It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:04 pm

Post subject: (D13, Scorpion Embassy) A Final Gift (closed)
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:27 pm 

Sukima waited, as she often did, with tea ready. This time, though, a small wooden box accompanied her at her side. Snack were arranged carefully on the table. Everything was perfect.

Post subject: Re: (D13, Scorpion Embassy) A Final Gift (closed)
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:43 pm 

Of course... being perfect, it likely would be too good for her guest, but Chihaya would likely appreciate it, all the same. As she scratched on the door, fresh from her meeting with Degarshi, she pondered how she had gotten mixed up with Scorpion again, after so long attempting to break those entanglements.

Maybe that was simply how that clan worked, constantly keeping you in the midst of some confusion or another...

Still, hopefully this meeting would be pleasant, and not at all a political trap which would dog her for years to come.

Profile :: Theme

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:51 pm 

Sukima called for her to come in and bowed once she entered the room. "Good evening, Suzume-san. It's a pleasure to see you in a different context than last time."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:04 pm 

That brought a little flush to her cheeks, though they paled compared to the vivid red of the kimono she wore. It was unorthodox, with a fur trimmed collar, but was otherwise a more traditional design - conservative and appropriate to a married woman.

With a smile, she bowed as well. "Hai, Yogo-san, it is. I appreciate your invitation - I am glad of the chance to meet you under less boisterous conditions." It was said sincerely, without any layered meanings which one might expect from a courtier - in many ways her nature was obvious, from calloused fingers to the faint farmer's tan, not to mention the daisho which indicated, in itself, what sort of woman she was.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:38 pm 

"Hmm. Cute," she noted before returning to a seated position. "I am, as well. Won't you join me, Suzume-san? Would you like some tea?"

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:09 pm 

"If it pleases you, Yogo-san, I would be delighted." A second, shallower bow of acceptance, and she took the offered seat with careful motions. She was attempting to be on her best behavior, even though it was easier for her to adopt a soldiers casual sprawl when at ease.

"I wasn't sure if there was a compelling issue behind the invitation, or just an opportunity to be sociable - one hopes the latter, and that she has not given any offense."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:41 pm 

She poured tea for them both. "Not at all... Simply a matter of sociability. I thought we might play a game of Go. It's been a long time for me. Oh, and this."

She lifted the wooden box and set it in the center of the table. "A gift."

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:51 pm 

Oh, a gift? If it was a letter, she would stab Sukima here and now...

Keeping her expression bland, she offered, politely, "Oh, a game... I would be honored. Yet I could not ask for both your time and a gift, surely such is too demanding, I must refuse the latter."

She glanced at the box, curiously, but did not otherwise make any move toward it.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:14 pm 

"I assure you, it is no trouble at all. I am happy to offer both this evening," she offered again, falling into the gifting habit.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:58 pm 

Coming up with clever refusals was difficult, and Chihaya frowned, trying to find a courteous way to refuse that wasn't too extreme. This really wasn't her strong suite, and eventually she offered, "I am certain there are others more deserving of your gift, Yogo-san."

There that was vague enough to be true but also easy to override.

At least... she thought so?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:02 am 

"Perhaps, but I got it with you in mind. Please accept, Suzume-san," she said, making the final offer with a bow.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 12:43 am 

"Then I cannot turn it away. You have my gratitude for your generosity, Yogo-san."

Chihaya bowed in turn, deeply, showing thanks for the woman covering over her awkward handling of the tradition.

Accepting the box, she opened it, curiously, taking a small peek inside.

The caution might have been propriety - after all, one mustn't seem too eager.

It might also have been a reasonable desire to avoid a poisonous animal leaping out, or some other horrible thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:18 am 

Inside the box was a set of silver hair pins, each one topped with a circular design (similar to this) featuring flowers of various seasons, including an orchid. They're beautiful without being ostentatious, and clearly well made.

Sukima bowed a little at the acceptance. "I hope you like it."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:34 am 

Chihaya couldn't entirely hide her surprise, and she colored a little. Her husky alto squeaked a little as she replied, "They're gorgeous!"

She was no botanist, so she couldn't make out the different flowers by season, nor take any message based upon the meaning of any flowers, but she did, at least, recognize they were quite pretty, and couldn't quite hide her excitement.

"Ano... I have never had such items before. I do not know where is appropriate to wear them..."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:43 am 

She leaned forward, a pleased smile at her excitement. She hovered a finger above each one. "These are appropriate for a variety of occasions. Casual enough to use to simply dress up for someone, but pretty and well made enough to handle Winter Court. There's one for each season - mistletoe for Winter, not technically a flower but close enough, iris for Spring, dahlia for Summer, and orchid for Fall."

She sat back. "I had to guess, but it seemed like you might be the sort of person who would like something pretty, but not too ostentatious or impractical."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:47 am 

"Hai... very much." She smiled at the ornaments. "They are lovely - I look forward to passing them on to my daughter some day."

A simple statement, but perhaps one which spoke volumes about the woman and her clan, to the observant.

Gently extracting the mistletoe, she turned it over in her hands. She seemed remarkably self conscious, a little pink in the cheeks, and suddenly younger than her normal aura of experience implied.

"Should it go in the back, or the side?" She wasn't sure how she should use the pin, normally using bland items that held her hair out of the way when fighting, and no more. Also, with her hair brushed over her left eye socket, it was difficult to style it too much, lest it uncover the eyepatch, and make others uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:13 am 

"It really depends on how you put your hair up."

She reached over to her own items, pulling out a similar two-tined hairpin. She took a lock of her own hair, twisting it into a coil and pinning it slightly diagonally to the side. "Something like this is a good basic start. Your hair should be just long enough for something like that."

She gestured to her. "I could demonstrate a few possibilities, but I don't know if you'd consider that inappropriate."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:50 am 

"Inappropriate? Not at all."

After all, she was a sensei in a dojo for bushi - hand to hand was part of the curriculum, and she doubted Sukima would get that touchy.

"Any guidance would be welcome. I would not wish to do this gift a disservice by wearing it wrong..."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:47 pm 

The redhead immediately gave a smile that was practically predatory. Coming around the table and sitting behind Chihaya, handing her her hand mirror, polished metal with the design of a peacock worked into the unreflective side.

"I won't do anything too over the top, but I have some ideas..."

With that, she took a little while just doing and redoing the Sparrow's hair, giving instructions along the way.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:19 pm 

Chihaya tried to follow along, though she wasn't sure it would all stay with her.

Hair was complicated!

She was fortunate, however, to have thick, healthy hair, even though it made styling it somewhat difficult, as it was unruly, it also meant it was in good condition despite the simple care she gave it.

After a while, she inquired, "Are there any you think would... suit in particular?"

If she was going to keep any of these in mind, she wanted to at least choose the best ones!