It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 3:27 pm

Post subject: D7LM, Getting Settled (Open)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:20 pm 

After being greeted by the Governor and getting a bit of information from other sources, Kasuga Seitouna finds his way to a decent enough inn that catered to such itinerant types as himself. He dickers for a room, gets what he wants, and gets a wash in what amounts to a large barrel--Better than a saltwater scrub on a pitching deck, he thinks--after which he gets tea--"And steep it twice as long as normal, please"--and a bit to eat.

Around the food, and amid the tea, Seitouna lays out parchment and takes up charcoal to scribe out notes since he was last able.

(Walls of text incoming.)

Thinking * Speaking Merenae * Speaking Thrane
Generally wears decent kimono & sandals, jitte, wakizashi
Wears extravagant kimono & sandals and wakizashi at court
Almost always has paper and something to write with
Public Profile

Post subject: Re: D7LM, Getting Settled (Open)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:25 pm 

Quote:
I had occasion to see my armorer friend in performance later that day. Evidently, Bayushi Degarashi is an adept of rakugo; he certainly showed himself so today, putting on six separate scenes. In the first, he pointed at the fun and adventures of married life among the Crab, capturing the boisterousness and love of life that those who face southwest enjoy; in the second, he reminded us all that even those who look down from on high can miss things in front of them, which is a useful reminder in such times as these and in all times. In the third, he seemed to reiterate the point, reminding all in the audience that they need to attend to what faces them in the present to be able to get to the longer term through an Akodo's simple step away from a falling rock; in the fourth, he showed the proper use of a fan, and involved the audience, as well. It was a daring move that I do not think anyone anticipated.

The fifth scene returned to more normal performance, though, turning once again to married life and recalling to mind that not all unions are sanguine. The comments embedded in it about the unreliability of narration were also noteworthy; you who read this now have it from a witness, but be careful in telling it to others, eh?

The final performance deserved more attention than circumstances permitted, though the circumstances are perhaps what demanded that attention. In it, Bayushi-san described to his eager audience a bed of flowers that included chrysanthemums. Of them, one seemed to sap the strength of the flowers about it, taking their beauty for its own. Another sheltered yet other flowers behind it, enduring the torments of the first to protect the rest and showing the scars and blemishes of doing so. And it was perfect.

After the show, I took some time to compose myself, returning to a tea shop that had been abandoned in advance of evacuation. A most companionable and accessible Mirumoto, Wasako by name, joined me there, and we took tea together and talked. An honest, open woman, she seemed--much as had been the case with Akodo Touki, with whom I had spoken there the previous day--not to be eager for glory, but only to serve. I believe both of them, as it happens, and I wish them well in their endeavors; though they do not seek it, I believe glory will come to them, and I will have known them in the "when" of which some speak. And it was pleasant to speak of metaphor and untangling meanings with a Dragon, truly.

He pauses, orders another pot of tea, and (Edited here onward) shuffles his papers together, putting them in some semblance of order. And he relaxes, considering what to do and where to go next.

Thinking * Speaking Merenae * Speaking Thrane
Generally wears decent kimono & sandals, jitte, wakizashi
Wears extravagant kimono & sandals and wakizashi at court
Almost always has paper and something to write with
Public Profile