It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:57 pm

Post subject: Re: [D2 EM] Brimstone for Breakfast
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:58 pm 

"I'll be surprised if I ever leave Lion lands for other purposes than war, and then arrive as an occupant, Shosuro-san. And we're allies, so it's very unlikely that I come to Ryoko Owari in such a capacity. I appreciate the sentiment very much though. Perhaps you might still perform in the Lion domain while here?" Kōgyoku remarked. She was getting good at this small talk thing, she thought. "Even if the circumstances in the city are not ideal right now, for which I apologise."

She turned to the Crane. "There are other magistrates in the same capacity, but currently my purview is indeed here, in the city."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:33 am 

Koushi beamed. "And may I say what an excellent job your people have been doing. These are trying times, yet the order and discipline of the garrison and staff here is inspiring."

Carries: Daisho, Fan, Medical Bag.
Wears: Sturdy, functional clothing, Snowshoes (outdoors), light armor (where appropriate
)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:16 pm 

"Hai Hai" Came Sara's sing-song voice. "The Lion are not in an easy position, but are doing an admirable job. Doji-sama, I hope the members of your clan are all safe and sound now in the city, and not injured?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:08 pm 

"Thank you for your appreciation, honourable guests. We'll do our utmost for the matters to stay this way, though if we're targeted with a siege I expect the situation of the city to get worse before it can be better again." Kōgyoku was likely one of the best - or the worst - to broach difficult truths. "Whatever happens, honour shall remain our guide."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:31 pm 

Shosuro Sara wrote:
"Hai Hai" Came Sara's sing-song voice. "The Lion are not in an easy position, but are doing an admirable job. Doji-sama, I hope the members of your clan are all safe and sound now in the city, and not injured?"

Koushi inclined his head to indicate a negative. "I am...uncertain as to the fate of the rest of my kinsmen. I was in the Lion delegation suite when the event occurred, and fought my way out in their company as the situation required. It is my hope that the Crane and Crab delegations are among those arriving today."

At the magistrate's words, he bowed his head slightly.

Wears: Sturdy, functional clothing, Snowshoes (outdoors), light armor (where appropriate
)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:46 am 

While the others carried on toward a conversation that was yet beyond her ken, Mai took to relaxing in the Onsen where she sat. Stretching, while maintaining propriety, and rolling her neck in this rare moment they might escape the cold. There was a memory there, of the cold, but it felt separated from her as if she couldn't touch upon it any longer.

A passing moment it distracted her, but nothing more. Returning her attention she continued to listen along to the conversation of those around her.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:02 pm 

"I share your hope that the usurper's forces have consumed as few loyal samurai as possible." The Lioness remarked. "And that your kin can rejoin you. If I personally learn anything of their fate, I shall bring it to the governor's attention so that you can learn of it as soon as possible, Doji-san." Compassion without favouritism and violation of chain of command.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:33 pm 

Sara nodded in appreciation. "Your Compassion is exceedingly graceful, Matsu-sama." She sighed, and saw her breath turn to moisture in the cool morning.

"I trust your kin will be safe Doji-san, and if I learn anything, I will let you know." She tilted her head, and glanced at the silent Dragon. Well, she is not mute, but still silent.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:41 pm 

Koushi bowed in thanks to first Kogokyu, and then to Sara. "A thoughtful gesture, -samas. I have always found that one can count on the daughters of Matsu to follow the most honorable of paths, and your offer, Shosuro-san, is deeply compassionate as well."

He hesitated. "I would...be loath to add another burden to the many you have had to bear. However, if the procedure is to be to report the arrival of samurai to the Governor, and then for him to alert others at his discretion, it seems appropriate for you to be forearmed with as much knowledge as possible."

His on slipped just enough for the corners of his mouth to slide down in a frown.

"The fact is that I was among the Lion that day to meet the samurai-ko that I was--am--to marry---pursuant to a treaty whose status, I grant you, is somewhat murky. Akodo Akihino is her name, but I lost track of her in the chaos. I ask no disruptions of the chain of command, Matsu-sama, but if it should be that she is found, I should be very appreciative of...well, of some word."

)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:54 pm 

"Akodo Anihino-san, you say?" Sara seemed to have her interest perked.

"I shall pray to Benten so that your betrothed is found safe and sound."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:04 pm 

"Akihino, hai. Shosuro-san, she is a Chui, I understand, of the 1st Army." He bowed again in gratitude. "My thanks for your prayers. With the chaos...it is difficult to know how the future will shape itself. Her survival would be...would grant some measure of surety."

)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:04 pm 

Something about what Koushi had said struck a cord in Kōgyoku's heart. She looked at him with more compassion. "Since your betrothed is one of my own, I'll let you know as soon as I learn anything. If you've fought alongside my kin and are worthy of a Lion bride, you are deserving of such consideration."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:44 am 

"Your words are an honor, Matsu-sama, and I will do my best to live up to the esteem you have expressed."

Koushi's back, long used to the endless bowing in the halls of Kyuden Doji, supported another gesture of gratitude with only the faintest whisper of stiffness. The water helped.

)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:58 am 

"I will add her into my prayers as well, Doji Koushi-sama," she added, though a touch sheepish. Rubbing the back of her neck she let out a soft sigh. Closing her eyes for a moment she inhaled and then exhaled quietly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:05 pm 

"Had you had some opportunity to acquaint your betrothed before your ways parted, Doji-san?" Kōgyoku asked gently.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:07 pm 

Koushi's expression darkened only slightly.

"The meeting which was interrupted was our first. I...had been taken somewhat by surprise by the arrangement in the treaty, and wished to learn more about Akodo-sama. I might have better served the intent of the treaty by delaying, however, as she expressed similar surprise."

A pause. "Well, if I am truthful, it was more like alarm."

)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:08 pm 

"It's only natural that old enmities colour preferences, Doji-san. But Akodo-ue has set an example for a meaningful bond between your Clan and mine. The Lion in similar circumstances shall follow her example and shall undoubtedly find honour and commitment in such a duty." Kōgyoku reassured him in her own way.

"I met my betrothed just yesterday, after five years of correspondence." She added. "He's a Scorpion. Such bond would have been close to unthinkable a decade ago."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:55 pm 

Koushi smiled in silent acknowledgment of her expression of empathy.

"I suppose not. We live in interesting times, and yes, treasured ideas are not always as quick to respond to political changes as we might wish. But I will keep Matsu-sama and Akodo-ue's examples in mind as I navigate the rapids of pre-marital life."

Assuming either Akodo-sama or I are alive in the near future, of course.

)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:03 pm 

"In uncharted territory, focus and honour are the best guides." The Lioness nodded in agreement, then wrung her hair in hands, and finally reached for the towel. "And honour now dictates that I don't tarry in baths while duty awaits, no matter how courteous the company."

As she rose and quickly covered herself, several old scars flashed across her body briefly, a testament to the violence she must have experienced since young age. Not all of them came from blades though. Some looked nastier.

"Sayounara, mina-san."

And then she left in steady step, without looking back.

/exit