It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:57 am

Post subject: Re: [D2 EE] Past Prologue
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:15 am 

"I don't know," Myo-en admits. "I hope my soul isn't stamped that way by war and slaughter, or yours either. But I am not done with those things yet, it seems. They say that a life, or a death, marked by butchery is the thing that sends a soul to be reborn in Toshigoku, but sometimes Duty demands violence. Maybe receiving such a duty is also the working-out of our karma." She casts Wasako an intently curious look, wondering how that sounds to her clanswoman.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:07 pm 

Wasako looked bemused at first before parsing out her thoughts. "You should think with karma that you would become better people with each incarnation...I know I'd like to think so, especially with lifetimes of experience. Yet, I have always wondered what sort of lessons are retained whenever we are born anew, if many of them are forgotten and what remains are habits and ticks as memories..."

She closed her eyes and sighed. "Violence in Duty is unavoidable, especially when demanded. I don't think doing so would be a regression of karma. Perhaps it could be considered just another test, and ultimately your intent is judged, much like all hardships in our lives. Perhaps some are meant to fail. You cannot evaluate karma on peaceful lives alone."

Character Profile • Art by Joanne Kwan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:58 am 

"The more a soul is tested, the more it can progress," Myo-en agrees. "Or regress. Well... it does not feel right to say that a soul can go backward in its tracks. The Wheel turns in one direction. Take another path that doesn't lead forward?"

She ponders this for a few beats, then tosses the coins gently upward and catches them in her fist again. "Do you really think the heavens set tests the soul is never meant to pass, Mirumoto-san?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:18 am 

She nodded in agreement after some consideration. "I suppose you can't go back, no. A soul's journey, even going to lesser or other places, doesn't exactly mean they have any less of a journey than a soul who finds itself in higher standing."

Wasako went quiet regarding the next question and nodded after some consideration. "I think such a thing is possible, in my meagre understanding of the heavens, if we consider what possibilities in our mortal trials. A sole person can never lift a mountain, no matter how many tries they are given. Or we could consider Enlightenment where many souls strive to achieve it in this lifetime but few ever see its true realization. Would this test be something we find ourselves trapped in doing forever or perhaps the test is actually how we move past it?"

Character Profile • Art by Joanne Kwan