It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:53 pm

Post subject: [Day Eight - Late Afternoon] The Local Brew
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:33 am 

At the conclusion of court, Wasako took the time to wander the streets and get a sense of what was going on in the city. It was deceptively normal here as the streets here had fewer refugees than the other districts. She gave a passing glance at a scribe house and a literature store before finding a modest tea house sandwiched between the two businesses. It was a fortuitous find, considering she managed to secure one of the last tables at the establishment. She made an order for tea and some rice cakes as she watched the rain continue to cover the street of scrolls.

(expecting)

Character Profile • Art by Joanne Kwan

Post subject: Re: [Day Eight - Late Afternoon] The Local Brew
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:53 am 

The rain just would not let up... if she'd known spring would come in like this, she would have brought umbrellas instead f bottles of sake. Still, it's not like most of the refugees who would really benefit from them would be able to pay for them, so the financial side was a moot point regardless. All of which made her feel a bit dreary.

What she needed was some tea and red meat, really. And seeing as a steak probably wasn't going to be found here, she'd just have to settle for the tea.

Stepping into a tea house, she gave her umbrella to the greeter and looked around mournfully; On such a cold wet day, it seemed many had the same idea, even if it seemed many tables were splitting one meager pot of tea amongst many mouths, just for the warmth. It made sense, but it meant a sea of peasants at tables... tables she did not want to a scene at by commandeering just because she was a samurai.

Honor: Expected | Glory: 1.0 | Infamy 0.1 | Status: 1.0
carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:28 pm 

The tea house was rather overwhelming, it almost felt like she was elbows to elbows with some the customers here. However, she still had room to spare and she wouldn't deny another the same pleasure of sitting in a cramped tea house. She noticed Yukarin seemingly looking for a seat and rose to bow to her in order to get her attention. "Good afternoon, Crab-san...are you waiting for someone? If not, you're more than welcome to join my table."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:33 pm 

Ah, a samurai at a table; That would ensure enough room. Yukarin jumped at the opportunity, even if not literally thanks to her geta.

"Ah, Mirumoto-sama, I would be happy to join you. I just came in to warm up and wake up a bit."

The relief on the Crab woman's face as she sat wasn't very well hidden, a smile touching her eyes as she pulled herself into a cross legged sitting position.

"My name's Yasuki Yukarin; Thank you for the seat."

A slight sitting bow.

carries: wakizashi, dice & cup, heirloom jewelry, pearl & jade necklace, tiny Daikoku statue, coin purse, hand fan, silk umbrella, bottle of Golden Carp, sake cups, personal seal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:16 pm 

Wasako sat down once more and bobbed her head twice, quickly reminding herself to do her own introduction afterwards. She would bow in return to Yukarin. "Pleased to meet you, Yasuki-san. This one Mirumoto Wasako of the Northern Wall Mountains. I'm happy to have company around here, especially when crammed in with rainy weather. It's a bit difficult getting used to seeing this many people here at once. I hope that Silver Needle is fine as a tea choice? I also got some rice cakes too."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:40 pm 

The smile stayed.

"More than fine, indeed. It smells wonderful."

Taking a hot cup, Yukarin just held it between her hands for now.

"And I know what you mean; Even Yasuki Yashiki never saw so many. And I've no context for such multitudes beyond that."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:02 pm 

Wasako was more than happy to pour a cup for Yukari and nudge the plate of sweet rice cakes forward. She took her own cup and raised it to her nose to take a breather of its scent before taking a sip.

"Oh...is this Yasuki-san's first time outside of the Crab lands?" She asked curiously. Her dress was peculiar and unlike the fashions she had seen on others locally. It did make her wonder more if they were Crab accessories than foreign ones, considering she had also known very few Crab. "I had the pleasure meeting Kaiu Maiya, who also found herself in a similar situation."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:14 pm 

"Ah, well... not really. After the miai at Dark Edge Village, I technically traveled through Scorpion and Crane lands. But I never really stopped anywhere along the way. And the sea journey north to Toshi no Omoidoso... I think I've been in Lion lands more than I've been in Crab lands at this point."

Yukarin made sure not to talk and eat at the same time, but she WAS quite hungry. So a cake was picked up and bit into immediately afterwards.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:51 pm 

I guess she must really like them. She thought to herself before making the conscious decision to orderr another plate.

"So you've been a variety of places, just in passing! This is admittedly the first time I've ventured down from the mountain and as you can probably see, I'm walking into a lot. It's been a learning experience, at least." She smiled sheepishly on that note.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:00 pm 

"The mountain... is that a literal thing then? I know your Clan lives in the northern mountains, but I wasn't sure living on top of a mountain was literal or not."

It didn't seem an off thought about Yukarin liking them, since she had already finished off the one she took.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:36 pm 

Wasako smiled sheepishly with a shake of her head. It was perhaps in recent history anyone asked that question. "Perhaps not on the literal top of the mountain but where the dojo resides is every much up at one of the shorter mountains on the range. We also have a small village that is found on the plateau. There are always higher mountains, of course, and it is said that the Togashi find themselves sometimes on the highest peaks of a mountain covered by snow all-year-round."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:58 pm 

"I can hardly imagine. I've never really been in mountains myself. They've always seemed so awesome and majestic to me. ...still, I know what we get used to we often grow sick of. Just give me novelty any day of the week. Which, in my case, would be Dragon lands. ...I'll have to think of an excuse to visit a village on top of a plateau some time."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:50 pm 

"I can't say I find myself sick of living in the mountains..." she said, disagreeing with the other woman. "But I would say that our lands are worth visiting if you ever get such an opportunity, Yasuki-san. It would actually be good to hear from other people. We're not just outposts and villages on the mountain. I know that Shiro Mirumoto is probably somewhere that is more in common with other cities...even if also on a mountain."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:02 am 

"I don't mean getting sick of living some place. Just... used to it, you know? Not treating it with the same sense of wonder and awe you get when seeing something new. I think that happens to us for everything, though it can be renewed. For instance, my wonder at the Empire has constantly found things to renew it the past year. And I think Dragon lands could do the same."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:02 am 

"I think I could see that..." she said at first, understanding what she may be getting at. "It's nearly impossible to see and the entirety of the mountain, especially when some areas are covered in snow all year round and others require climbing. There is always a higher mountain and a taller peak. It does make some nearby areas unreachable, funny enough. There are some tales of people falling from the mountain, so it doesn't exactly make it all that appealing either. What we're left with is pretty normal, if plain."

"Coming from the south, the Dragon lands are perhaps closer here than the Crab lands. I would probably get a guide if you are thinking of traversing up any mountains without any roads, however."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:46 am 

"Haaaai. I would definitely plan ahead if I wanted to do such things. Maybe take my husband along; He's pretty handy, after all.... and yeah, probably hire a local. And a chef. And maybe an artist..."

Her words drifted off and she chewed on a cake thoughtfully; Apparently the Yasuki had a vision for how this would all go.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:04 am 

"Hm...I don't know if you would need an artist or chef when travelling up the mountains..." she said curiously, finding it strange. "But I suppose you wouldn't have much need for preserved rations if you could make everything fresh. Unless you also plan to bring some Crab cuisine to your intended destination? Is there something they don't make elsewhere in the Empire?"

She took a sip of tea and topped off both their cups with fresh tea.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:11 am 

"Well, if I could bring ingredients instead of rations, it would be healthier and more fulfilling, no? And since I don't know a thing about cooking myself, I'd just have to make sure to have someone along, that's all I mean. As long as it's fresh, it doesn't really matter if it's Crab or Unicorn or local dishes, neh?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:31 am 

"It would be..." she murmured as a woman who was satisfied with just a steady diet of riceballs and the occasional vegetable while she was on the road. It was almost a bit much to comprehend, especially as a necessity. "Rations or packed food might be easier to keep around, however. I take it that Yasuki-san is used to travelling with a large entourage?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:41 am 

"I... guess so? I am mostly used to traveling while I was a member of the Unicorn. And, obviously, we brought along all our food and supplies with us on the road, as it were. Along with all the people we would need. So I suppose I am used to traveling with others in a way?"