It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:41 am

Post subject: Aftermath [day 8, LE, a distance from Nikesake]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:09 am 

A long day. This was a long damn day. A ride past an army. Fighting murderous spirits. Closing the portal, and somehow not all of them were felled at Kyuden Asako. Izumi had found a place to rest, a place where Tani sat watching.

And still the tears wouldn't get out of her damn eyes.

At the least, she was otherwise calm and stoic. Taking deep breaths. Trying to calm herself in any possible way she could. She had prepared to die. To allow Matsu Takeshi's daughter to claim an honorable death.

But when the time came, she chose duty instead. And still she was here.

Glorious Death in battle is never untimely.

Equipment: Daisho, Kimono (functional or exceptional, depending on situation), Finger of Jade (hanging on a necklace around her neck), heavy armor (when appropriate), Fan, Bisento (when appropriate)

Description

Post subject: Re: Aftermath [day 8, LE, a distance from Nikesake]
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:19 am 

Setsuna perched on a rock with a perfect viewing of the catnapping Ikumi. Even asleep, she was still kind of creepy because she made Setsuna feel some things they weren't familiar with.

"A mask would help with your tears," Setsuna remarked. They shrugged. "Though I suppose appearance is not of our concern for the time being."

Typically Carries: Daisho, Jitte, Fan, Personal Seal, Umbrella

DECEASED as of Day 11, Late Afternoon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:22 am 

"It would be better if they just stopped," she sighed gently. "But for tonight it doesn't matter." She looked back to Izumi, then to Setsuna. "We bled together and I didn't even get your name. I'm Matsu Tani. Nikutai of the First Matsu Army and daughter of... of Matsu Takeshi." She'd been so used to obscuring his name to keep from thinking about him. And somehow, after all they'd been through. It didn't feel like it mattered.

Equipment: Daisho, Kimono (functional or exceptional, depending on situation), Finger of Jade (hanging on a necklace around her neck), heavy armor (when appropriate), Fan, Bisento (when appropriate)

Description

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:26 am 

"It would be better if we had all lived, or by the kami, never had to go in the first place." Setsuna sighed. "We do not get to live by what is best for us."

The Bayushi shrugged. "Setsuna. Funny to know my name wouldn't have been remembered if I had died. I had spent so much effort longing for recognition.".

A pause. "You knew all of the others, right? I don't even know much about them but I feel closer to them than many others." Setsuna glanced at the Kitsu daimyo.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:32 am 

"Most." She nodded. "Akodo-San and I had never spoken. Seppun-sama in passing at best." She sighed. "Homura-San was a friend. Maybe my best friend." She closed her fist a moment, before stretching it open. The tears seemed to dry a bit. "I suppose it least, we can consider where we go from here. I hadn't exactly made plans past today."

Description

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:40 am 

"Really? I have my plans, but they have been constantly delayed by this war." Setsuna shrugged. "I severely underestimated how this would go. I'm sorry that your close friend. That's not easy."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:43 am 

"I've lost friends before. I expect I'll lose friends again." She took a breath. "Loss is a thing we accept as samurai, right? Three feet from death. I thought that today my destiny was to meet Meido. Destiny seems to have other plans."

She smirked. "Mind, it's not exactly heartening to get told by ever Kitsu who stares at you funny that you are supposed to be amazing. And I'm sure this whole business will do nothing to make that less pronounced."

Description

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:56 am 

"And I thought I'd be unstoppable and yet I nearly died twice." Setsuna looked over at the Kitsu again. First she had saved their life, then Setsuna theirs. Did that make them even?

"The Kitsu told you that specifically? I can't imagine a Soshi ever doing that." To mention the Yogo wasn't even worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:58 am 

"Something about staring into people's souls. It's a thing the Kitsu can do. I don't pretend to understand it. But as long as it ultimately serves the Empire... or at least the Lion, I suppose I'll keep fighting to see whatever I am heading towards." She shook her head.

"Enough about that for now, I think. I'd ask if you play an instrument, but this isn't exactly the time or place. What do you do when not fighting to close an evil portal?"

Description

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:07 am 

"They can stare into our souls, huh?" Setsuna, once again, looked at the sleeping kitten, sleeping Lion. That was definitely more creepy, and not in the way that made Setsuna feel funny inside.

"I don't waste my time on instruments, at least of the musical variety." Setsuna held up their hands. "I can work with tools, certainly, including the blade."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:42 pm 

"Tools, hm?" She tilted her head, but left it alone. Sometimes when a Scorpion said something, it was better to just not ask clarifying questions. "It sounds like you spend a great deal focusing on your duty, then. Such focus is admirable."

Description

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:38 pm 

"Don't make me out to be so perfect. I do what needs to be done only some of the time." Setsuna sighed. "Maybe I should have spend more time with the blade instead."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:45 pm 

"You did what needed to be done when it needed to be done." She shrugged. "And those spirits weren't exactly easy to hit. If I had been more self preserving, I doubt my swings would have connected as often as they did."

She smirked. "And hey, if you feel you still need more practice, you have time now."

Description

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:59 pm 

"I was more focused on keeping the Seppun alive. I don't know why I was," Setsuna admitted, "I felt it was my duty? What good it did at the end, but I suppose she had to reach that point to help us."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:09 pm 

"It took all of us to finish this. We would not have succeeded had you not protected Seppun-sama." She took a breath. "And thanks to that, the Steel Chrysanthemum won't have more support from that Kami-damned realm. Part of me wishes I could see the look on his face when he finds out his best place for reinforcements just got cut off." Impossibly, after all this, she let out a laugh.

Description

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:12 pm 

"I wouldn't be so sure. Stranger things have happened." Setsuna then shrugged. "But I admit, we've slowed their advance considerably."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:13 pm 

"I grant you that." She nodded. "I am trying to be optimistic, I'll admit. O figure it is a good personal reward for living past what I thought would be my last day."

Description

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:01 pm 

"You keep saying that." Setsuna tilted their head. "Were you hoping it would be someone else who would be sitting here with me now? Still are, perhaps?"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:37 pm 

"Hoping?" She considered. "No, I don't think so. All I have ever hoped is that my actions make my father proud. If my goal was to die, I would have leapt at the chance before Akodo-San could." She took a breath. "Maybe it was selfish. But I thought if i pushed forward, i might still somehow be of use to Izumi-sama. But I have had six days to prepare myself mentally for this. I wrote a death haiku this morning, even. I suppose I'll be ripping that up first thing when I get back to Nikesake."

Description

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:17 pm 

"We might need it yet," Setsuna muttered. They looked around for any signs of their foe. "We'll have to make sure she gets back sooner than us, at the very least."