It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 4:49 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: [D8 LM, Scorpion Embassy] Red (and Black) Alert (closed)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:30 am 

... Sukima paused. Many thoughts ran through her head for a moment before she finally took a deep breath and mentally stepped back. Finally, she said, "It has moved well past apology, I think, in the Crane mind, but we might be able to convince them to temporarily move that way. It would take extreme tact, considering it is true we need to do that without looking like we support the Crane."

"We have the day. Let us wait until we know the perspective of the governor, which will give us more information to use with regard to the Crane. We can't stop the war that will likely come of it, and once the succession crisis is resolved, it is likely not in our best interests to do so. But we do need a temporary cessation of such things while we're in this particular situation."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:59 am 

Degarashi began drumming his fingers quietly, nervously, a thought beginning to take form inside his mind. He glanced up at those assembled, but most prominently Sukima, seeking permission to voice his disturbing thoughts.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:04 am 

"Then suicide it will likely be," says Tameaki with a sigh. "We have the assets to push the matter along ourselves, if needed?"

Carries/Wears: Extravagant clothing, wakizashi, jitte, mask, fan, personal seal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:48 am 

Chen for his part simply nodded and sat there. she knew his skills and should she ask him to use them he would without hesitation.

When appropriate: Light Armor, Yumi

Profile Mask

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:02 am 

Kitamaru, in truth, was not the most observant Scorpion to scuttle across Rokugan, but could claim to have a sense of other's moods.

If Degarashi were perhaps the same, the Bayushi might have felt a particular warning in the form of the Shosuro's cold stillness.

"I spoke well with a Crane, Koushi-san, a doctor assigned to thr former winter delegation. If it is your wish, denka, i will do what I can."

It was a surptising amount of verbage all at once for Kitamaru. It's possible the Shosuro's mouth was tired from the effort.

When Allowed: Armor, Yumi/Arrows

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:07 am 

"Shosuro-san, you may find that to be a touch difficult, given the talk on the streets," Tameaki says.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:21 am 

Bayushi Degarashi wrote:
Degarashi began drumming his fingers quietly, nervously, a thought beginning to take form inside his mind. He glanced up at those assembled, but most prominently Sukima, seeking permission to voice his disturbing thoughts.

She gestured to Degarashi. "Please, speak your mind."

She frowned and nodded. "Yes, but if you knew that Crane, you have an in and can get along with them again. I will have you see to it."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:35 am 

Degarashi glanced up and nodded, eyes distant and focused. "I'm far from an expert, but my understanding is that the realms don't just open up then go away. They corrupt. They influence and insinuate, pressing against the reality around them, making that which is other more like itself."

"This city is surrounded by slaughter, assaulted by it, and now seems infected by it. All the legal precedent and bushido in Rokugan wouldn't stop the realm itself if it were here. If it is, the risen Hantei wouldn't even need to commit his forces against us for long, merely delay us until the inevitable took its course naturally."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:40 am 

The woman blinked at him a few times, focusing harder on him as if really seeing him for the first time. Her gaze was sharp, as if looking into him rather than at him. "... That is an excellent observation, Bayushi-san. Ordinarily I would ascribe the violent overreactions of today to everyone being cooped up together and tense - and that is likely part of it - but it's entirely possible there's influence from the Realm of Slaughter, as well. Something to take into account."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:20 am 

Chen thought for a moment"but these returned have been around for awhile, I mean the returned Hantei has been back for a long time wouldnt we have noticed an influence of the spirit realms before now?" It wasnt a ridiculous theory but he just wanted to look at from all angles for a moment.

When appropriate: Light Armor, Yumi

Profile Mask

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:28 am 

"Who's to say we haven't?" Tameaki offers. "An Empire pushed to the brink of civil war on a scale unseen since...well, ever, as far as I know. Tempers flaring among those who should be allied against a dangerous foe. The incident in Ryoko Owari. The Bloodspeakers. The Naga War. There's been quite a large-scale spiritual disturbance building for some time, it seems."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:47 am 

"More than that, even. The Steel Chrysanthemum isn't known in history as a violent, indigent buffoon. How else could he have insinuated himself into the courts after so long among the death and carnage of Toshigoku? To maintain one's mind in such a place for such a long time is uniquely terrifying."

Degarashi looked to the assembled Scorpion. "I know not for certain, and I cannot deign to speak beyond my station, but I propose that the Scorpion begin to act under the assumption that we are compromised. At worst it simply stands as unnecessary precautions, and I pray this is little more than suspicion at best. But we must take control of the situation swiftly, gather our informants, our shugenja, hunt for anything out of place. Simply removing threats cannot be enough here, for blood will only answer in blood. I fear we must act now, or lose all against a foe who has glutted himself on our presumed understanding of his depth..."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:53 am 

Kitamaru stayed silent. Perhaps the Bayushi had a point, not as if the Shosuro could differ one moment of bloodlust from the next.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:14 am 

"A wise approach, Bayushi-san," Tameaki says, nodding in approval. "If we are not now compromised, the increasing instability increases the possibility that we will become so at some point before the end of this affair. If we proceed with caution, we may yet come out of this without having lost too much."

He takes a sip of tea and, having emptied the cup, puts it aside.

"As for internal stability, I might be able to offer a method of determining if an individual has been compromised," he continues. "I heard of a trick during my recent stop at Shiro no Soshi that would do the job, but I'd have to get my hands on...shall we say, a specific text in order to employ it. Now, this city is the Lion's, but it was once under the control of the Phoenix, so there should certainly be specialized libraries where the text may be found, yes?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:28 am 

"No... He is known for being extremely intelligent and politically savvy," she said with a frown. "The official records start to become thinner about five years into his reign, though, so it's harder to say. There are... gaps."

She nodded to Degarashi and Tameaki. "Strange things have been afoot for a long time.... Toshigoku may even only be part of it. We need a complete picture. I would like you all to look further, and if you find something more, please let me know."

She looked to Tameaki. "Please find this book, and once you have it, I would like you to explain more about this procedure. At the moment, the influence may be subtle."

"Everyone, please be on your guard. If the influence of Toshigoku is present, it is clearly a subtle thing. It took us this long to put the pieces together. Consider your actions and those of others carefully."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:53 am 

Should not a vassal be prepared to kill, or die, at a moment's notice?

Kitamaru wondered how this caution would affect duty.

"Denka, I will perform my duties', the Shosuro said. "What of dealing with the Lion?"

It was clear that if the realm of slaughter truly were showing influence, that they would be more easily swayed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:58 am 

"Information warfare. Suppress and spread rumors, get key information to the right individuals. Lead them to believe that they could be compelled by the realm, through the proper channels, and they might fall in line without complaint." Degarashi nodded to Tameaki. "For ourselves it's important to be certain, but outside our own ranks all we need is the idea that it might be true to bring the reins in on this city."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:12 am 

"An explanation...well, that may be just a little difficult," says Tameaki, reluctantly. "The more poetic would call the text 'Whispering Wind', but in the end it simply reveals intentional false statements for what they are. Through questioning, I could determine if someone is knowingly working for the enemy."

He pauses, scanning the room.

"What I have just told you does not leave this room," he continues, his tone most serious. "None outside the clan may know of my ability to make use of...such texts. I am placing my full trust in all of you. Do not disappoint me."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:22 am 

Kitamaru nodded understanding, but gave nothing else away.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:25 am 

Bayushi Degarashi wrote:
"Information warfare. Suppress and spread rumors, get key information to the right individuals. Lead them to believe that they could be compelled by the realm, through the proper channels, and they might fall in line without complaint." Degarashi nodded to Tameaki. "For ourselves it's important to be certain, but outside our own ranks all we need is the idea that it might be true to bring the reins in on this city."

"That's true... Plant the idea in their head and it will follow them," she agreed. "Hopefully make them think twice about their actions. I can take care of that, and possibly one more person if they feel the need.."

She listened to Tameaki, nodding. "I hesitate on that, but only because I suspect that knowing betrayal isn't the problem so much as subtle spiritual influence. The influence of Toshigoku making of quicker to violence. It also may be better safe than sorry, however." She looked to the others. "What are the rest of your feelings on the matter?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next