It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:34 pm

Post subject: It's Tay A Tom Ay [D12, LM, Expecting]
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:48 pm 

The sound of clinking cups and trays drifted through the door of the meeting room Degarashi currently occupied as he, once again, rearranged the tea set and selection of food on the table before him. Nothing looked right, and all the times he'd played a Crane in the past hadn't covered which direction the rice should be facing after sunrise.

He wasn't even certain why he was hosting someone to start with. In the broadest of terms, Degarashi wasn't important enough to be doing these kinds of things, but apparently his presence had been specifically requested, so here he was, flipping onigiri this way and that, trying to assemble some deep hidden meaning of honor and respect that the glutinous masses refused to reveal.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

Post subject: Re: It's Tay A Tom Ay [D12, LM, Expecting]
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:49 pm 

An ambassador's request wasn't something easily turned down. Poemu didn't like abusing her position, except when it came to meeting new people. She had made notes about who had been in the courts, since Toshi no Omoidoso as well as those new to Nikesake. The Bayushi was one that had been constantly present, so it was that soon enough, she had put ink to paper and sent her request.

The Agasha was fashionably on time, rather than fashionably late. After being sent to the room, she gave a scratch and opened it when it was certain that Degarashi was indeed within. She opened the door, stepped in, closed the door, and gave a bow, smiling with barely contained warmth as she straightened. "Ah, Bayushi-san, thank you for hosting me. I had hoped that this would be a good time, and it seems it is. This one is Agasha Poemu, and it is an honor. May this one join you at your table?"

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:01 pm 

Boring low allowed Degarashi to hide the blush on his face as the breakfast array mocked his very existence. "Hai, Agasha-sama, this one would be honored to have you present at his table. He only hopes that the meager offerings available are adequate."

Though the redness in his face was contained by the time he stood, it returned somewhat upon seeing the genuine warmth radiating from Poemu's very presence in the room. The fortunes apparently wouldn't be content until he'd suffered every possible flavor of social discomfort he could think of, and several extra aside.

"I've taken the time to prepare some oolong to enjoy as we speak about... whatever matter it is that you wished to speak to me about."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:07 pm 

Poemu lifted a sleeve and gave a silent laugh into it, shaking her head as she moved to sit. "Please. do not be so harsh on yourself. This looks like a fine spread Bayushi-san, I am quite touched by your thoughtfulness."

Waiting for Degarashi to sit, Poemu held one sleeve back a bit as she picked up the tea pot, delicately pouring for them both even though she was the guest. "Have you been well Bayushi-san? It seems we are under a reprieve from the siege and battle for now, so it is already a better day, but if I recall, you have been with the evacutation since Toshi no Omoidoso, hai?"

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:13 pm 

Grateful for the distraction of conversation, Degarashi nodded to Poemu and tried not to imagine the onigiri laughing at him from the edge of the table. "Hai, this one has been quite well, all told. We Butei aren't precisely cut out for combat, so avoiding the more rigorous occurrences over the past few days hasn't been particularly difficult."

His hands disappeared briefly beneath the table, and returned with a simple package, wrapped in sturdy paper, though there was obvious care taken in the assembly of it. "In light of this being our first meeting, I have a small token I wish to offer to you."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:17 pm 

Poemu's head tilted softly in curiosity. "I believe it is usually the guest that provides a gift Bayushi-san, hai? It is a thoughtful gesture, but I could not accept."

The Agasha had a small box set down beside her as well, but she left it alone as she was busy looking at Degarashi's.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:23 pm 

Degarashi almost visibly winced at the mistake, but gestured to the box anyway. "Ano... This one is not as well versed in the customs of court as he should be, but the gift was nonetheless selected for your esteemed person. Do please accept."

Red. So much red overtaking Degarashi's face it could steep the tea before him. Ask him to pull a blade on some upstart bushi and he'd scarcely hesitate. Ask him to hold on proper ceremony and he was all heels and thumbs.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:26 pm 

Poemu's smile remained just the same, not seeming to call any sort of attention to Degarashi's reddened features. "I am certain that it would be a burden to give me more than this meal Bayushi-san. I could not accept any more."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:30 pm 

He nudged the package forward just a little more, then pulled his hand away, letting his eyes fall towards it. "There is no burden that has not already been borne, Agasha-sama. This gift was crafted upon receiving your letter, it will not fulfill its purpose elsewhere."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:40 pm 

"Well then, I could most certainly not deny this gift it's purpose." She gave a seated bow and pulled the gift across the table. Her hand moved to the top to open it, but paused. Instead, she reached down an picked her own up and pushed it across the table.

A slight smirk touched the diplomat's lips, and she lowered her tone conspiratorially. "Let us make this one a bit easier. I do not doubt your sincerity after all. I am asking you three times if you wish to take this gift for hosting me."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:53 pm 

Another blush accompanied the cough of his understanding, as Degarashi nudged Poemu's gift gently backwards twice before accepting it. "There, I believe we have satisfied the rigors of convention?"

His eyes remained glued to the simple packaging of his gift, unable to avoid comparing it to the one he'd received. Hopefully what lay inside was worthy enough despite its humble trappings. A metaphor, perhaps, for the one giving the gift.

Craft: Woodworking: 5d10o10k3 16
[The package contains a hand carved wooden dragon, far from intricate, but sanded and etched with fine details. Degarashi even has a few nicks on his hands from making it himself]

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:10 pm 

Whether the Dragon thought the dragon simple or not, her smile widened just a bit at the sight. "Did Bayushi-san make this himself? It shows in the care. Arigato gozaimasu."

Inside the box Degarashi opened was a small, intricately folded paper scorpion. It showed some talent in its making, though even with that, the Ambassador's smile turned a touch sheepish and shy. "Sumimasen, if it is not too good. Shosuro Sara-san taught me the basics of orgami, so there are likely many refold marks marring the work."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:18 pm 

"Hai, this one crafted it sometime between receiving your letter this morning and your arrival. It may have been more intricate with more time to work, but I enjoy it for its simplicity." That placed it's generation at less than a few hours of work.

Degarashi carefully lifted the paper scorpion, admiring the details with a keen eye. "Why would you apologize for something so finely crafted? I find it lovely, Agasha-sama, a perfect reflection of its giver. It reminds me of a man I knew in my youth, who took to crafting smaller and smaller paper scorpions until he'd prefected one which could comfortably rest on the point of a chopstick. It is a good memory, arigatou."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:26 pm 

For just a moment she beamed with a genuine celebration before she let her more proper On level smile return. "I am glad to hear, Bayushi-san. I will have to thank Shosuro-san next time I see her for giving lessons that seem to have been quite marvelous in their efficiency."

Poemu took a sip of the tea before her curiosity immediately poured out, and she leaned over the table just a bit. "So, you are a butei! That means, I take it, that you were in the play yesterday?"

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:36 pm 

The sudden radiation of pride earned a briefly raised eyebrow, but it was non ionizing, and passed without comment. Remarks about the play, however, received a nodn of confirmation.

"Hai, I was. While not as well known as Sara-sama, I have far more extensive training in general roles. I played the warlock, making all those comments about..."

Fluff Acting: 7d10o10k3 26
****"

"... showing you the true temptations~!"

He even extended his hand towards Poemu as he spoke.

"It was a rather entertaining role."

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:47 pm 

The acting was spot on, and something about it made her brow furrow for a moment in discomfort. Finally Poemu nodded however, her faint smile back. That too lasted only a moment before she sighed. "I had missed when it was happening, so I missed the performance. I had been looking forward to it as well."

Taking an onigiri, the Dragon took a small bite before getting another of her questions out. "You were in Morikage Toshi then? I know she was to put on a play, and I am merely guessing you were to be a part?"

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:53 pm 

"Gomen, I do slip into character rather wholeheartedly even at rest." He shook the hand he'd extended as if it were cold or dirty. "I was never at Morikage Toshi. Rather I was at Toshi no Omoidosu visiting with my brother and his betrothed, fortunes rest both of their souls..."

Feeling suddenly self conscious, Degarashi grabbed a rice ball himself and began nibbling on it, to keep any more distressing words from escaping his lips.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:58 pm 

The Agasha looked softly sympathetic for a moment, but she kept that one more in check. "I am sorry for your loss Bayushi-san, and will pray for their soul's journey when next I'm in a temple. I had no relatives in either city, but I have lost friends to this war already. I am certain it will touch us all before this is all over."

She held off on another immediate question to eat and sip at some tea. No point talking the man's ear off so soon.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 12:03 am 

Though the deep inhalation of air felt like it snapped a number of cords around his chest, Degarashi was able to maintain his On and keep the thoughts of his loss away from his heart, where they might start controlling him. "Arigatou once again, Agasha-sama, your prayers are welcome. Though I imagine you didn't come all this way simply to offer your condolences and move on. Your time is more valuable than that.'

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 12:33 am 

Poemu raised a brow. "Is it? I am not really one that looks to value apart from the value of one's intentions and actions. There are certainly times and places coming that will require my time and attention quite fully, but for now, I think that it is quite valuably spent having a breakfast with an actor."

He had his chance for questions, she wouldn't miss her chance. "What about Bayushi-san's betrothed? Was she not in Toshi no Omoidoso then?"