It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:20 pm

Post subject: [D9 EA] Two Scorpions and a tea pot
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:30 am 

Chen had left a note outside the room of one of his fellow scorpions. He waited in a corner of a tea house one of those corners that was just one step away from a private room at the right time of day. He arrived and bowed just a touch too deeply at the proprietor knocking his head on the bar before finding his seat.

He waited to order any tea until after his guest arrived.

When appropriate: Light Armor, Yumi

Profile Mask

Post subject: Re: [D9 EA] Two Scorpions and a tea pot
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:14 pm 

Some few minutes later Bayushi Degarashi arrived, scanning the teahouse for the one who'd invited him out to talk. As soon as he spotted Chen, he nodded, then made his way carefully over to where the outwardly bumbling Scorpion sat.

Once he was closer to the place Chen had chosen, he actually face s proper bow. "Konnichiwa, Chen-sama. Corner spot with a view of the door. Very Scorpion friendly spot you've chosen."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:37 am 

Chen bows his head in greeting "Good afternoon Bayushi-san, Glad you accepted my invitation." he chuckled slightly at the comment about their seating but it held little mirth. "Yes well, stereotypes all have a kernal of truth to them no?" he asked whle motioning for Degarashi to sit with him.

He then motioned for a server to bring them some tea "How has the day found you so far? It seems you aren't suffering too much from last night's activities."

Profile Mask

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:48 am 

Degarashi carefully took his seat, regarding Chen coolly. "Ah, yes, well, I availed myself of the baths shortly after, so I did not want for water, and was provided ample exercise to purge the drink from my system thereafter." Unlike in other instances of such speech, this involved no blush or sense of timidity. "How did you fare? I quite lost track of you after I left."

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:28 am 

"Well enough. I'd had somewhat less than the rest of you, certainly less than you and Yogo-san."

He paused briefly "You don't think much of me do you?" he asked bluntly meeting Degarashi's eyes with his own not much was there at the moment just a cold calculation.

Profile Mask

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:33 am 

Surprisingly, the directness of the question seemed to soften Degarashi's demeanor, just a hair. "I don't think much of your act, it has little to nothing to do with you personally. Understand that I am a Butei of the Shosuro. I can appreciate putting on the airs of one who is less than the truth of the one portraying them, but my craft was drilled ruthlessly into me by an endlessly ruthless sensei. To see someone play a role without a certain level of finesse causes me some significant," he paused, searching for the right word. "Displeasure."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:40 am 

Chen smirked a little as the servant brought an poured them both some tea "Ah here I thought I was doing ok." he said after she had retreated away to the main area of the tea house

"Though I only studied with the Butei for a few weeks learning how to obscure my true nature. So I'm not surprised a dedicated student of theirs finds my performance lacking. I can understand displeasure at watching someone butcher a craft you have dedicated your life to."

Profile Mask

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:07 am 

"I'm sure you can. Imagine if you were watching me on the field of battle, wielding a sword in one hand and only ever attacking from the front. I'm certain you'd feel the same."

Relaxing his posture slightly, Degarashi began making gestures with his hands to assist in his expansion. "Early instruction in the arts we study are necessarily exaggerated, to allow the untrained to follow along without significant error. But, over time, we change from a more overt understanding to one that is necessarily covert. It's a much later principle."

Fluff Sleight of Hand: 5d10o10k3 17

As he finishes up, Degarashi moves an empty tea cup to rest on his sleeve, right before lifting his arm and 'spilling' it.

"Kuso!" He caught the cup before it rolled too far, then handed it calmly to Chen.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:34 am 

Chen nodded at the display understanding what Degarashi was saying "I suppose that it never hurts to make my little act even more difficult to see through. It would only be more suspicious if I over acted." he paused taking a sip of his tea "and Bayushi-san it wouldn't be your blade work that frustrated me. My time with the Bayushi did not span even the majority of my tute-Ah!" he said as he set the cup down at just the wrong angle causing it to slip and fall over though he grabbed t before it caused too much damage.

"I do not lack the physical skills but simply the knowledge. Perhaps you can help bridge that gap?" he asked with a slight eyebrow raise.

-----------------------------------
D9 fluff slight of hand roll: 6d10o10k4 27

Profile Mask

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:02 pm 

Degarashi withdrew his fan and lightly tapped it on the inside of his wrist, a subtle way to praise the improved display. "Not bad, not bad. And I would certainly be willing to assist in providing any knowledge I posses that could aid you in your endeavors. Improving the outward displays of another Scorpion can only help to serve us all in the long term, ne?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:24 am 

"Hai Bayushi-San, when we work together what strengthens one of us strengthens all." He said refilling his tea cup and taking a sip.

"So how long have you been a butei? You have the face for it." He commented knowing a blank canvas was one easily transformed.

Profile Mask

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:09 am 

"I've only been active for the better part of three years. My gempukku ceremony was heavily delayed by my sensei who felt it necessary that I grasp the true ideals of the Butei firmly before even attempting to leave her care."

Degarashi leaned back, meeting Chen's eyes very carefully as he gestured to the veil over his face. "You can plainly see the reason for her suspicions, yes?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:23 pm 

Degarashi's eyes met his and despite Chen's pleasant expression his eyes were cold with little emotion expressed in them "Well if word on the street is anything to go by it seems the extra teaching did well by you. Many of the refugees still talk about the performance you pit on in the last town. Sad to have missed it."

Profile Mask

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:00 pm 

"Ah, yes, a performance truly destined to be overshadowed by a Kashiwagi Special. Not a wholly terrible fate in the grand scheme of things, all told." He casually rolled a shoulder. "I understand there were plenty who appreciated the humor, but I'm certain I stepped on a fair share of toes with some of my humor. Kashiwagi-sama announcing his own play so close to my show seems to have removed the consequences of my more irreverent tales"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:15 am 

Chen nodded "Well a comedy that offends no one is a poor comedy indeed. I've always thought the best comedy plays off of our darkness. But some people can't handle seeing that darkness or it offends them that you point it out. I'd say you aren't doing it right if at least one person doesn't want to kill you after a performance."

"As for the Phoenix's play I believe I'll be trying my hand at playing some music for the production."

Profile Mask

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:20 am 

"I may have been issued threats of death over my art before but my correspondence gets so routinely mixed up it's difficult to know how often." Degarashi took a brief sip of his tea. "I've been asked to play some manner of evil warlock, whatever that entails."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:33 am 

"Well you'll likely be evil and I imagine be some sort of magician." Chen replied dryly "I thought of trying my hand at acting in the thing but figured I'd leave it to the professionals." He quipped with a small smirk.

Profile Mask

Last edited by Bayushi Chen on Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:40 am 

"It confers a rather unique set of skills and opportunities, but isn't for everyone. I shall be quite amused, however, if the audience sides with the villain over the star actress." Degarashi returns the smirk quietly. "Tell me, insofar as you will, what manner of service you ultimately took up, Chen-san."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:55 am 

"Well Degarashi-san I like all samurai take up whatever service my lord bids me as is my duty." He said before taking a drink of tea as he set his cup down he gave Degarashi a significant look "I will tell you Degarashi-san I too trained with the Shosuro but as I said I am no actor." To anyone but a scorpion this would make little sense but those that know the lesser known (at least publically) school of the should would know exactly what he meant.

Profile Mask

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:05 am 

Knowing the more secretive purpose of the Shosuro, having a measure of that training himself, told Degarashi everything he needed to know. "I see. Well, ours are skills looked down upon in recent years, but recent events are likely to create certain necessities once more." He tapped his tea cup idly with his finger. "What do you think of this morning's announcement?"