It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:17 am

Post subject: Re: [Day 7, Early Afternoon] A Good Leader Seeks Wisdom
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:47 am 

"I would make a proposition to you. I am in need of someone who is trained in speaking with the Kami. A healer, and a scholar. My men require teaching, and I require the experience of leading and making those under my command fight with me with loyalty and ferocity. I am not like most from my clan, and if you choose to follow me, you will learn that soon. I have some ideas that are frowned upon by most, though I personally believe them to be something worthwhile and blessed in heavens eyes."

"You would be required to live with me, under my protection and care, and I would provide for you. And you would have your freedom as well, to a point. When I have to attend court, I bring my Budoka with me, and therefore I would bring you as well. When I must go to war, you must follow me and fight even if it requires your death."

"But at the end of it, I would want us to be equals, if only to each other. Would an offer like that be intriguing to you?"

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho
Court: Decent quality kimono and courtiers fan

Budoka's Tsuruga and Fuwa's Eqiupment:
Battle: Ashigaru Armor | Han-Kyu, Quiver w Willow Leaf Arrows | Yari
Court: Kimono

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:59 am 

Well, that was a mouthful wasn't it? She didn't even pretend to hide the faint shock. Deep down, she was well aware of the fact that a ronin who was a shugenja instead of simply a sellsword was a bit of a prize. They were rarer than gemstones even if they only knew the most basic of healing magic like she did. However, the Kitsu were a thing well known for their powerful water magic and thus battle healing, which was a consideration. She did not want to end up becoming the sort of thing that brought offense to the betters of her better.

That and, just how ... avante garde this woman was actually remained to be seen, not to mention the fact that they had just met... She reached up and tapped at her lips before answering.

"-Sama, what you offer... is close to a ronin's dream come true," she admitted. It was a paycheck, a steady promise of work. The risk of one's life was simply the lot of shugenja. "But I think perhaps it might be best if I ask your leave to consider this offer, so that you may have the chance to see my skills and be certain of my abilities. We will have the opportunity if what I have heard is true, and I would wish you to know me more certainly first."

She glanced away. "Besides, if you wish scholarship... you will want another. I know no scholarship that would benefit your budoka."

Description, Character Image

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:06 am 

"They need to learn what we know as samurai. They need to know etiquette, proper prayer, literacy, the list goes on. I am sure you have things of use that can teach them to free me from the tasks, and more than likely many spiritual matters that I simply do not know where you do. "

"You are right, it would be best to see your skills first, but let us not mince words. You will be sought after by many, and I thought it best to give you the offer first, if you havn't already had one. I have a task to complete, and the only way I can do what my lord requires me and what I need to do for myself, is to gather more who would follow and fight for me, while I fight for my lord."

"You can take your time to decide, but soon this city is going to be in chaos. The enemy that follows is brutal. I know, for I commanded some of the defenses against him in Toshi no Omoidoso. If you find yourself alone when he comes, you may not walk out alive."

Mogami's Equipment: Battle: Light Armor, Yumi, Quiver w Flesh Cutter Arrows, Daisho

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:22 am 

She'd had at least one other offer already, actually, though far more of caring for the local refugees. A hen's tooth was a healing shugenja. She knew it. But the Matsu wasn't wrong. If what little she'd heard was true, this was an effort to claim the throne, which meant that every army in the empire would ultimately be brought to bear. Not a good time to be standing alone.

"I will say that I have no intention of standing alone when the battle is joined. The people of this city will need healing, as will its defenders. It isn't always the privilege of a ronin to choose their side. Sometimes, we are caught up in the crest of the wave." And, like it or not, she didn't feel like she was being given much of an option to even remotely consider siding with the Iron Chrysanthemum, at least not right now. No point worrying about a decision taken from her hands.

"For the moment, I will consider your offer. It is both gracious and good to know that it is there," she added. "As for your servants, I can share with them some of what I know. I think I know a few things that would be fitting."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:28 am 

Mogami looks over the woman and then nods.

"Very well. Take as much time as you need, and then seek me out. One last thing though, Mari-san. These men are not my servants."

She motions toward her budoka and nods.

The taller, older man speaks, his voice gruff an unlearned.

"Originally assigned, then offered choice. We chose Matsu-sama."

The other man nods in agreement. He was much younger and well spoken.

"In Toshi no Omoidoso, in from of the sensei Kayou. She asked if we wanted our freedom to live life as we saw fit, provided for by her, and given land and homes on her family estate. But, the fact is no matter how much Matsu-sama gives us, to the rest of the empire, we can still be cut down in the street just to test their blades sharpness. So, we fight for her and follow her. Not because we have to, but because we want to."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:44 am 

"Budoka then. Ones who have placed your name to her banner. No, I think I understand, Lion-sama," she said, nodding to the two of them. "I... haven't met too many such as yourselves. I admit that I am... surprised to hear anyone say such a thing."

Well, that wasn't universally true. She could believe it of the minor clans. The Sparrow in their humility. The Fox... well, what had once been the Fox. The Kasuga in their closeness to the peasants. "For what it is worth, Lion-sama, you have the approval of a humble ronin for that." She did in fact believe what she was saying. It was novel, rare, but nice to see she supposed. "I should be interested to see what comes of your journey in the end, if Meido does not claim me first."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:48 am 

"And I yours, Mari-san. Thank you for your time, and the recommendation."

She gives a shallow bow and a very brief flash of a smile.

"When you make your decision, please either seek me out, or have a letter sent for me. There will be no harsh feelings for whatever you choose, and should you wish it, I can even forget I met you, if you promise to do the same."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:53 am 

Now that... would be a feet that might impress me

The thought glimmered at the bubbling, quiet surface of her mind. Mari was very much accustomed to how much she resembled every other samurai you met on the side of the road, a ronin who blended into a thousand other like herself. It had its merits from time to time, though it had become more of a private game for her. Would a samurai truly remember her a month from now?

She returned the bow formally. "Of course, Lion-sama. I doubt I could forget you, and I will keep you in my thoughts in the coming days. We will not have long before those thoughts must become reality, no doubt." If the Steel Chrystanthemum had to lay siege to Toshi no Omoidasu? Perhaps he would be a week in coming here, but little more.

"Fortunes favor you, -sama, and your budoka."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:58 am 

"Heaven's blessings go with you."

She puts the book back down where the ronin had picked it up, but makes a mental note of its name. She certainly couldn't just pick it up in front of everyone without buying other things to conceal it, what would the gossips think?

Turning to walk further down the street, she keeps her eyes out for more of what she was after.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:05 am 

When the woman had departed, Mari quietly looked down, musing over her words. Did the heavens favor the clanless, she wondered? Her fingers touched the book and she glanced over at the shopkeep before pulling out a bu. "I will take a copy of that, if you have it," she said, flicking it towards him. He caught it and tested it with his teeth before handing her the book. She slipped it into her pouch, idly deciding it wouldn't hurt to see what so fascinated this woman about these novels.

Besides, it was another story to tell... maybe in a private gathering. Either way, with that, she put the hat back on her head and departed down the street into the heart of the rain.