It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:35 am

Post subject: [Day 3, Late Morning - Eastern Wall] Peasant Levies
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:57 am 

The frozen rain fell mercilessly, a cascade of sound from hitting the stone walls creating a constant symphony of white noise. Mogami's long black hair was plastered against her red and gold armor, but her helmet prevented her head from being completely exposed. She moved swiftly through the city streets, her two budoka similarly protected by their Ashigaru armor. The rest of her new charges however were not so lucky.

As she marched, a few dozen peasant bowman trudged along behind her in a sorry excuse for a formation. They looked cold and miserable, the peasant rags they wore doing a poor job at keeping them warm. Eventually they arrived at the gate house and entered the structure, making their way up the narrow stairs to the entrance to the wall. The makeshift archery range she had set up the day before still stood, a stack of hay bales set up as targets. A large stockpile of arrows was kept just under the south side of the eastern wall's gate, protected by the roof of the structure from the worst of the elements.

Once everyone was crowded into the top of the gatehouse, Mogami stands in the doorway out onto the wall and turns to address the gathered men.

"Welcome to the first day of the rest of your lives. For now until the foreseeable future, this is your home. We're going to be rotating drills every half hour. In between your drills, rest and warm yourselves and reflect on your lessons. We'll break for lunch at mid day and then for supper later. Once the fighting begins proper, you aren't going to have the luxury of breaks so get your rest and fill your bellies as much as you can when you're given the chance."

She then begins her lecture on the use of a bow, demonstrating the stance, telling the peasants the philosophy behind kyujutsu, and giving tips on how to clear their minds. After the lecture finishes, she points to the first row of peasants.

"You six are up first."

She then heads out onto the wall, once again being pelted by the wind and frozen rain.

"Remember, the most important aspect is to have belief that the arrow will listen to you. It knows the way. "

Her budoka hand each of the trainees a few arrows.

"Begin!"

The men all take up their bows, Mogami watching as her budoka kick feet apart, tap arms to bring them into the proper position, and straighten backs of the newly conscripted bowmen. For now, she lets them fire at the targets at will, watching closely to see their results.

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho
Court: Decent quality kimono and courtiers fan

Budoka's Tsuruga and Fuwa's Eqiupment:
Battle: Ashigaru Armor | Han-Kyu, Quiver w Willow Leaf Arrows | Yari
Court: Kimono

Post subject: Re: [Day 3, Late Morning - Eastern Wall] Peasant Levies
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:03 am 

While the Ikoma Lioness was not from the city, she still felt it was required to do her part for the city defenses, rather than leaving it to the ones from other clans. She didn't want to be in the tacticians briefings, nor did she really want to walk around on a big wall in the rain. Both sounded painful but for very different reasons.

However, a familiar voice caught her attention. Homura drifted in the direction to see Mogami on the wall, commanding a small unit of what looked like peasents.

Hey, a promotion! I think?

Dressed in her simple armour under her basic yellow borrowed umbrella, and with both her daisho at her side and a much longer and larger sword on her back, Homura called up to the woman on the wall.

"Permission to come up, Matsu-sama?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:09 am 

Mogami looked down of the interior of the wall. As she leaned over, her back banner fluttered in the wind.

"Ikoma-san!"

She called out with a hint of joy in her voice.

"You are more than welcome here, though stay too long and I will have to teach you how to shoot too!"

She beckoned for the woman and then turned back to the peasant firing line.

"NO!"

She barked and stomped over to one of them.

"Stop pulling at the string. You PUSH with your arm holding the bow. Like this!"

She demonstrates again for the man with her own Yumi.

"Now, try again!"

He does, this time doing it correctly.

"Good. Keep your eyes on the target. Think about where you want the arrow to go. Now clear your mind.....and release!"

At the word the peasant lets go and the arrow flies down the wall toward the hay target. It sticks into the very bottom of it, but still a hit.

"Good. Just like that. Keep it up."

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:12 am 

There's that Matsu fire that I admire."

Homura chuckled to herself as someone was told off, moving to climb up the stairs until she was at the top of the wall, hair fluttering in the wind. She had to angle her umbrella slightly to stop the rain hitting her in the face.

"Now now Matsu-sama, are you threatening me with a good time?" the girl grinned "I'm glad you are well, and that Shizimu-sama has seen the same brilliance that I've seen in you to allow you your own unit to teach and command. Your father would be proud of you. How's the training going?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:16 am 

Mogami quickly addresses her two budoka, instructing them to continue the drills and to swap to a new group once all six on the line are able to hit the target three times consecutively.

"Worse than I would have hoped, but but better than I expected. Come, let's stand out of the wind."

She beckons Homura to follow her to the protection provided by the walls and roof of the gate house.

"Did the morning find you well?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:20 am 

"I'm certain under your guidance this unit will become one of the best group of archers we have" Homura said with a smile to her friend "as for this morning? It has found me wet and cold, and I generally only enjoy the first one. However, not even I would risk the Onsen in this weather!"

She closed her umbrella, shaking it away from Mogami.

"Usually the saying is the calm before the storm, however we appear to have skipped the calm part entirely. Winter is supposed to be almost over, yet this feels like we're still gripped in the worst of it. Something very strange is going on."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:27 am 

A smirk crosses Mogami's face at the innuendo.

"I have a theory, but it's a far stretch. More likely that the heavens decided that somehow the rain is a blessing."

She removes her helmet and tucks it under her arm, using her hands to wring out her soaking hair.

"You surprise me, Homura-chan. I wouldn't expect a courtier to be armed and armored, and with a heavy weapon no less."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:34 am 

"The rain is like a Yasuki at a gathering; a blessing, but at what cost? The ground is likely to be more slippery from this, which will make fighting on the ground as well as firing arrows more difficult I imagine, but hopefully that means it'll be more difficult for our enemy too. As for being a courtier?"

Homura shook her head, tutting.

"I'm a Lion Mogami-chan. I may walk the courts, but I still have a warriors heart. I'm trained with the sword, and I will go to war with my brothers and sisters of the Lion. I'm just good at everything" she winked, grinning "as you would expect from the perfect Ikoma, ne? Although I've spent more time with a katana than a nodachi, I'm fully prepared to wield it into battle should circumstance require it."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:41 am 

"So long as I can keep the arrows dry, the only concern is the wind. Should the fletching get wet though, it becomes much more difficult for them to find their way."

She looks up at the narrow roof of the gate house for a moment and then back to Homura.

"I am glad to hear it. I could use a good swordsman here to help keep the walls clear. If you find yourself free when the battle comes, it would be an honor to have you fight with me. Your perfection would inspire many."

Mogami's budoka bark at the peasants and slap at arms, much more hands on and physical with them than Mogami was moments ago. Inside the gatehouse, the remaining groups are rather silent, taking their newfound leaders orders to rest to heart.

"One wonders what other surprises your hands may hold."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:52 am 

"You will find no shortage of good swordsmen Mogami-chan, but I'd be delighted and honoured to stand by the side of my dear friend as we face this scourge on Rokugan. However, I don't think the men and women here need my inspiration, when they are blessed with a woman of your natural skills. Continue to be the great leader I know you will be Mogami-chan."

Homura then stepped closer, and whispered in Mogami's ear "and once we're through this, I'll show you some other things my hands can do" before stepping back with a grin on her face.

D3 LM - some 'inspirational' seduction?: 5d10o10k4 21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:04 pm 

"Your confidence in me is a warmth on this otherwise cold day."

The whispered promise fails to stir anything visibly in Mogami, her thoughts occupied by something else entirely.

"Oh? Are you skilled in origami or painting or the like? I'd certainly love to see something of yours, Homura-chan"

She returns the grin with a slight smile.

"Your armor suits you. It looks..."

Mogami purses her lips as she thinks of a word.

"Hmm. It covers you just right."

----
Resist Temptation, Eti/Will, TN21. Roll: 40

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:39 pm 

Really? Nothing? Kamu damn I miss the Crane sometimes...

Homura chuckled. "Something like that, hai.i'll be happy to show you sometime."

As she was examined she put her hand on her hip, grinning.

"Well, if the armour didn't cover me right it would be useless, ne? Still, I'm happy that it meets your expectations Mogami-chan. If you were not busy with your very important duty I might invite you to prtform a more thorough examination."

She paused to see if that hint would stick before continuing.

"But as it is I have taken your precious time, so it is only right I offer myself as a student to assist in you guiding your unit. If you'll have me that is."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:59 pm 

"Oh, is there something inside the armor you wish me to look at?"

Mogami smiles with her eyes, a soft warm to them. She openly wears a smile as the two women talk.

"Your offer is most welcome. For the moment, my budoka are fine taking charge, though I should give them a break from the cold soon. For now though, I am enjoying spending a precious moment with someone who makes me forget the harsh realities of our time."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:08 pm 

"No it's...don't worry Mogami-chan. I just wished to use your vast expertise" Homura chuckled "and I help you forget the times? Sounds dangerous, giving someone that much trust and influence. Do you really trust me that much? A lesser honourable creature might take advantage" she winked

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:16 pm 

Mogami turns to look directly into Homura's eyes.

"I do trust you. After last night....

Her eyes twinkle a little, some sense of yearning or desire, but it isn't the ferocious, overwhelming need one would see from attraction, but instead something calmer, gentler. Deeper.

"You still owe me that date"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:57 pm 

"Once this war is over, dearest Mogami-chan" Homura approached again, taking advantage of the cover to place a hand on Mogami's cheek "you can hold me to that."

She allowed her hand to linger for a short while, her eyes looking deeply into Mogami's, before moving it away.

"But you have a more important duty at the moment. I will be happy to give you moments of release from the harsh war we shall all face soon."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:03 pm 

Mogami steps out into the rain and closes her eyes.

"Could I remember one thing during the coming storm, may it be the way she looks at me"

She mutters very softly to herself, and then says to Homura

"Shall I show you how I drill them?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:05 pm 

After a few moments the rain seems to stop, as a yellow umbrella popped up over Mogami's head.

"Can't have the commanding officer getting ill before leading us to victory" Homura said with a grin "I'm ready to learn. What do I do?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:13 pm 

Mogami smiles and then dons her helmet.

"Have you practiced the art of Kyujutsu before?"

As the walk to the makeshift range, Mogami tells her budoka that despite the current group of peasants still not having been able to hit a target 3 times in a row, to go swap out for a new group.

"Oh, and you two can stay in for a bit, warm up. Ikoma-san and I have this group."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:26 pm 

"I can tell you that the feathery end of the arrow goes by the string, the pointy end goes into the enemy, and just about how to string a bow. That's the length of my Kyujutsu knowledge, so any more guidance is welcome."

Homura gave the budoka a nod and a smile, stepping a little closer to Mogami so both were under the umbrella.

"Where shall I start?"