It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:00 pm

Post subject: [D7, LM] Pictures of matchstick men
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:22 am 

This might just be the best street in the whole damn city. Tetsuko wandered from shop to shop enjoying the fine wares and occasionally purchasing some paper that took her fancy. She even splashed out on a waterproof scroll case for holding her genuine original Kashiwagi (signed).

As she conversed with the shopkeepers and embraced the ambience she found herself idly wishing that a) the city was still a Phoenix city, and b) that the Crane and Phoenix were friends again. Such was the way of things though. The Empire was mysterious at the best of times. She was supposed to be marrying a Crab for goodness sake. Not for the first time she wished there had been more news about Katree and her Champion. It was easy to believe they were both dead by now.

"Oh she's very pretty. For a Daidoji." - Random Doji courtier.

Last edited by Daidoji Tetsuko on Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: [D7, LM] Pictures of matchstick men
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:17 am 

He'd found he loved this street over the time he'd spent in Nikesake this winter. His sister had been so right in directing him here. So even through the cold and rain he was here again looking at paper with the critical eye of someone gauging strength, colour and flight worthiness.

His colourful, Phoenix decorated umbrella was known to the shopkeepers here, and they tried to showcase their best when he walked near.

Status 1.0 * Glory 2.0 * Honour: As Expected
Carries: Wakizashi, fan, scroll satchel, wax tablet & stylus, paper, often kites.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:33 pm 

"That is a beautiful umbrella Phoenix-sama." Tetsuko had spotted it from a great distance having an eye for such things. Also it was somewhat obvious that the shopkeepers were trying to attract the owner's attention.

She had been looking for fiery colours when the man had approached. It seemed a fortuitous omen. There was particular pattern that she had in mind and with no sign of the enemy just yet it was perhaps the best chance she would get.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:53 am 

He turned with a wide eyed blink, and then carefully bowed to the Crane. There was then a brief juggling of implements as he got the umbrella steadied while trying to write on his wax tablet. The indentations ending up just a little bit sloppy because of this.

Quote:
Good morning, Daidoji-san. I am Asako Ayanojo, a Tensai of Air.

Carries: Wakizashi, fan, scroll satchel, wax tablet & stylus, paper, often kites.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:03 am 

She blinked, but nothing else betrayed her surprise at the man's actions. Offering a bow she gave him a bright smile.

"And a good morning to you Asako-san. I am Daidoji Tetsuko, recently arrived from Toshi no Omoidoso. It seems I am destined to share artistic pursuits with members of your family this winter."

He was favored with another polite smile as she inspected the tablet. Presumably he had been injured, or perhaps this was a lifelong affliction.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:51 am 

There was another juggling of umbrella, tablet and stylus as it proved even more difficult to erase the previous writings than it had been to place them there in the first place.

Eventually though he turned it so she could see it again with a sheepish smile.

Quote:
Which art would that be?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:06 pm 

"Oh, well I am only a beginner but origami for my part. Painting for your cousin's." She gestured to the waterproof case. "Fine paper and a painting. Appropriate for a Crane to be carrying around in my humble opinion." Along with the swords of course.

"And yours Asako-San?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:41 pm 

The reply took a little while longer to concoct than earlier statements. His face screwed up in concentration as he got the important facts right. When he turned the tablet to face Tetsuko again it was evident why.

On it was a lovely little sketch of a kite flying high in the sky.

He was grinning from ear to ear.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:04 pm 

She looked at the sketch, then the smile, and finally up at the heavens. Her gaze returned to the Phoenix with enthusiasm. "You make and fly kites Asako-san. How delightful! I have heard of kite fighting, as a sort of artistic and competitive event, but I have never witnessed it."

She looked at the materials on the shop they were standing next to. "I suppose you would require much stronger paper then?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:25 pm 

He nodded, narrowed his eyes a little and then wrote out a new message.

Quote:
To a degree. Not too thick though or the air kami won't want to hold it aloft.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:36 pm 

"Ah I see. So you are searching for the perfect thickness to both please the air kami and create a work of art." It sounded like part craftsmanship part art. "I suppose it is not so far away from origami? Perhaps you would be kind enough to show me how it is done one of these days Asako-san?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:15 pm 

He gave her a wide happy smile before jotting down another message. He stopped half way and looked up at the clouds before erasing some of what he'd just written and started again.

Quote:
I'd love to . . . when the weather is better.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:21 am 

She smiled and nodded. "Well, perhaps you would care to show me how one constructs a kite indoors? Say at the Crane Embassy tomorrow? I have many fine teas available if that would be of interest."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:41 am 

The next message was written very quickly.

Quote:
I would love to, Daidoji-san.

A small kite sketch followed her name.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:12 am 

"Wonderful, I shall send you a message in the morning to arrange a time Asako-san. Can you recommend any particular thickness of paper that I should begin to work with?" She looked around at the fine displays.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:03 pm 

Showing was better than telling in this case. He looked at the stock, immediately discounting the writing sheets and equally ignoring the thick umbrella or wall paper. Soon he settled on some, remarkably like origami paper thickness to be true.

He held them up like a prized pet for Tetsuko to examine.