It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:08 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: [Day One - Late Afternoon] The Lion of Tomorrow, Today
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:48 pm 

"Heroism mostly comes with expectation. Whether you are the hero or the scion of one." She laughed. Not bitterly. In fact, she seemed cheerful as she continued trying to make her line work, not seeming overly disappointed when Somgai would break the line or take a piece. She was out of her depth there. "Having experience with both, I would advise that it is not all joy and Unicorns."

Glorious Death in battle is never untimely.

Equipment: Daisho, Kimono (functional or exceptional, depending on situation), Finger of Jade (hanging on a necklace around her neck), heavy armor (when appropriate), Fan, Bisento (when appropriate)

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:52 pm 

Matsu Tani wrote:
"Heroism mostly comes with expectation. Whether you are the hero or the scion of one." She laughed. Not bitterly. In fact, she seemed cheerful as she continued trying to make her line work, not seeming overly disappointed when Somgai would break the line or take a piece. She was out of her depth there. "Having experience with both, I would advise that it is not all joy and Unicorns."

"If the young Unicorn I met earlier today is any guide, I believe you may already be saying the word 'joy' when you say Unicorn. He was delightful."

After a few more moves, he sighs contentedly looking at the board. "I must confess, I like the way the green stones appear like a forest on the board. It reminds me of home."

Carries/wears: Biwa, Go set, wakizashi

Spiritually Gifted individuals might see a faint outline of three ghostly tails that aren't quite there attached to Somgai.

Run by GM "YOLO" Lucidicide.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:08 pm 

"The Akodo Mori is the only forest close to home," she mused as she looked down. "My experiences with forests were... a bit more harrowing." She laughed as the game continued.

"So the Unicorn was delightful? I will have to meet him. I've yet to meet one of the Returned children of Shinjo yet."

Equipment: Daisho, Kimono (functional or exceptional, depending on situation), Finger of Jade (hanging on a necklace around her neck), heavy armor (when appropriate), Fan, Bisento (when appropriate)

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:13 pm 

Matsu Tani wrote:
"The Akodo Mori is the only forest close to home," she mused as she looked down. "My experiences with forests were... a bit more harrowing." She laughed as the game continued.

"So the Unicorn was delightful? I will have to meet him. I've yet to meet one of the Returned children of Shinjo yet."

"You seemed more reserved when we first met! You are quite charming when you open up some... though I recommend you not be as open as this shape, here." He points to a collection of her stones. "That sort of thing could get a person into trouble!" He grins broadly.

"You should meet the Unicorn! Or at least this one... but now that I say it, if you can meet a unicorn you should. That would be an adventure. I always imagined you'd find a unicorn in the woods... perhaps that would change your experience of them?"

He suddenly catches himself rambling, smiles sheepishly, and plays another stone.

Spiritually Gifted individuals might see a faint outline of three ghostly tails that aren't quite there attached to Somgai.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:16 pm 

"Opening up is not easy to strangers. But we are not strangers now," she nodded gently. "This," she motioned to the mess that is her part of the board. "Is why I shall never be a true tactician."

Description

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:23 pm 

Kakita Rin wrote:
The Kakita flowed into the proper bows for those present.

"Oh I do not doubt we can learn unsupervised. I am concerned if we could learn the right things though. One cannot call a School a School if not all present are learning the same techniques. I cannot imagine anyone at the Academy not being taught the art of the duel for example."

"Well, no, of course not. Techniques aren't something that could conjured out of thin air," she said in agreement, although she was thinking that the conversation was about learning in general.

"A sensei would teach you about ancestral techniques, as tradition would dictate and would be irreplaceable in that regard. Although, I'd like to think that a school and sensei could teach you much about the past. Could they teach you how to ply your technique in every situation you could come across?"

Character Profile • Art by Joanne Kwan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:26 pm 

Matsu Tani wrote:
"Opening up is not easy to strangers. But we are not strangers now," she nodded gently. "This," she motioned to the mess that is her part of the board. "Is why I shall never be a true tactician."

"Or perhaps it is merely a feint as part of a greater play." Somgai makes a move into the middle of her mess that is clearly not a good move. "One never knows when an opponent may make a mistake."

He shrugs. "Besides, your life is long, but never is longer. Some might have said that the reign of the Steel Chrysanthemum would never come again, and here we are."

A small moment of shock comes over his face as he registers what he said. "That... makes light of things. Apologies, Matsu-sama. I merely wanted to say that you are more than you are right now."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:55 pm 

Tani waved a hand calmly. "You meant nothing harmful by it, do not worry." She placed a stone, clumsily trying to take advantage of that mistake. "But perhaps you are right. I try not to focus too much on what might be or what was. What is now is this Go game. And the contemplations of lovely green stones."

Description

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:36 am 

Mirumoto Wasako wrote:
"Well, no, of course not. Techniques aren't something that could conjured out of thin air," she said in agreement, although she was thinking that the conversation was about learning in general.

"A sensei would teach you about ancestral techniques, as tradition would dictate and would be irreplaceable in that regard. Although, I'd like to think that a school and sensei could teach you much about the past. Could they teach you how to ply your technique in every situation you could come across?"

"The Way of the Crane is applied to every situation we come across, Mirumoto-sama. It is our way of life."

He smiled, starting to take more notice of Tani and Somgai's game than before now.

Status 1.0 * Glory 2.0 * Honour Exceptional

Carries: Daisho, fan. When appropriate: Light Armour and Yumi.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:41 am 

Matsu Tani wrote:
Tani waved a hand calmly. "You meant nothing harmful by it, do not worry." She placed a stone, clumsily trying to take advantage of that mistake. "But perhaps you are right. I try not to focus too much on what might be or what was. What is now is this Go game. And the contemplations of lovely green stones."

Somgai smiles softly. "Yes. The best way to ensure a good future is to take advantage of now... like this!" He slams down a stone in a flourish.

"This is a game that everyone who has defeated me has said: 'Somgai, you need to think 3 or more moves ahead to win.' Do you want to know a secret? I feel like I'm winning so long as I'm not thinking so far ahead! How can I enjoy the move I'm making if I've already made 3 more in my mind?!? Absurd."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:44 am 

Another gentle laugh escaped. She placed a stone as well, every bit as clumsy but with a bit more fervor. "Thinking three moves ahead is a lot of work. And the variables seem to change too often to want to plan more than three."

She looked out to the dojo floor. "I suspect the person who taught me to dance might suggest I think about the next flourish seconds before I do it. But I find dancing more pleasant when I just move in a way that is natural to me."

Description

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:58 am 

Matsu Tani wrote:
Another gentle laugh escaped. She placed a stone as well, every bit as clumsy but with a bit more fervor. "Thinking three moves ahead is a lot of work. And the variables seem to change too often to want to plan more than three."

She looked out to the dojo floor. "I suspect the person who taught me to dance might suggest I think about the next flourish seconds before I do it. But I find dancing more pleasant when I just move in a way that is natural to me."

"Yes! Exactly. The fox in the woods does not plan long ahead; it just lives and is content. I believe this is what your little teacher meant with some of his teachings. The way that is best is the one through the mountain pass... there is no need to prepare to climb the mountain."

"But, I must admit I find the Tao a little bit confusing."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:07 am 

"I'll take your word for it," she nodded. "I've never read the Tao."

Description

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:11 am 

Matsu Tani wrote:
"I'll take your word for it," she nodded. "I've never read the Tao."

His eyes get a little wider, and then he exaggerates the gesture intentionally and looks around the room in a slow, sweeping look.

"People can hear you!" he whispers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:14 am 

Kakita Rin wrote:
"The Way of the Crane is applied to every situation we come across, Mirumoto-sama. It is our way of life."

He smiled, starting to take more notice of Tani and Somgai's game than before now.

"Oh?" Wasako said curiously about the Way of the Crane but it wasn't her place to doubt him, not knowing many Crane herself. "I suppose that's pretty helpful to have as a technique in life. I have to admit that the current situation has me grossly unprepared. You must be familiar with court? What about a court with...everything that's happened? What do you make of all that?"

It wasn't her intention to bring the ugliness of the situation to the forefront, especially after there was enough of it in the courts earlier. However, if the Way of the Crane was so apt, perhaps she could pick his brain on the matter.

Character Profile • Art by Joanne Kwan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:15 am 

Isawa Somgai wrote:

"People can hear you!" he whispers.

She blinked in surprise. "What? Most Lion haven't. Did you not know that?"

Description

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:18 am 

Matsu Tani wrote:
She blinked in surprise. "What? Most Lion haven't. Did you not know that?"

He thinks. "I guess I did." He furrows his brow. "Sometimes I can't keep things straight." He puts a stone down diagonal to another stone he played, as if to emphasize the point.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:23 am 

She shrugged. "Akodo-kami made his opinion on the Tao particularly clear. I am sure there will be a Matsu to break that tradition, but it shall not be me."

Description

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:26 am 

Matsu Tani wrote:
She shrugged. "Akodo-kami made his opinion on the Tao particularly clear. I am sure there will be a Matsu to break that tradition, but it shall not be me."

Somgai looks at the board. "I think we've both learned much from this game. If we stop now, we'll always have the end of it to look forward to."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:28 am 

Mirumoto Wasako wrote:
"Oh?" Wasako said curiously about the Way of the Crane but it wasn't her place to doubt him, not knowing many Crane herself. "I suppose that's pretty helpful to have as a technique in life. I have to admit that the current situation has me grossly unprepared. You must be familiar with court? What about a court with...everything that's happened? What do you make of all that?"

It wasn't her intention to bring the ugliness of the situation to the forefront, especially after there was enough of it in the courts earlier. However, if the Way of the Crane was so apt, perhaps she could pick his brain on the matter.

There was the slightest show of . . . annoyance? Just a flicker and it was gone, On restored as if it had never failed.

"One does not listen to rumour, gossip and the chatter of those that would spread such things, Mirumoto-sama. That way lies panic and ruin. One waits for news through the proper channels. Before that, one could not possibly discuss such matters openly."

The temperature of his voice had ticked down noticeably, yet Crane manners were maintained.

Status 1.0 * Glory 2.0 * Honour Exceptional

Carries: Daisho, fan. When appropriate: Light Armour and Yumi.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next