It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:52 pm

Post subject: [D2 EE] Past Prologue
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:31 am 

Myo-en had spent the winter in Toshi no Omoidoso, and while she had uneasily mixed feelings about the idea of dedicating a city shrine to the heroine of a tragic love story, she'd also quickly come to realize how seriously the townsfolk take the cult of Matsu Hitomi. To disregard their customs would surely be both impious and disrespectful of her hosts. Thus, she'd developed the habit of visiting the shrine at least once a week throughout the winter. If one came at a quiet time of day, it was a peaceful place to meditate as well.

The present moment isn't such a peaceful one--the whole town is stirred up like an anthill by the influx of refugees, and Hitomi's shrine is no exception--but it's still calmer than the streets outside. Myo-en offers her incense with a few simple prayers and then sits back on her heels, contemplating the painted image of the Lion heroine.

Post subject: Re: [D2 EE] Past Prologue
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:08 am 

It was obvious that the situation in the city was bad when she arrived but the situation here just got worse. Wasako had just found herself in the middle of everything just a few moments ago. Despite her best intentions, she wasn't really able to do much except get in the way. Even her attempted denouncement of tragedies fell on deaf ears. At the end of the day, even words that didn't fall on deaf ears could do little to feed or shelter the unfortunate souls who have found their way into the city.

She found her way to somewhere less crowded and somewhere she could breathe at the very least to collect her thoughts. There was perhaps enough going through her mind to consider much about the place itself or its purpose as she walked into the shrine.

Character Profile • Art by Joanne Kwan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:18 am 

Myo-en hears another person enter the shrine hall and twists fluidly from the waist to glance backward at whomever has just entered. Sharp black eyes recognize Wasako; Myo-en flows to her feet and bows politely. "Mirumoto-san, hello. Are you still well this evening?"

That still contains many syllables' worth of the day's chaotic and troubling events.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:51 am 

Wasako perked up the familiar voice that greeted her and bowed back in returned politely. There was a faint smile on her lips as she felt mildly embarrassed that she missed her at first glance, especially when she was more distracted than anything. Luckily, she didn't physically bump into her at the very least!

"Good evening, Togashi-san," she nodded once. "I am...fine."

The slight hesitation in her voice might have indicated more that she was fine physically than anything. "How about you?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:18 am 

"Healthy and as prepared as I can be." Myo-en's smile is a bit sad. "Better fed than those outside the walls tonight--a thing that is hard to forget."

She rolls her shoulders to loosen the muscles after those long minutes of ritual stillness, watching Wasako with that sometimes-unsettling intent look of hers. "I didn't expect to see war again when I came to winter here. Not war that concerned me, at least."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:29 am 

Wasako couldn't help but sigh and give a downtrodden nod when Myo-en brought up the very thing that was on her mind. "There were more here today than yesterday...that's mentioning the obvious but it almost seems like a flood pushing against a rock that will be unable to withstand the tide. No incidents yet but that might change sooner than later."

Seeing as she was seated, Wasako decided to do the same. "Even if we were to forgo our hospitality here. I think even the food for thought we're left with is far greater than what some of the refugees have at the moment."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:05 pm 

"Hm. I'm not advanced enough to nourish my body on thought alone," Myo-en admits, with a note of regret. "But I have a roof to sleep under. In this weather, that means life, even more than food."

She sighs, looking uncertain. "I hope the Lion have a plan to move them to safer refuge before the enemy arrives. I understand why they did not want more people in the city, but of only they could have a little shelter, just for tonight, to keep the frost away..."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:00 pm 

Wasako gave Myo-en a glance at her words. Perhaps she didn't mean truly sustaining the body on thought alone indefinitely but if anyone could be truly capable of such a feat, it would likely be a Togashi monk or a member of the Brotherhood?

She took a breath in, taking up the scent of the lit license that Myo-en had set down. "I don't know if the governor and the Lion are completely at fault for how they've managed this. It hasn't been a very merciful season for spring, for this far south at least. Were they caught unawares? From the chaos of the courts, it seems that there have been squabbles on how to proceed. Even without being involved in that, just witnessing it is a very frustrating experience I've found, to say the least..."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:36 am 

"From what I know, no one in this city learned anything of the Emperor's murder until yesterday. How could they not have been caught unaware?" The question seems genuine, not just rhetorical.

"The Lion say they are always prepared for war, but what war between humans is like this? A lord who wants land and wealth doesn't put commoners to the sword and drive whole cities out into the snow..." Myo-en's expression grows grim.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:32 am 

"I did speak to a Kitsu earlier in the day who had an inkling this would happen based on the previous Emperor's...reputation. I think he might have been in the minority but there were people who had clear doubts. Probably not on the same scale of what has happened...." She could only give a shrug at that. Even if it were true, they were already helpless to do much now other than deal with the present.

She grimaced. "I don't think the refugees would last very long in the snow, let alone what might await them in the wilderness."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:04 am 

"No. Even a good woodsman would be in danger in this weather." Myo-en rubs a hand over her clean-shaven scalp, a vaguely weary gesture. "I am trying to see the place for repair in all this, but it's hard. My vision isn't keen enough. Maybe Lord Togashi's would be."

She lets her hand drop into her lap and fixes her focus on Wasako again. "Have you seen battle before, Mirumoto-san?" she inquires.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:17 am 

"I doubt he'd come so easily for quick inquiries but I suppose his appearances are never expected?" She said as she shot a curious glance to Myo-en, considering she had met the Lord on many occasions.

Myo-en had read her mind as she was thinking about broaching her on the topic of war. "...No, not real battle. I suppose the most exciting use of my skills was when there were bandits roaming around the village or that one time we had a rowdy ronin with too much money to spend on sake. Or the random exiles who get chased off easily when they realized we weren't heimen."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:54 pm 

"Hm. Often unexpected--that describes it best." Myo-en's expression lightens a bit, the line of her mouth curving upward. "Sometimes one expects him, and he actually does come. There are some times Champions must be present. But even when his arrival is predictable, what he says.... isn't always. Once I--" her expression clouds over and she shakes her head. "My lord Togashi is often surprising, one way or another. I've heard that many times from other brothers and sisters in the Order, too."

She considers Wasako's account of her martial experience for a few moments, head tilting a little to one side. "So you fought people moved by greed. And petty self-preservation. In the Shinomen, I fought beings defending their home, who thought they were attacking a wicked enemy. This fight... won't be like either of those things, I think."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:12 pm 

"Hm," she murmured quizzically with a hand on her chin regarding Myo-en's own experiences. It seems highly reflective of the brief experience she had this week. "I guess with Togashi-dono, the first meeting is much like the tenth meeting with him."

"I could imagine that fighting an enemy in the Shinomen is a whole different war from a conventional one too...It might have been silly to think anyone could feel at ease in such a circumstance. There weren't an innocents or collateral involved in your experiences? How about the emotions involved?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:22 am 

"Like and not like." Myo-en chuckles. "They say the former head of the Order, Togashi Shotaro-dono, was much the same that way."

"Hm... innocents? One thing I learned is, that question is.. complicated." She rolls her head from side to side a little, stretching her neck as she considers. "The Empire's law, Emma-O's courts... these punish the guilty according to their crimes, we're told. War is not like that. Most people who suffer in battle have some kind of sin in their kharma, maybe, but it's not their sin that measures out their fate. Awful people and ordinary people fall side by side, or survive side by side. At least, that's how it seemed to me. And both sides had camp followers and those who did not really fight, even the Naga."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:17 am 

"When kharma is involved, I suppose the idea of innocent becomes vaguer, I agree," she nodded a few times. "However, I'm thinking more about the heimen here and the refugees. They found themselves caught up as both participants and casualties. Their faces are many and also too many to remember. I suppose we would want for the best for them, despite not being our lands and the fact that we're only guests here. I wasn't so prepared to see the ripples...And what about their fate, then? I've seen today the Lion here seemed almost torn between fighting for glory and taking care of those lesser that need their help."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:15 am 

"Yes. And between helping the most people and... hm. How would they put it." Myo-en taps a finger against her lips, thinking. "Establishing the best tactical position. It's not an easy task. Many people who are good at it have... a kind of hardness. I am not sure how to describe it."

Without any indication that she's consciously decided to do so, Myo-en reaches into a pocket and fishes out three antique-looking bronze coins. She rubs the worn slips of bronze between her fingers meditatively. "The general who led us in the Shinomen campaign was... frightening. Death seemed to cling about her. But she cared about her army, and the experienced soldiers said she was very good at her work. Once, we found some eggs of the Naga. She ordered samurai to break them."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:29 am 

Wasako found herself narrowing her eyes, not exactly understanding what Myo-en meant regarding this certain quality in people. "I suppose it's perhaps a balance of duty they're looking to achieve? They must defend their holdings and lands...but without people, their holdings aren't exactly worth much, which doesn't give them much to defend in the first place."

She looked at the coins and found that they were familiar implements, although she didn't practice the mystic art herself.

"...and I imagine that they did? Did anyone show any reservations?" It almost seemed the answer was obvious. Even if some refused, there would have been volunteers eventually. It was unlikely many would protest over the enemy at the time?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:14 am 

"Enough did, yes. When your enemy are creatures very different from humans, sometimes it's hard to tell young from old, or warriors from workers, but that time was, well... obvious." She lets out a slow breath.

"Duty is part of it, but it isn't all, I think. They have to set aside compassion... in some part, but not all the way, because warriors don't like to fight for a person who has no compassion for them. And some, I thought, had almost a kind of," she thinks it over, the coins clinking, "joy? In taking lives and winning. But that could never be uppermost, or they would have become like the cursed spirits the refugees spoke about in Morikage Toshi."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:39 am 

She looked off while considering this scenario if she were in their sandals. Ultimately, she was at a loss to think of a hasty answer. "I guess it's easy to believe that I would pick the better answer if I had been there, although I haven't experienced or known leadership by this general. If everyone was wiser by then, did they take on this duty in its entirety or merely using it as an excuse to set aside everything else? Or hardly at all, as you speak of. Perhaps we could very well find ourselves among spirits destined for that realm? Do they wait for an opportunity or is it awakened inside them?"