It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:56 pm

Post subject: D7 EM - Dust Gets Everywhere
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:59 am 

(Expecting, but open)

The travel from Toshi no Omoidoso to Nikesake was rushed, and filled with palpable dread. The ever present concern of being overtaken by the enemy forces hung over the refugees and flashbacks to the similar experience when they fled from Morikage Toshi was unavoidable.

Iko needed to relax, both her muscles that had been coiled like springs ready to pop, and her mind that was never permitted to rest. She had spent three days without sleep in getting here and she was exhausted.

The bath was just what she needed, and so she sped through the physical cleaning before laying back and relaxing. Her wrapped gear still here, as she hadn't the time to drop it off at the Embassy yet.

Carries: Daisho, Yumi (where appropriate)
Description

Post subject: Re: D7 EM - Dust Gets Everywhere
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:10 am 

Another guest soon joined her, doffing her white clothing in favor of washing herself off. She takes her time with the washing, seeming lost in thought. Or perhaps it just takes a long time - the woman's hair is very long, even for what was expected of a courtier of status.

Finally, she pinned her hair up and joined Iko in the bath, sinking up to her shoulders with a sigh. "Oh... good morning. My apologies for not greeting you sooner."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:17 am 

Her eyes closed as she focused on the heat around her, Iko heard the samurai making her preparations, but didn't turn to her until she was addressed.

"This one was trying to be as unobtrusive as possible, so I take no offense. Are you a resident here or..." Iko opens her eyes and sees a vaguely familiar face.

"Do I know you from somewhere? I swear I do." But without mons, Iko had trouble putting two and two together.

"I am Togashi Iko, Dragon Clan Gunso and duelist."

Description

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:50 am 

Blue eyes focused on Iko more, her expression thoughtful. A hand with 3.667 fingers emeraged from the water and tapped her lips. "Hmm... I know what you mean. I am Yogo Sukima."

"Your given name sounds familiar... Were you perhaps at Kyuden Agasha during winter court three years ago?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:57 am 

And then the penny dropped, Iko remembered the name from that court, although it seemed a lifetime ago now.

"Yogo-sama, please forgive my poor memory, much has happened since that Winter." Iko offered a seated bow. "I was indeed, though at the time I was a Kakita, awaiting my wedding just a few months after the thaw."

"How have you been?"

Description

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:34 am 

"I can imagine so, with how... eventful the Empire has been the last few years," she replied, giving a small smile before lowering her eyes briefly. She looked up again with her On back in place. "That was quite the few weeks back then, though, ne?"

"Ah, well... I could be better. Death in the family has that effect. I'm sure you have much more interesting stories than I, anyway. I take it you've been caught up more in the events of the last few years?"

I should think, since you've been keeping your head down.

Now is not the time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:19 am 

Foot in mouth, fatigue must really be getting to me

"My apologies for your loss Yogo-sama. It's not much comfort I'm sure, but know that the Empire grieves with you." The Dragon bows her head and offers a mumbled prayer, she might have even gotten some of the words right.

"I must admit to having had enough 'interesting times' to last several lifetimes. I envy the simpler life some of our sesnsei and border guards serve. Speaking of interesting, are you enjoying motherhood?"

Description

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:58 pm 

Sukima's mood brightened a little bit at the opportunity to talk about her children.

"It is a comfort to know that. At times like these, there is much to be said for not being alone," she replied, tone kind. "Indeed."

She visibly brightened at the opportunity to talk about her children. "Suzuran and Yoshika are doing well. Suzuran is five now, and I keep thinking about how it will only be a few more years before she leaves for the Phoenix to train. I do worry sometimes about them, though. While most people wouldn't want to tangle with their yojimbo, there are a lot of people around with an interest in taking shots at anyone connected with my family line."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:52 pm 

Thinking about what the Steel Chrysanthemum just did, and Sukima's position in the line of succession, Iko just nodded solemnly.

"If there's anything this one can do to help preserve at least one soul in your line, please let me know. In these uncertain times, all those with true, legitimate claims should be protected." She offered before letting out a long sigh.

"I always wanted to be a mother...but the Fates decided differently. Maybe on my next turn of the wheel."

Description

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:25 pm 

She nodded. "Thank you, Togashi-san. It is good to know that there are people we can trust."

Not that that's true. The problem with the Steel Chrysanthemum isn't that his conclusions are wrong.

She tilted her head to the side. "You don't wish to adopt?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:39 pm 

"I had contemplated such, but I spend so little time at home. Perhaps after the present matter is resolved I should look into it again. I imagine there will be no shortage of orphaned children looking for homes."

Description

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:45 pm 

He had doffed what clothing he wore, and scrubbed as custom required. He slithered into the water with a soft groan of appreciation, basking in the warmth before noticing the two women there, coiling in on himself and sinking as deep into the water as he could, eyes half closed in the bliss of being warm after that long, cold march. "Minna-sama. Excuse my rudeness. Just.....to be warm after so long in the cold muddled my mind."

Carries: Silk clothing, White silk vest that seems to shimmer in the light, several fine bracelets of silver. Travel pack, hunting knife, Yumi (Where Appropriate), Jade Spear (Where Appropriate)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:51 pm 

"Yes... Perhaps you will be united with someone who truly needs you."

Sukima blinked in surprise. "Oh... Good morning, ah... Naga-san. I am Yogo Sukima. Pleased to meet you."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:54 pm 

Iko was taken by surprise by the appearance of the Naga. She had never given much thought to whether they bathed, but apparently they did.

Her voice was stolen by her shock, but she offered the new arrival a partial bow of greeting. She tried to remember his name, from the Temple at Toshi no Omoidoso, but they all looked alike to her, especially without any clothing.

Description

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:06 am 

"I Am The Shakanar. It is a pleasure to meet you Yogo Sukima-sama. And to see Togashi Iko-sama again" He gave a proper half bow, and then just sunk into the hot water, eyes mostly closed. "I feel sorry for The Saravya, who has gone ahead to let Ryuuta-sama and The Tausha know what is happening. While we are not cold-blooded like snakes, it is still miserable to travel in such cold weather." He gave a faint shudder.

Carries: Silk clothing, White silk vest that seems to shimmer in the light, several fine bracelets of silver. Travel pack, hunting knife, Yumi (Where Appropriate), Jade Spear (Where Appropriate)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:08 am 

"Your people are native to the Shinomen, ne? It's a reasonably warm environment from what I understand," she replied with a nod. "I can see why it would be hard to get used to the cold. I must admit to preferring warmer seasons and locales myself."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:14 am 

Iko nods in agreement.

"I've been to the Shinomen twice now over the past few years. It is definitely more temperate than many of the Empire's climates."

Thankfully including our mountains, should keep us safe from reptilian invaders...

Description

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:21 am 

"The Shinomen Mori is where the rememnants of our Civilization now resides yes. It once stretched across the length of the lands that now make up your Empire, though they were....different then." he looked thoughtful a moment. "Once we had cities under the sea, and colonies dotting these lands. But time grinds on, and they were first lost in war, then when Omens pointed that our battle still lay far in the future, we withdrew from the world, sleeping for century upon century. The creatures that once were food grew and learned to talk and use tools. Humans came, and spread, and formed a great civilization. We awoke to a very different world, and more.....violent minds then my own took the reigns, and made foolish decisions." He shook his head with sorrow. "There was a great loss of life on both sides that could have been prevented by talking."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:47 am 

"War is the last resort of failed diplomacy." Iko quoted sadly for she had been part of that war and had thought long and hard about the role she played, still occasionally seeing the snake children she butchered in her dreams.

"Although I'm sure Leadership might have it listed as a negotiation tool instead." She couldn't resist a small jab at the warlike nature of their hosts.

Description

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:33 am 

Sukima nodded, expression solemn as Iko made her feelings about it known. "I tend to agree. Of course, there are reasons, as well, but those who argue for them don't tend to take into account the smaller toll."