It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:08 pm

Post subject: [D9 - EE] Wolfing Down Dinner (Closed)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:33 pm 

Mari had had a message brought to the Embassy to relay the invitation. It was fairly obvious that it wasn't something that she did often. The calligraphy had been neat and tidy, but the process had been a little more inelegant than necessary. Sending letters wasn't really something she did often in her line of work. But still, she could at least make an effort. After all, the woman had been kind enough to extend the offer.

She'd made the arrangements for dinner to be prepared, but at first just the tea was set out. The food would be brought in when the guest arrived. If she wanted to insist on paying, she could, though if not? Well, the ronin had already made arrangements. She'd been paid well by the Moto after all.

For now, wearing the cleaner and neater of her two kimonos, she sat and waited amiably, curious if she'd actually show. She was... no, all of her clan she'd met so far were a little unusual.

Description, Character Image

Post subject: Re: [D9 - EE] Wolfing Down Dinner (Closed)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:18 pm 

It had been a busy enough afternoon, but soon enough, Poemu arrived. She announced herself with a small scratch at the door before she entered. Spotting Mari, the finely dressed Agasha smiled before she gave a polite bow, again a bit lower than Mari was likely used to, especially from an Ambassador.

"Mari-san, konnichi-wa. What a lovely place you've found! May I join you at the table?" Her voice was soft, but tinged just barely with excitement.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:28 pm 

She managed not to blink. She'd caught that hint of excitement, and it admittedly did surprise her that this woman was that interested in meeting her. Returning the bow low, she rose and offered a smile. "Please, Agasha-sama, I would be honored if you would join me. I have a pot of tea prepared though if you wish sake it can be brought. The food should come in due course."

As she rose from the bow, she regarded the woman with curious interest. "I hope the day has at least found you well. It has been... less chaotic than the last two days, I think." In some ways, if not others.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:31 pm 

Poemu closed the door behind her and moved to sit in seiza at the table, where things had been set up for her. "In many ways, hai. I suppose you could say it has not gone badly at least. I have not heard of any incidents so far, but one never knows what goes on beyond one's immediate surroundings."

All that talk aside, Poemu smiled again softly. "So! What is it that Mari-san has ordered for us today?"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:43 pm 

She picked up very quickly that the Agasha didn't seem interested in speaking about what was going on out there. Mari smiled, more than happy to oblige that unstated request and focus their attention on more pleasant topics. The less said of Seppun Kato and other worries? The better. After all, it was Poemu she was more curious about.

She began to pour carefully while they spoke. "Indeed. I had thought perhaps Agasha-sama would appreciate tonkatsu and some sashimi as an appetizer? The fare here is a bit on the humble side, but a friend of mine introduced me to it, and I find the air here comfortable." Friend? yes, the Kasuga had insisted she call him that, o she could do so again here. "I hope that would be to your liking."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:52 pm 

She gave a small nod. "Sashimi? Ah, that is a preparation of fish, hai? I think I had that once during Winter Court. And tonkatsu is a sauce I believe... neither are very common in Miya or Agasha lands. This should be a new experience indeed, arigato."

Poemu looked quite curious indeed. She had hoped she had remembered the foods right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:01 am 

She nodded quickly. "More or less. Tonkatsu can refer to the meat dish, and the sauce that is used on it, and Sashimi is just the way that the fish is prepared. It will mostly be river fish, though I'm told that they have some salmon. I think you will like it, regardless," she said, finishing pouring the tea before glancing once at the door and back at the Agasha.

"Before they come though, you... really didn't have to dress in such fine attire for me. You look lovely tonight." she added, clearing her throat a little. Of course the woman dressed well. At her station, she had the money to do so at her beck and call. "Did you wish some sake be brought by chance?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:15 am 

Meat dish. "Ah, perhaps some chicken or pheasant as well as the fish then? Wonderful." She had heard the Unicorn had returned with red meat dishes, but it never crossed her mind that such things would be served in Lion lands of all places.

She gave a soft laugh into her sleeve at the comment, smiling brightly, if not a tad sheepishly. "This is how I always dress Mari-san. I hope it is not TOO formal. I do have some more simple traveling clothes I could go change into..."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:24 am 

She shook her head. "Actually, it's a pork dish, but it is going to taste similar to chicken, I find." The way that it was breaded and fried, it was generally a pretty light flavor that the sauce concealed. When no sake was requested, she didn't press again, mentally filling away each detail for future reference. It wasn't that she was always quite so calculating, but filing away every bit, every scrap was important in survival, even at pleasant times like this.

"Mmmm? Oh, I am terribly sorry, Agasha-sama. I have to remember. There are requirements of one of your station. Still, the kimono is lovely. Perhaps one of these days, I might see you in humbler attire. I'm sure you'd still outshine me." As she spoke, there was a gentle rap at the door to say that appetizers were being brought.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:29 am 

Pork. It was a very bold thing indeed. There were times the Dragon had 'mountain tuna' certainly, but pork? After a moment's thought, she spoke up with reluctance. "Ano... Mari-san, if it's all right, I would rather not have a pork dish. I understand that certain cultural norms must be broken when living on one's own, but like most of the Great Clans, I do not eat any meat besides fish and fowl."

The rest was something she could address in a moment, but she didn't want to bury her objection. She was sympathetic to the ronin, but there were certain lines she wouldn't cross.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:51 am 

The door began to open and she looked in the direction of the hiemin before speaking up. "Ano, excuse me. Please bring an order of Oyako Don to go with the Tonkatsu. You may wait on the Tonkatsu for me until the other order is ready." The heimin at first looked a bit surprised and then smiled in pleasure. it meant more to purchase after all. A murmured 'of course samurai' and they slipped in to put out an order of sashimi with a bow before leaving.

She turned her attention back to the Agasha and smiled quietly. "That just means more of the tonkatsu for me. I sometimes forget not everyone accepts that dish, Agasha-sama." She was taken a bit by surprise and ... well, no she hadn't planned to purchase the extra but it wasn't like she could back out now was it? No, no, everything was fine. She really did need to remember that some of the more ... rustic habits she had picked up in the last years of her life weren't shared. "Please, forgive my error."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:06 am 

Poemu usually took things at face value, but in this case, she could tell Mari was trying to make her feel better. Rather than seem angry or disappointed in not being told, Poemu flushed at her own actions, bowing in her seated position. "It is I that should apologize Mari-san. The Dragon have, from time to time, needed to resort to such things. The thought is truly appreciated. I will cover the cost of the dish for you, I insist."

Her words showed apology and worry over anything else. It was clear that she was more down on herself than Mari at all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:12 am 

She reached up and scratched at the back of her head, fighting the urge to refuse. But she didn't want to offend what was clearly a simple apology. She let herself laugh a tiny bit and sigh. Usually she was better at a lie than that. Smiling, she sagged a little, half defeated. "You, Agasha-sama, are the picture of charity. I don't deserve that," she said, smiling at her. "I assure you that I can afford it, but if you insist... I would not feel right in denying you that opportunity." She remembered enough to remember that money was almost never treated as a gift. No three refusals.

"But please, no more talk of money. We are here o enjoy ourselves, and if we are to have a feast I want you to enjoy it, -sama," she said, leaning against the table a little. "I do apologize though. On the road, and in my old home... well, we lived rather rustic lives, and sometimes you can't be too picky on the road. I picked up a taste when I passed through Unicorn lands towards the Lion."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:17 am 

Poemu's politeness had wanted her to say that she did not doubt Mari's ability, but with the ronin wishing to move on, she just let the matter drop with a smile. She also wished to ask more about Mari's travels, but... well, again, ronin. And on a musha shugyo at that.

"I am most curious as to the sashimi truth told." She nodded firmly. "I have only had it once if I am remembering rightly. Living and training so far from the sea, let alone any large rivers or lakes, has meant that fresh fish is something I have not had great chance to indulge in."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:26 am 

"It's hard to get in the mountains, I can only imagine. I had thought to visit Dragon lands one day, and I will have to remember such... Here, though, river caught fish is a not uncommon thing." It carried a little price, but nothing too horrible, though give it a week with all the refugees... "You can't get much good fish deep in Unicorn lands, but south of Beiden the river is strong and the fish are plentiful so close to the forests."

There was a wistful side to it as she offered some of the sashimi to the diplomat, smiling at her. "Forgive me for asking, but you have done little travel from your lands, have you?" She might be willing to share a few tales. Some, though... well, her road was not fit for all ears.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:32 am 

So not in the Dragon lands, hm? But she had traveled through the Lion and Unicorn lands...

Poemu shook her head to clear it. It was impolite to guess on a samurai's origin when they were on a pilgrimage! Taking her chopsticks, she took a piece of sashimi delicately. Taking a bite, she smiled. It seemed to be quite good, if she understood what made sashimi good that is. "Oishiii! Mmm, hai, I have not traveled a lot, compared to some. I have been through the Unicorn lands, but only when they were still the Lion's purview. I have been to Miya and Dragon lands of course, and parts of Lion lands, though I mostly only traveled straight to Morikage Toshi."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:40 am 

"A shame... the lands south of Beiden pass are lovely at times. The woods there are old, older than any but the lands of the Phoenix. The places where the things that have lived far longer than us have a certain beauty. The golden sheaves of the harvest in the Lion's plains and those of the Unicorn, they glitter in the dawn's light like gold, but I like the shade of the trees, the flicker of it when the wind blows through the tree tops." She sounded wistful. "What is your home like? To serve as ambassador, you are guest, but I must imagine the mountains feel the same to you."

She smiled, taking one of the simple white fish pieces for herself and chewing it thoughtfully. The stuff at the coast would be better, but with sashimi you had to take what you could get. That was the prize. Different in every town.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:07 am 

"I have seen beiden pass and the lands around it only briefly. It is truly the safest way to reach Kyuden Miya after all. I cannot say I know them well, as all I did was travel through, but the lands just to the north are no less beautiful. If Mari-san ever has a chance, she should visit Kyuden Miya."

She paused. "As to my home... eto... the lands of the Atsumaru are not heavily populated. Kinenkan provice has always been sparsely populated, even Kyuden Agasha itself, for the lands are filled with mountains and volcano, and has little arable territory. Atsumaru lands have one of the largest forests in the province, where my family gathers the resources the main family use."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:23 am 

She nodded. Not unlike the Mirumoto, but not quite so remote as her homeland was, she suspected. Wasako was ... far far to the north, after all. Didn't they say that Kyuden Agasha was the gateway into the heart of those great peaks to the north? So that would make it the northern hills or some such.

"I have been to Kyuden Miya once," she said distantly, a look of some sadness coming to her memory. "I passed through on my way to the Plum Blossom Pass. It's how I originally came to move through Unicorn lands some time ago. A bit of a narrow pass, I must admit, and Kyuden Miya is a lovely place. I wish I'd had the opportunity to linger, but there were other matters I was forced to attend to at the time."

She offered her another piece, putting on a small smile. It was worth noting that she had very clearly and almost pointedly refused to call that pass the Iuchi Pass, instead favoring the older name of the often forgotten path over the Spine of the World.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:17 am 

Small quirks like that were noted by the Agasha, but not commented on. Instead, she took the sashimi with a smile and atr it, no less pleased this time than she had been with the first, her face quite expressive in her enjoyment.

"Ah, so desu. Unfortunately, I have not been back there in a few years. One day perhaps, I will be worthy of continuing with my training and will go back, but I don't imagine I will be leaving Lion lands anytime soon."