It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 5:37 pm

Post subject: I really suck at this [Day 7, Early Evening, Open]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:48 pm 

The numbness within Degarashi's fingers had little to do with the cold of the air around him.

THWACK!

He winced as the bokken chattered to the dojo floor, rubbing his wrist to counteract the backlash from the hit, before picking it up and trying again.

THWACK!

Once again the practice sword hit the ground, and once again he winced.

Degarashi wasn't even sparring, he was striking a training dummy. He'd just never had a very good hold on swordsmanship, pun very much intended.

But Degarashi was frustrated, and couldn't think of much else to do, so here he was, bending down to pick up the wooden blade yet again.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

Post subject: Re: I really suck at this [Day 7, Early Evening, Open]
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:54 pm 

Figuring that the Lion would appreciate seeing someone avail himself of practice and feeling that his knife-work needs work, Seitouna enters the dojo.

Seeing Degarashi at work, he nods to the amateur armorer before taking the mats.

He pointedly makes no comment on the performance. He carries no katana, himself, after all...

Thinking * Speaking Merenae * Speaking Thrane
Generally wears decent kimono & sandals, jitte, wakizashi
Wears extravagant kimono & sandals and wakizashi at court
Almost always has paper and something to write with
Public Profile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:00 pm 

Degarashi didn't usually carry a katana either, but always felt the lack of one made him even less than he already was, so he tried to practice on occasion.

THWACK!

Problem was...

THWACK!

He kept holding the sword...

THWACK!

Like a knife.

THWACK!

Utterly frustrated at this point, Degarashi lost his cool and kicked the sword across the floor.

Fluff Athletics: 6d10o10k3 15

With marginally better success.

Typically carries: Wakizashi, parchment and charcoal, at least one medicine kit, a dark grey blanket, rope and grappling hook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:01 pm 

Well, at least there was one person currently visiting the dojo before the evening drew too late that wouldn't be judging the courtier for his abyssmal technique.... at least not openly. A ronin was going through simple forms methodically using one of the practice weapons. She didn't go after the practice dummies, since this was really more of a meditative focus. Yes, she had actual training with her sword. No ronin would foolish enough not to have at least a little weapons training, even a shugenja. But she really wasn't in the mood to feel the sting in her wrists today.

If either samurai on the mats happened to look her way and she saw, she would bow formally, but she definitely knew better than to approach. Speak when spoken to. The ronin's rule. She caught sight of the Kasuga's presence as well. That one... well, she could probably approach more openly, but still better safe than sorry.

When the bokken went clattering off to the side, she did have to try to conceal a smirk. she managed, barely.

Description, Character Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:06 pm 

Seitouna looks away from Degarashi's outburst. It seemed the best course.

As he did, though, he would see Mari, and he would raise an eyebrow in a way that seemed to say "After?" More, he would offer a short bow, showing respect before anything else.

He pulls a wooden jitte from the racks and assails his own practice dummy.

Strangely, it's super effective.

Public Profile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:13 pm 

She caught the bow and paused in her kata to return the sheathe the bokken and return it, a murmured 'sama' on her lips. Having been acknowledged, she made sure to include Degarashi as well in the bow. For the moment, she seemed content to either be addressed or to stay blended into the nearest wall. Both had their merits after all.

For her part, her form as she retook her stance was neither terrible nor impressive. Of course, kenjutsu was not how she earned her rice, as a general rule.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:17 pm 

Chihaya, feeling the need to stretch after days of marching and the tedium involved, made her way to the local dojo.

Upon arrival, she was surprised to see Bayushi what'shisname attempting to snap a bokken against a training dummy. Taking off her rain soaked cloak, she hung it to dry over one of the training dummies near the entrance.

Bemused, she strolled over at a leisurely pace, hands tucked into her soggy sleeves, the cold seeming not to bother her too badly.

Once she was near, she inquired, "Has that bokken done something to offend, Bayushi-san?"

Profile :: Theme

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:26 pm 

Degarashi was, at that precise moment, attempting to remove the damned thing from beneath the training dummy, having somehow lodged it there with his kick. At the sound of Chihaya's voice, the Scorpion shot a glance over his shoulder. "Hai, Suzume-sama, it made a very unpleasant remark concerning my rakugo."

Giving up on his extraction attempts, Degarashi stood and bowed to Chihaya, then to Seitouna, and gave a moderately confused bow to Mari. His eyes only lingered a moment, though, before his attention returned to the Sparrow. "Perhaps I should stick with fans, neh?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:29 pm 

She's a sensei, in a dojo, speaking.

Of course Seitouna pays attention.

He even takes a knee to do so.

It's only polite.

As is putting the practice knife down at his side.

Public Profile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:32 pm 

Mari caught the hint in how the Kasuga deferred to the latest arrival. She turned, giving the Suzume a low bow before settling into a seated position. She hadn't actually expected a sensei of some sort, or the type to defer to to walk in today, so for the moment it was an excuse to relax.

It really wasn't as if she enjoyed kenjutsu practice, but it was a bad idea to let it get rusty. The Bayushi's comment got a stifled chuckle. Someone around here at least had a good sense of humor about their limitations.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:07 pm 

Seitouna smiles at the fan comment, as well.

If Mari is close enough for him to quietly say it, he'll comment that "Bayushi-san here gave an excellent demonstration of fan technique during a stage play. IT made quite the impact."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:12 pm 

She tilted her head, glancing over at the Kasuga and nodding once. "Ah... the Rakugo? It's been a while since I saw a proper one performed. A pity I missed it," she murmured, keeping her voice pitched low so as not to interrupt her betters. "Nothing quite like a good story to pass the time and put aside the day's travails, for just a moment." They were allowed a moment for that, she clearly seemed to think. She was giving the Bayushi a second appraising look, a bit more curiosity there.

"Perhaps if there's not an army at the gates in the next day, he'll have a chance to share it again." She sounded doubtful. She'd only just arrived and she had definitely not expected what she'd found here. Work was easy to find, but so too were enough refugees for a whole two cities.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:14 pm 

"I doubt it could be repeated", he says. "But I do not doubt he could do so well again."

He will add, "I'm Kasuga Seitouna. Bayushi-san is named Degarashi. The sensei is Suzume Chihaya. Didn't catch your name."

Public Profile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:33 pm 

She smiled wryly. "Of course. No two performances are ever quite the same." Wasn't that the way of a Noh play? That the subtle nuances were seen and part of the performance itself? There was almost a faint chuckle in there. "Once the storyteller has shared the tale, it isn't something that can be taken back. It is there for all and then gone..."

Ahem. "Forgive me, Kasuga-sama. I'm getting away from myself. I am Mari. Just a simple healer passing through town, seeking employ. It appears that... I will have little trouble finding work at this time." There were a lot of people bound to need healing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:34 pm 

"Indeed not, more's the pity", replies the Tortoise. "Better than a need for some other services, however. But you've not been here long, I take it?"

Public Profile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:02 pm 

"I see... perhaps you are more tired from the march than you thought, if your bokken is speaking to you."

Her expression was still bland, almost as much as Degarashi himself. "There are those who claim to speak with their blades, but... barring some spiritual involvement, I'm afraid I have never heard a peep from mine."

Glancing at the two who had knelt, she smiled, and waved a hand, "Please... this isn't my Dojo. Unless you are seeking instruction, I really don't require such respect here."

It was somewhat gratifying, admittedly, that someone at least recognized her experience and vocation.

As for Degarashi, she turned her gaze back to him. "If Bayushi-san wishes to expand his reportoire, I would be glad to give him some basic advice, if not, I would suggest other means of breaking the bokken which will not risk damaging his fingers."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:09 pm 

Degarashi nodded, moving to carefully extract his bokken,and having much more success this time. The dull, throbbing ache in his hands and wrists remained, as did a measure of the grit in his eyes. "Ano, Suzume-sama, I would be honored by any advice you are willing to offer."

He bows, his voice and movements nearly as wooden as his sword. When he stands there is a faint crinkling of paper, from a small scrap of parchment in his obi.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:18 pm 

"Then I shall give it gladly."

She started by holding out one hand.

"The bokken, please."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:19 pm 

Despite having been told he need not attend upon her, Seitouna is not about to pass up a lesson.

He pays attention.

Public Profile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:22 pm 

Degarashi reversed his hold on the training weapon, offering it to Chihaya the way an offender might offer up his blade, and his life, to the aggrieved party. Definitely no subtext could be gleaned from the act, though he did seem to subconsciously favor one side of his neck.