It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:14 pm

Post subject: (D8, LE, Crab Embassy) Another Temporary Home
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:18 pm 

Yukarin had just passed out on her unrolled futon last night, so tired had she been from the long trip. Truthfully, she'd not been too worried about it since she had no clue how long she'd be in Nikesake, with things as they were, and unpacking everything only to have to pack it again soon felt like a waste of energy.

Still... she sat there with her door open, Crab passing occassional to be treated to the sight of the young woman staring at an almost literal mountain of stuff with a very thoughtful expression.

Honor: Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

Post subject: Re: (D8, LE, Crab Embassy) Another Temporary Home
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:48 pm 

Maiya had only been at the Crab embassy in Nikesake briefly and just once. It had been when she first arrived as a courtesy so the ambassador knew she was there and could call on her if necessary. With that came the added benefit of having someone to vouch for her if any of her superiors doubted that she had travelled to her sister's wedding properly. Not that any would mind you, but Maiya liked to cover her bases and avoid trouble. It was a good habit.

Her second visit was to check in on the Yasuki she'd met the day before. Having heard they were at the Embassy, and with her cousin always going to bed early, she'd decided to check in on them after hearing about various unsavoury things happening all day. She also hoped they might know more. Being an ordinary bushi meant the Kaiu didn't exactly get a lot of correspondence informing her of things. The only letters she received were from her family, and they were a rarity.

It was in this way that she ended up outside Yukarin's door having received some directions from one of the embassy staff. The building had a few new occupants now; all of them having retreated from the returned spirits that were rampaging to the East. Seeing the door open Maiya, who was once again in her armour, cleared her throat softly and waited. She wasn't sure what the protocol was for announcing herself outside the room of a well to do Yasuki courtier. Her sister had always just let her walk in, but Yukarin wasn't her sister.

Then again, the Yasuki had probably heard the woman's armoured footsteps coming down the hallway. While it could have been one of the Crab guards or another guest it probably had caught her attention for a moment.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:08 pm 

Rather than turn, Yukarin actually tilted her head back so she got an upside down view of the Kaiu standung in the doorway. This also meant the subsequent smile was upside down, but it was a smile nevertheless.

"Ah, Maiya-san. Come in, come in."

Sitting back up straight before standing, Yukarin gave two smiling bows in her violet yukata, hands folded in front of her.

"Pardon the state of barrenness in the room, I've nothing ready to receive guests."

carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:26 pm 

Maiya smiled back. It was thankfully visible as her menpo was tucked away in her armour. "Yuka-ano, Yasuki-sama, hai." She gave a quick dip of her head. Once again a full bow was difficult in armour.

Very carefully she stepped inside. She was used to moving around without hitting anything too hard with her armoured body. One of the dangling armoured plates protecting her thighs did bump into the doorway, but the hard wood absorbed it easily. There was a reason Crab used hard wood in doorways.

"Iie, iie Yasuki-sama. It's nothing, and I would not be deserving of such a fuss." She hastily replied, her gaze briefly scanning the room and returning to Yukarin. "Actually, I came to check on how you and Yasuki Daisuke-sama were doing." She says from a couple feet into the room where she remained standing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:05 am 

"I've not heard from Daisuke-san since before court this morning; I'm not even sure about whether he's back here at the embassy or not. Have you been spending your day with your cousin then?" she asked, not seeing the other Kaiu here as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:12 am 

"A little, hai. She's asleep now. We had a nice long bath where we chatted with a Lion samurai. Afterwards she was sleepy so..." Her shoulder guards shifted upwards and then back down. A shrug.

"Eto, do you need a hand with any of this Yasuki-sama?" Maiya asks, nodding to the full room and Yukarin's many things. It reminded the Kaiu of a Crab storeroom for supplies.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:39 am 

Truthfully, everything was stacked very neatly inside one gigantic looking box type thing with carrying straps and a two meter long sword strapped to it, only a few things having been removed so far.

"Ah, that... I suppose I've just so tired from the journey, I've neglected to unpack. I probably should so I have clean clothes for tomorrow. But, as you can see, it's a lot to unpack. Especially since the sake boxes are on top in there so there's no weight on them."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:48 am 

"Hai, it looks that way Yasuki-sama." It was a very big box. "You carried this?" Maiya asks, somewhat surprised. If so the young woman was much stronger than she looked.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:55 am 

"Hai. It's like loading a horse, really; It's all about weight distribution and lifting with your legs, in the end. Of course, that means if you start tipping over, it's hard to stop..."

"Still, I'd rather deal with walking carefully than an ornery horse any day. Especially if you add in care and upkeep and such; My own food budget is quite enough as is."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:02 am 

"Oooo!" Maiya lets out a genuinely impressed noise as she glances between the heavy box and the relatively small woman. "Amazing technique Yasuki-sama. Maybe one day you can show me how? It would impress my unit's Nikutai."

She flashed a smile and nodded as Yukarin made a few more comments. "Hai, horses can be very difficult."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:43 am 

"Not for everyone; My older sister was a natural with horses. Could understand what they're feeling and everything. She used to help me when I would get scared about riding one instead of lounging in the wagon~"

That got a small sad sigh from her.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:51 am 

Puzzle pieces clicked into place. "Ano, was Yasuki-sama born a Unicorn?" She had realised. That was something.

"It must be difficult being away from your birth family. Lonely and different, ne? I'm sure my sister will feel the same once she has settled into the Lion. Your sister sounds like a really kind woman."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:56 am 

"Hai, she was the best. Stood up to my parents for me and my choices even when I was being rebellious, but also made them proud training as both a shugenja and a magistrate."

A small sad chuckle, "She was also the prettiest woman in the world, I think. I still look up to her, even if I'm nothing like her. Do you have a good relationship with your sister then, Maiya-san?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:43 am 

Maiya blinked at Yukarin. The woman was very, very pretty herself, so what was her sister like? She couldn't imagine it. Their family clearly had excellent breeding and ancestors.

Softly clearing her throat she tried her best to cheer the Yasuki up while also answering her question. "Yasuki-sama is very beautiful. I have not met your sister, but we always look up to our siblings, ne? When I was a child my eldest sister would receive love letters. Back then I was still a brat and my second eldest sister was in an awkward period of growth. Neither of us felt we were anything like her. She was very pretty. Yet, when I was training a few years later and my second eldest was near her gempukku she too received letters. She'd blossomed into an elegant and striking young woman. At her wedding a week ago she was even moreso." She blushed a little as she smiled at the memory. "Before the ceremony she said I was pretty too, and that I should look after my face and believe in myself. I don't know about all that. I always felt I was letting my family down, especially compared to them or my mother. However, it made me feel a little better. She also got me to admit that I'm not unattractive so..."

She stepped closer and carefully, because of her armour, crouched down near Yukarin. "Forgive my long winded answer and impertinence Yasuki-sama. Yes, I have a good relationship with my sister, if sadly not so much with my eldest sister. However, what matters more is how we see ourselves. Excuse me." Shifting closer she leaned toward her and extended a hand out toward her face.

Past her cheek.

Over her shoulder to grasp a circular golden hand mirror sitting sticking out from the other Crab's things. She lifts it and brings it back toward herself, turning its face toward Yukarin with a big grin.

"I'm going to do for you what my sister did for me. So! Please look in the mirror and tell me something you like about your appearance."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:59 am 

Yukarin blinked as her mirror was pulled off from its perch; It had been one of the first things she'd pulled out in order to look presentable today, but this was certainly an unexpected turn.

"About my appearance? What I see in the mirror and such?"

She glanced briefly from the mirror to the Kaiu, unsure of what this was all about somehow.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:01 am 

"Hai. Something positive." Maiya exclaims cheerfully, remembering and repeating what her sister had said to her.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:12 am 

"Well... I really like my necklace," Yukarin said, holding the string of pearls between the fingers as she looked at in the mirror, "especially the gold magatama that sets off so well against purple or blue, you know?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:18 am 

"Hmm..." The Yasuki was more difficult than she had been. Now Maiya was having to think.

"Eto, I mean your physical appearance. Yourself. Your magatama is nice and you know how to dress and to wear nice fabrics, but what about you. Your face or your hair or your body. That kind of thing."

She peeked up over the mirror. "Like, that you have a cute nose or, ano, exquisite straight hair, or... what about your curves. Hmm?" She murmured the sound at the end insistently.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:35 am 

Yukarin tilted her head a little, not looking away from the mirror even as Maiya moved, "Ano... well, I ~do~ have a cute nose. I suppose... otherwise... I could always just say what my husband tells me. He is very good at giving compliments, I think. Even if he flatters me a bit, I enjoy it."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:38 am 

The Kaiu actually pouted. "I'm beginning to think you're teasing me Yasuki-sama. You do know you are pretty then, ne?" She sighed a little, feeling deflated.

Shifting the mirror so the reflection showed Yukarin's face fully she resumed her earlier attempt to cheer Yukarin up. "Your husband isn't flattering you. He is being honest. Please say so to yourself."