It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:54 pm

Post subject: Lion-Phoenix-Walls (Day 7, Early Evening)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:02 am 

If she was remembering things correctly then Nikesake was originally a Phoenix holding. That meant the defences were probably built by them. Then again, the Lion may have rebuilt them. Or it was some mix of the two. Either way, with talk of there being an army on the way to lay siege, Maiya had developed a sudden healthy interest in the defences of the City.

Well, it's not the Great Wall, but I doubt we're going to see any demons. Should be fine. She thought to herself rather simplistically as she walked along the outer walls in her armour. Of course she'd made sure to receive the Lion's permission first. She didn't want to be rude.

Not being an engineering expert, even if she was a Kaiu, her assessment of the defences was very rudimentary. There were walls. They were high. They looked sturdy. There were multiple layers of defences. There we guards.

That all seemed promising.

Post subject: Re: Lion-Phoenix-Walls (Day 7, Early Evening)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:15 am 

Logistics were the specialty of the Yasuki. Keeping the flow of goods and supplies, as well as the coin needed to fund them. Part of that was in examining defenses, and seeing what could be shored up.

The young Carp had his wide straw hat on as he moved along the wall, taking mental notes of the situation. As if doing mental math on the costs associated with improving the wall and defenses. He whistled to himself a little tune as he walked, until he looked up, and recognized armor in the Crab style. Stepping closer, he smiled.

"Good evening, Kaiu-san. Has today found you well?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:46 am 

For her part, Yukarin trailed behind, looking over the walls with a critical eye. She'd learned a little about engineering and defensive buildings, but telling too much about this sort of thing was difficult when you were walking in the dim rain of the evening. She adjusted her umbrella a bit as she stopped behind Daisuke, taking particular interest in the design of an archer's crenulation.

Honor: Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:52 am 

The suit of armour turned. The grim black mempo and foreboding grey and silver helmet faced Daisuke head on. There was a slight pause before the armour bowed forward modestly in greeting. The motion was audible as steel plates shifted into the new posture. It was somewhat difficult to bow fully in this kind of armour so hopefully the shallowness of the bow could be forgiven.

"Good evening Crab-sama. Hai, I am well, thank you."

She straightened and reached up to remove her menpo. Maiya slid it into a slot on the front of her armour, revealing her face.

"I am Kaiu Maiya. My hobby is fighting. Nice to meet you."

She glanced behind Daisuke, noting the other woman, before looking back to the man that had addressed her. "I am in your care." She bowed slightly once more.

Last edited by Kaiu Maiya on Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:11 pm 

"It is very nice to meet you as well. I am Yasuki Daisuke." He was slender, but wouldn't be called lanky. A certain grace that seemed out of place in the Crab, but perfect as a Carp. For a moment, he admired her revealed face, but not to the point of rudeness or leering.

He stepped to the side, at the request.

"Please, allow me the pleasure of introduction. Kaiu Maiya-san, this is a cousin, Yasuki Yukarin-san. Yasuki-san," he bowed to Yukarin, smiling at her. "This is Kaiu Maiya-san. How fortunate we are to have a shining example of our warriors here with us in times such as these."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:15 am 

Introducing her brought Yukarin out of her thoughts, and she started a little before turning and bowing to Maiya, "A fighting Kaiu, hm? That's too bad, in a way; I was hoping for a second opinion on these battlements..."

She smiled brightly, "Not a big deal though. So, you're in our care, hm? I'll do my best to look after you then, Kaiu-sama! My hobbies include dice games, watching kabuki, and eating! Um... I'm sure there are other things, but it's not been the winter for much of that sort of thing; Mostly just sitting in a Lion stronghold and occasionally being challenged to Go."

carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:59 am 

Maiya had an unsullied and feminine face that contrasted to the extreme with the hardness and masculinity of her armour. Her hair was a little boyish however. Definitely the way she spoke suggested she was something of a tomboy. Likely a country samurai.

"It is nice to meet you Yukarin-sama." Maiya responds, using the other woman's first name as was natural when there were two Family members from the same Clan present at once. "Daisuke-sama flatters me too much with his praise." She adds, giving the woman a modest bow as well.

"I am sorry I am not an engineer or very knowledgeable. My father or my cousin could help, but they are not here. I am very sorry." The Kaiu explained in a quiet voice, looking relieved when Yukarin glossed over it without being upset.

"I also like eating and Kabuki. They are very enjoyable. I do not play dice games as I only lose. I have not tried Go. I asked my sensei to teach me once, but he made me do laps of the training ground instead."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:32 am 

He tried to commit her face to memory as the two others spoke, remaining perceptive and observant. As they shared their hobbies, he found a way to break in. "I'm not much of a Go player. A smattering of shogi but nothing to write home about. I'm afraid that I focused too much during my schooling. Though I did have a knack for brewing with my family's small distillery."

He then beamed. "I do wonder if their is any Kabuki here. Something we can watch so we don't always have to focus on the impending threats, ne?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:37 am 

Maiya shook her head. "The Lion don't seem keen on Kabuki. They prefer more traditional theatre or none at all. Most don't seem keen on fun things. The Ikoma are different. They enjoy art and games." It was frank of her to say this, but it was her honest impression of her hosts.

With a slight relaxing of her body she asked a sudden question to Daisuke. "What is Shogi?"

Last edited by Kaiu Maiya on Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:38 am 

Yukarin cleared her throat and actually slightly elbowed Daisuke, "Shogi? I think Daisuke-san merely mispoke. But yes; Having spent all winter with the Lion, there was not once a play on offer. The closest they had to art during the court were story telling contests. Oh, and one ikebana showing after one of the Crane present offered. The Lion offerings were actually quite nice, which I cannot say about my own arrangement..."

It almost made her shiver remembering some of the more pointed comments that had been made.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:51 am 

Overhead the rain was picking up again and the sun was winding down in the sky. In a few hours it would be dark. Water pattered off the bushi's helmet as she seemed quite uncaring about the weather.

"Oh, yes, they tell a lot of stories. They know a lot of history too. Often their stories are history lessons. I don't know how they remember it all." She mused on Lions and flower displays. "I didn't know they are good with flowers. Most of the ones I met were too busy telling me about their deeds and ancestors. Oh." She lifted up a hand as she realised she could be helpful. "Don't ask them about their ancestors unless you have a lot of free time or you are trying to make one happy. They can become really pleased if you ask about their ancestors. It just means they will talk a lot. It must be weird for them to be fighting their ancestors now."

Her lips pursed a moment before she corrected herself. "It is strange for all of us. I would not want to fight my grandfather. He was really big and scary. More than an ogre."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:11 am 

"It's why I contented myself to merely be an observer. I'm all thumbs when it comes to flower arranging. You showed more skill than I hope to, Yukarin-san." He sheepishly smiled, adjusting the brim of his hat for a moment.

"It may mean they will fight harder, Kaiu-san. To ensure the proper respect to their ancestors, as well as prevent any corruption by the Steel Chrysthanthemum." His demeanor turned serious, looking to the warrior. "But strange times indeed."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:25 am 

She lifted a hand to ask a question. "You mentioned corruption. Do you mean like in the shadowlands?" Without any non-Crab around Maiya felt she could get away with asking this. Her sensei had told her not to bring up such things around the other Clans.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:31 am 

"Mmmm... I'd heard it was the influence of Toshigoku, the Realm of Slaughter. I'll admit, I don't know if that's true or not, or how it works. But those were the rumors."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:53 pm 

A thoughtful noise left her throat as she crossed her arms.

"... The Realm of Slaughter, Toshigoku... ara... I don't know much about it, but what a frightening name." She remarks calmly. "I heard there was fighting already. What were the enemy like?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:58 pm 

She shook her head, "I've not seen, personally. Not being at the capital then getting evacuated like this."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:59 pm 

"Unfortunately, I don't have that information for you, either, Kaiu-san." He shook his head as well, then pursed his lips. "And I fear that you maybgwt the opportunity in the coming days. As skilled as you are, I'm sure, I don't wish for anyone to have to run headlong against an enemy they don't know enough about."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:58 pm 

She uncrossed her arms and rubbed her chin. "Suppose I will need to ask around."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:08 pm 

"Certainly, plenty of refugees of all stripes followed us here; Some of them from the Capital. Trying to get some tactical insights into the future then?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:17 pm 

To this she reached up and tugged up the string around her neck to reveal a finger of jade that had been hidden under her armour. "More trying to figure out if I need this. I will wear it anyway. It's good luck." She tucked it away before adding. "I usually just get orders. I suppose tactical insight would be nice."