It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:45 am

Post subject: [D12 EA] - Imperial Lo Mein (Ask first before hopping in)
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:58 pm 

Mari had been doing what she'd done several times in the last few days, giving out rice. It didn't often net her tips. The refugees didn't actually have much, but well wishes meant future work, so it wasn't like she was about to complain. However, she'd managed to scrounge together a zeni or two, and a hot meal seemed like a pleasant idea.

So she'd made her way into an inn that wasn't 'too' far above her station in life, the sort of place that would serve a ronin and settled into an open table. It was fairly busy with those able to still afford food in town, which meant it was very likely someone would be asked to join her at the seat, but she didn't mind that much. Perhaps they'd be someone interesting...

Description, Character Image

Post subject: Re: [D12 EA] - Imperial Lo Mein (Ask first before hopping in
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:10 pm 

"Konnichiwaaaaa!" Says a sillhouette making a shadow over Mei while greeting quite extensively, "Seppun Horonigai-desu. Hajime mashite. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!"

"May I sit?" She sits while asking.

Gear: daisho, another classy fan, another extravagant furisode (or plain kimono and hakama), silk umbrella, jade obi dome (pendant), golden kushi kanzashi (head comb).
Duty/Outside: Armor Up!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:34 pm 

That accent. Fuck. She fought the urge to twitch when the shadow of an imperial slipped in behind and approached for a seat. Bowing helped. It always helped conceal reactions as one breathed in and out. "Of course, Seppun-no kimi. I would be grateful for your company. This one is called Mari."

She'd seen this woman around. It was literally impossible to miss her in the past, and with the Imperial's almost legendary temper and her feud with at least one Unicorn, it would have been nigh unheard of to have missed at least a few of her antics. It was equally hard to miss that, barring the governor of the province or the Kitsu Daimyo and Imperial Advisor in their closeted spaces, she was the highest status person even among the other Imperials that she'd encounter, so she went for a really old form suffix, something you'd reserve for the ladies of the court. Hopefully that'd butter her up a little.

She pointedly didn't rise until given leave.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:45 pm 

"Un! Mari-san." The honorifics the Ronin offered made wonders to the Seppun's ears.

"I've heard they serve a delicious noodle at this inn. ne! I'm quite excited to taste it." Horonigai starts up the conversation.

Gear: daisho, another classy fan, another extravagant furisode (or plain kimono and hakama), silk umbrella, jade obi dome (pendant), golden kushi kanzashi (head comb).

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:50 pm 

Given leave to speak, she rose carefully, keeping her eyes not quite on the other woman. Sure, she seemed pleasant enough in general conversation, but she'd seen how fast that could turn. "Ah yes. I had heard much the same. And occasionally, it is good to splurge a little, especially if you have reason to suspect there may be marches in the next few days." Because if the Chrysanthemum was really about to march south, the armies here would either follow or transport the refugees to a more appropriate community. Toshi Ranbo came to mind.

Wasn't that where the Seppun was marshalling? "Easier to march on a full stomach when it comes to that."

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 10:58 pm 

She nods to that. "Un! I also trai every day, so, a good noodle is not that much of an excess. The mochi, though..." Horonigai smiles, thinking on the sweets.

Seeing that pltes would be served soon, and mentions, "If we get troops coming in from Toshi Ranbo, I suppose a march south would be the best course of action, hai."

The Seppun takes a moment to measure Mari a bit with a polite sideglance. "Mari-san fights for the Governor?"

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:08 pm 

She was following that accent, but it was ... fuck if she knew it well. The girl practically screamed 'I live all my life around Cranes and Imperials' didn't she? Mari's own accent was a bit more blunt, crude by any standard, like she'd come out of the south and the backwoods... which was probably because she had, for all of her politeness, come from some Podunk village in a forest somewhere.

"I am not under a long-term retainer, but yes. I have served in the defense of the city. I am, however, a shugenja of water and earth, so I am usually tasked with the reserves and healers." She glanced back towards the door and shrugged. "I do not yet know what is coming, but I think being prepared seems wise. I doubt that most will remain here in Nikesake for much longer if the fighting ceases."

Seriously, the town couldn't take it.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:41 am 

Foos arrives. The delicious steaminess coming out from the bowls call out to their appetite. Horonigai gets a pair of chopsticks. "I know an Isawa that also is an earth and water shugenja, I guess. Isawa Hachi-san. A very nice man. He's more into earth than water. I am not very keen into affairs with the kami, shitsurei shimasu, ne! Does that happen to Mari-san as well?"

She shrugs and and gets the bowl nearer. "I guess it would be good to have a blessed soul like you around if there's a march somewhere, hai."

Horonigai puts hands together in prayer. "Itadakimaaasu!"

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 1:55 am 

"I believe that I may have seen this man around, though we haven't spoken," she said as the soup was brought out. She'd definitely seen Hachi at some point, though she hadn't been able to speak with him at any length like she had Miwako or the young mute fellow. "But his path is similar to mine if that is what he said. I am studied in Earth, and have found that I have at least a little gift with the water kami, though the latter are far more valuable at this time."

She clapped, reciting the same blessing over her food and breathing in the heady aroma, adding just a bit of spice to it. "When the army marches, so long as they have need of me, I will come along with." There would be far greater opportunity there than otherwise. "You are ... a bushi, yes sama?"

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:04 am 

Horonigai nods to the question, "Un! Miharu from the Seppun Guest Home Dojo."

She elegantly slurps some noodles and chews on it. Smiling on the flavor she sighs in joy, complimenting the cook –– even if he/she wasn't there. "Oishii-desu~"

Looking back to Mari she asks, smiling with her eyes from the taste the food. "Ne! Has Mari-san traveled a lot, or is she from these areas?"

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:21 am 

Give her a second... ok, got it. Seppun Miharu, which made her an Imperial Legionnaire, and a fairly high ranking one at that from the way that other deferred to her. She was also kind of a ball of walking energy wasn't she? Mari listened quietly while she ate her noodles with... well, a lot less elegance, but she wasn't making a mess. She was damned hungry.

Shaking her head after swallowing, she piped up. "I've only recently come to these lands. My travels took me across the breadth of the southern lands, below Beiden, in times past, and I've traveled more recently into Lion lands, coming first from Plum Blossom Pass far to the west." Yep, definitely still not calling it Iuchi Pass.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:39 pm 

"Sodesuka!" She replies, quite interested in the talk. "So you've been to Suzume lands?"

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:59 pm 

"I used to live at times not far from them. So, yes, I've spent some time among the Suzume lands, though not that often." A nod followed. "It was always a pleasant place the few times I had the chance to visit. Why do you ask?"

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:09 am 

"Eto. It is the furthermost place I've been south so far. Mari-san mentioned Beiden, so I figured that could have been an area to pay a visit. I really enjoy there. Although I didn't at the begining. Now, I'm even feeling a bit nostalgic of the place."

Horonigai inhales the aroma of the food and says. "The Golden Sun plains is a beautiful place to look at when having some good noodles."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:50 am 

"The lands of the minor clans, where three stand so close together, are a simple place, full of simple beauty," she said, ignoring the fact that she was still referring to the Fox lands as Fox in the first place. "They aren't the cosmopolitan centers of the empire and the peasants and samurai live basic, fulfilled lives. I... miss that about those parts of the empire."

They were also forgotten places by and large.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 3:21 am 

Horonigai nods and smiles. "It is good to have those areas safeguarded, hai. But, being able to bring some of the benefits of the bigger cities is a blessing. It balances things a bit, I would say, neh!"

She slurps a bit more of the noodle. "So, how come one holy woman is not into a Clan. I'm sure you must have received invitations. Am I wrong?"

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:03 am 

"Constantly since arriving in the city, or hints and intimations that the clans would have an interest in me. Occasionally, I have received offers in the more recent past since I entered Musha Shugyo, but when I explain that I am on a warrior's pilgrimage, they have all been understanding." She liked to assume that the Scorpion might not have cared, but she hadn't been a ronin in their lands.

"When my pilgrimage ends, I will return to my lord."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:06 am 

"Musha shugyo neeeh..." Horonigai stops to think about the traditional sabbatical many samurai endure to find further enlightenment and purpose –- or hide one's shameful deeds. "How has it been so far?"

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:10 am 

She closed her eyes. Chewing slowly on the noodles and swallowing after she was sure of herself, but not before, she nodded. Yes, she thought that she had an idea of how to reply to this.

"It has been informative in the most basic of senses. I have not seen much of the empire since, but I have seen through new eyes since the change in the state of my life. The fullness of that truth eludes me still, but a pilgrimage is never a short thing."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 4:58 am 

The Seppun observes the evasiveness and assumes there's something Mai prefers to leave unspoken. Yet, she pushes a little bit further. Curious herself about the ceremony.

"How long has it been –– when do you plan to return?"