a mile away. He was this shining light of fame and glory, and in the presence of that sort of fame, the lesser might wither away. He was exactly the sort of powerful person she really didn't need the personal attention of. Him, the governor, anything like that... ugh.

She relaxed back and sighed, looking up to the ceiling and smiling to herself. "this is truly lovely. I'm glad I came right now. I hear there are others busy in the courts right now. Perfect to catch a moment of peace."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:56 pm 

He really had been lost in thought and he blinked in surprise as she spoke. Letting his mind wander off into daydreams of what may never happen was not going to help his safety when the city came under siege.

But that was also for the future so he nodded happily and tried to visibly relax into the water.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:38 pm 

They had a couple days. They were entitled to relax in her opinion. The world would not collapse while they took a bath, and they would be far more prepared for the trials to come if they were well rested. Tired and exhausted samurai did not make good warriors. Something did, however, occur to her.

"I don't think we have been fully introduced yet, -sama. You know my name, after all. Would you be willing to grace me with your name, should we meet again?" It wasn't quite calling attention, so she felt safe putting it that way. It was also a way to give her a chance to run into him again potentially.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:24 pm 

He nodded without a second thought. A slight blush taking to his cheeks.

I am being sooooo rude here. Why did I leave my tablet behind?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:26 pm 

"Wonderful. It might be a chance to meet your kin as well." Not always a pleasant practice considering the very things on both their minds about phoenix and magical freeloaders like her, but she'd had pleasant experiences so far. "I did meet one of them earlier today. An interesting Asako woman. Very compassionate."

She had no idea how the woman walked, but that was another matter entirely.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:33 pm 

He blinked. The only other Asako he was currently aware of was The Kashiwagi . . maybe he knew them!

Before any frustration could set in, he tried mouthing the words 'Her name' questioningly.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:49 pm 

It took her a second. He was doing what needed to be done so that even the untrained could read, but it still wasn't easy. Still, a moment and she nodded her head. "Asako Tamaki, -sama. She and her yojimbo came as I was setting my tent up, and we shared the morning's rice in the rain. A pleasant woman." Very compassionate. They'd given the rest around to some of the others. "I think you two would get on. She seemed to have affinity for the Air as well, if I remember right."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:05 pm 

Tamaki . . . no, that wasn't a name he was familiar with was it? His forehead creased a little as he tried to remember. Eventually he shook his head. There were more Asako than one young tensai could possibly know, so he shouldn't be surprised.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:10 pm 

He wouldn't have any trouble remembering her once they'd met. A yojimbo without a name, and a woman with only one leg? Oh yes, Tamaki was a memorable one. Mari smiled sympathetically and laughed a little.

"The great clans are so large, I can't imagine you ever truly meet everyone even in one family. I suspect the minor clans are almost envied in that sense. Their own little families. Everyone knowing everyone else."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:37 am 

He blinked again and half smiled. Minor Clans were not something he had taken much notice of. They'd been nothing but a footnote in his training and the update briefs since had basically been to say the Dragonfly were gone, the Piranha were new but really far away and the Fox were now Unicorn.

He probably knew more about ronin all told.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:37 am 

Minor Clans were usually beneath memory and importance. The tonbo might have been the only one he'd ever have a reason to consider, ever. Those were at least near at hand when they were around. Ronin? You saw those everywhere you went.

"Did you, forgive me, but did you arrive with the refugees?"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:59 pm 

That he could answer in part immediately. A shake of the head was more than enough to say he wasn't a refugee. That's he'd been here all Winter was a little more difficult.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:58 pm 

It was, but really just knowing that he hadn't come from Toshi no Omoidasu was enough for her purposes. She nodded back. "I came from the west myself, so I will admit this all surprised me a little when I arrived in town today." A little? They'd said 'go to Nikesake. There's work in Nikesake.' Nobody'd said anything about 'half the empire is converging on Nikesake, good luck!'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:49 pm 

He nodded.

Pretty much everything had dropped on him in one moment that morning, having managed to somehow not be informed of anything happening in the last few days. It had been quite a meeting with the newly arrived Phoenix.

Which left him a little wide eyed even now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:20 pm 

They'd basically both walked into a madhouse where everything was on fire around them, and people were trying to convince them everything was fine. Nothing to worry about. It really wouldn't take much to make this so much worse. A powder keg waiting to go off.

Looking over her hand quietly, she sighed. "You know, the downside of a good soak is that eventually you start to prune a little. I should probably not linger too much longer, sama."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:57 pm 

He instinctively looked down at his hands when she mentioned that nodding distractedly as he determined if pruning had begun or not.