It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:56 pm

Post subject: [EM3 - Dining Hall] Carp-y Start to the Day [Expecting]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:55 am 

Daisuke was used to doing business over meals. It was how the Crab handled most courtly duties. Make the most efficient use of time to quicklt return to duties. It helped when some were needed to get back to defend against the Great Adversary.

The young Carp usually opted for a simple meal. To not take advantage of the resources of the Lord who operated the castle. After all, there was a vortue in frugality.

He sat, chopsticks in hand, rice and preserved vegetables, with the small luxury of a farm egg. But he didn't break fast yet. He was waiting.

Post subject: Re: [EM3 - Dining Hall] Carp-y Start to the Day [Expecting]
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:23 pm 

Yukarin, used to getting up before the sun while on the long ride, was prompt to the meeting, arriving fresh faced and extremely hungry. Walking in, she bowed twice to Daisuke with a pleasant expression, "Ohaiyo, cousin. You wished to see me?"

Honor: Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:12 pm 

He stood when she arrived, bowing to her in return. "Good morning! Yes, I did. Just to catch up, really. It has been a bit hectic, but I don't need yo tell you that." There was a bit of admiration in his tone. While he fancied himself a good brewer of sake, his immediate family's small production was considered high quality, but...

It was no Golden Carp. He could almost taste it on his tongue but...

He let the thought pass, trying not to immediately pour his own bottle for breakfast.

Plus, shr was someone all Yasuki could aspire to. The profits she had sprarheaded.

"It might be the last quiet moment we get, all things considered. You're well, yes?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:22 pm 

"Quite. A bit of an upset stomach, but that may just be the nerves of having a hostile army coming this way. I think that's one of those things I need to get more used to."

She took a seat, not totally formal but not super cas either.

"We saw the occasional raid or ambush while on the long ride, but not a dedicated army that we saw coming for us. But of course, most Crab are used to having to wait for an enemy to come to them, no?"

carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:29 pm 

"That may be true. Shame there is no Wall here." He relaxed as he sat, pouring a cup of tea for his cousin, before pouring for himself. "A certain level of constant impending doom does make for a healthy worldview." He laughed a little, even if it was a rather morbid joke.

"It may be that we might have to teach the others how to live under that threat."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:44 pm 

"That was something I noted when I wrote the letter to Crab lands last night. I know the bushi we have here are solid, reliable people. And they certainly won't back down. All the better that we have some Hiruma here too. I wonder, though, if they will evacuate with us or choose to stay here..."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:23 am 

"There is honor to be had in holding off an adversary while allowing others time to get to safety. But in terms of the cost of resources, is time worth the blood spilled? Or better to save the blood and move a little faster to fight another day?" He asked without judgement, sitting upright. "To lose reliability with no real gain wouldn't be ideal."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:47 am 

She shook her head, "I am no tactician, certainly. That's why I'm not telling them what to do. I get what you mean about the risk, but they'd know better than me, at least."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:18 am 

"True. It's difficult to not constantly think in terms of logistics. For me, anyway." His voice was in the upper octave of a tenor, warm and bright, as he spoke. His eyes bright, yet always with a calculating glint, as if he always looked to see how he could best make a deal.

"And you're right. Risk taken solely from our point of view takes away the very real on the ground view. It would be like assessing the needs of a granary from the top of a castle, rather than seeing the production in a field."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:30 am 

"Regardless, I make it a point not to argue with people that have biceps bigger than my head unless I have good reason. And I have neither the authority nor tactical acumen to do so in this case, so they can do what they want. I'll handle the politics and backroom logistics either way. With your help, of course."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:25 pm 

He beamed. "I offer you my humble services, whenever you need it, cousin. I have much to learn and would consider it a privilege to work in tandem with you." While he knew he was gifted, it was enough knowledge to know that he knew little. That there was always more to learn.

"Is there anything in particular troubling you?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:33 pm 

"And I have a lot I could learn from you, I suspect. I've not had the chance yet to do anything with the Yasuki school; I was trained on the road with the Ide Traders. I asked some questions about Crab politics and such to my husband, but that's not really on the job training, you know? As to concerns..."

She shrugged softly, "Honestly, I'm mostly just concerned about making it through these troubled times in one piece, and without a traitor on the throne. Sure, it would be nice if, through these struggles, the Clans came to better appreciate what the Crab can do and put up with... so there's that. And I have some control over that. Otherwise, it's larger issues."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:17 am 

"I very much understand that desire. While I don't fear death, I'd rather be around to best help our Clan." There was a chuckle there, more nervous rnergy than anything. "And the lsrger issues, you make anpoint that focusing on what we can control is best. Though it's difficult to have those out of our control always weighing on us."

He exhaled, shaking his head. "All we can do is what we are capable of, right?"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:39 am 

"I like to think not even I know fully what I'm capable of. Perhaps I will surprise myself, for good or ill. Either way, best not to overthink it."

Yukarin ate some rice thoughtfully, "...did you get news as well that the governor is going to make some sort of announcement later?"